This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

which algae?

Discussion in 'Algae Control' started by yme, Sep 20, 2008.

1. yme

yme Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    4:32 PM
    dear all,

I seem to have some kind of algae/bga/gda infestation in my tank. the problem is that I do not really know what it is. on leaves, it feels a bit slimy and it can be partially be rubbed off. when you do that in a bowl, you get green water. it also grows on the flourite black as well as on the glass. within 2 days I see a film of this algae.....
    It does not seem to be green dust algae since I was on vacation for 3 weeks: the glass was covered with this algae, I removed it after the 3 weeks together with big waterchanges, but within 2 days it was already growing again. So, nothing of this 3 week cycle which seems to be a popular method to get rid of gda.

any idea??

greets,

yme

2. yme

Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    come on guys! no reactions??

any way,

I grew some algae within 3 days on a coverslip that I placed in the tank. then, I took some pictures with a microscope:

alg20x.jpg

alg40x.jpg

greets,

yme

3. VaughnH

VaughnH Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Wow, from your first post I would say it is green dust algae, which can take more than one 3 week growout attempt to get rid of. Surely that microphoto will enable some of the experts to identify it exactly. If Tom is back, I'm sure he can do so.

4. yme

Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    oewh! tom writes..... he is back!?

in any case, according to the "all knowing internet", gda seems to be a Ankistrodesmus species. when I google I only find needle shaped structures. very different from mine. So no GDA?

Any way, I thought to give it a bump... (and tom sees my post sooner...)

thanks anyway VaughnH!

greets,

yme