where to get plants?

hani

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jul 27, 2007
can someone recomend a website for buying plants (it has to be mail order)?
thanks

Greg Watson

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
United States
Generically I like AZGardens.com ... but a lot of people don't like their shipping charges (I just accept them)...

However ... there are a lot of alternatives well worth checking out. Most of the alternatives have developed a reputation of being good at certain species and perhaps a little weak on other species ... so if you want to stick to commercial or semi-commercial distributors you can find what you like ...

All that said ... some of the best sources of plants are "Bucket Deals" ... privately contact some of the hobbyists that post pictures of larger aquariums and try to cut a deal with them to have them fill a $13.95 Flat Rate Large Priority mail box with cuttings the next time they do a major pruning job on their tanks. Most will be happy to send you all of their excesses and will usually toss in a whole bunch of small plants ... so offer them $20 plus the $13.95 postage ...

With a bucket deal, you are not going to know what you are getting ... but you will be getting VERY HEALTHY plants that you know are doing well for someone else ...

Greg

deucebiggss

Guru Class Expert
Aug 31, 2009
I used AZGardens had now issues and the plants were decent. The shipping is out of control though, but as Greg said, "I just accepted it". The other thing was I think they just grab any old box and throw the plants in it. It was not the best package job, but I didn't order a box I ordered the plants. How are the plants from AquariumPlants.com?

uncleddie

Junior Poster
Dec 23, 2009
South Carolina near Charlotte, NC
Very interesting. I almost posted this yesterday! I have had the exact same experience with AZ Gardens. I like them a lot... except the shipping and I live on the East Coast. My last order was great though. I put in an order with Aquariumplants.com last night and will get the order on Friday. I will let you know. Ordered: Rotala roundifolia, Ludwigia arcuata, Hemianthus micranthemoides, Hemianthus callitrichoides. Great question. Thanks for posting!

uncleddie

Junior Poster
Dec 23, 2009
aquariumplants.com

wow. I said I would post my experience:
• they arrived a day early (YAY!) :D
• no visible pests.
• they had all I was looking for in one shipment, that is why I went with them. Shipping? Fair, but they upgraded me for no charge. So, great.
• I received very generous portions (I think I ordered too many!). Will be trimming this weekend. The plants are ALL leggy and new growth should grow shorter under 100PAR (Rotala roundifolia and Ludwigia arcuata--though I am questioning Ludwigia, because the leaves look wider; could be emersed leaves)
• HC looks good, though I think it was grown emersed as well. Nice roots though. I flipped my moss floor up to become a moss wall and noticed the moss is starting to take root on the mesh. It took maybe 6 weeks. Slow grower? It has been pearling the past few days. Read Tom's living cork wall article and will attach some baby Java ferns eventually.
• now just waiting for PNK from www.aquariumfertilizer.com should arrive Saturday (?) ;)
• I may have too may plants, BUT I am taking heed of Tom's advice about planting heavily from the start. It is only a 7-gallon nano so easy to re-tool scape. Will post full specs and pic when water clears. probably Sunday after water change. Might move a few as well.:confused:
• overall aquariumplants.com? I will order again. very nice. :cool:

uncleddie

Junior Poster
Dec 23, 2009
After some research looks like Ludwigia arcuta are actually Ludwigia repens... phone call will be placed later this morning, will let you know how that goes. Also have too much Rotala roundifolia and the Ludwigia now (and had to make room, so displaced 3 Cryptocoryne wendtti), so re-looking at scape. Don't want toooooo much red. Maybe trade w/ lfs? or sell here though I don't know how to do that.

uncleddie

Junior Poster
Dec 23, 2009
I did contact them on Friday to question the Ludwigia. The dude I spoke to was clueless, just an office worker but asked me to call back. I did. I spoke to a knowledgeable associate and he mentioned that the Ludwegia arcuta was grown emersed and have a much different form (my suspicion confirmed; i didn't need to ask him). I trimmed them down quite a bit to promote some new growth, and tweaked my acape today: so far so good! Also spoke to quality lfs about buying my excess plants and now have anew friend... they will find a home for them and I'll get store credit. As for the bottom line on aquariumplants.com, I will certainly use them again. Also got my NPK from www.AquariumFertilizer.com today so ready for the new dosing plan as found in EI. Water change tomorrow. Lots of posts Hani, but hopefully a new resource for you: www.aquariumplants.com

bikerdude

Junior Poster
Jan 2, 2010
sounds like your dealing with aquarium plants.com was better than mine, I won't use them again

bikerdude

Junior Poster
Jan 2, 2010
I bought all the equipment to set up a planted tank from them, I was new to planted tanks, but have had aquariums foe a long time. So I counted on these people for advice. Thet sold why more lighting than I needed, 12 T5 at 39 watts each for a 150 gal tank. Then about every time I called for assistance there was only one guy that knew anything. When I did get ahold of him, I was constanly being put on hold will He took other calls. Then when it came time to order plants he wanted to send a sample shipment of 5 plants next day air. I asked him to sent more than 5 to make the cost of shipping worth it. I got 5 plants, shipping was $28. Then when I ordered the full shippment I asked that I know when it was going to arrive so I got take a day off from work to plant them. He assured me that UPS was upgrading the shippment to next day even though on line at there web site it said 2nd day. That day I had to work late the plants had to sit in the box until the next day.

Biollante

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2009
Surprise, AZ
Good Plants

Hi,

My experience and I have heard a number of folks say about the same thing.

aquariumplants.com is a wonderful place to get plants, but some of the non-plant stuff they advertise is questionable.

I have never had a single problem with any of the plants.

Biollante

barbarossa4122

Guru Class Expert
Dec 29, 2009
NYC
Biollante;45541 said:
Hi,

My experience and I have heard a number of folks say about the same thing.

aquariumplants.com is a wonderful place to get plants, but some of the non-plant stuff they advertise is questionable.

I have never had a single problem with any of the plants.

Biollante

I was looking real hard at aquariumplants.com to get quite a few plants. I could not make up my mind which on line store to use but, now I know. Thanks Biollante.

Btw, I am getting second day air and the temp in NYC will be between 38 and 42F. Hope this is warm enough.

Last edited by a moderator:

Biollante

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2009
Surprise, AZ
Shouldn't Be A Problem

Hi,

On second day air as long as someone is available when they arrive, really should not be a problem. :)

Even though I have never had a problem with aquariumplants.com, I still inspect them carefully, quarantine and/or sanitize. :gw

Good luck,
Biollante

barbarossa4122

Guru Class Expert
Dec 29, 2009
NYC
Biollante;47055 said:
Hi,

On second day air as long as someone is available when they arrive, really should not be a problem. :)

Even though I have never had a problem with aquariumplants.com, I still inspect them carefully, quarantine and/or sanitize. :gw

Good luck,
Biollante

I am home to receive the plants. I'll ask my my wife to inspect them real good. As far as sanitize, I read that a 19:1 bleach solution deep for about 2 min will do it. Thanks Bio.

Philosophos

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Mar 12, 2009
The 19:1 bleach dip is a bit harsh. Potassium permanganate is a preferred method; 1/2tbsp in 1 gal, soak for 10-15min. Some say just turn the water dark pink with PP.

Last edited by a moderator:

Biollante

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2009
Surprise, AZ
I Am With Dan, KMnO4

Philosophos;47074 said:
The 19:1 bleach dip is a bit harsh. Potassium permanganate is a preferred method; 1/2tbsp in 1 gal, soak for 10-15min. Some say just turn the water dark pink with PP.

Hi,

I am with Dan, 19:1 or 20:1 bleach is harsh, Potassium permanganate, KMnO4 is a much better choice. :cool:

From a source such as aquariumplants.com, Alum (available on the spice rack in most supermarkets) will also work two or three tablespoons per gallon for a couple of hours for the microscopic bugs to two or three days for snails, snail eggs and such. ;)

Biollante

barbarossa4122

Guru Class Expert
Dec 29, 2009
NYC
Biollante;47130 said:
Hi,

I am with Dan, 19:1 or 20:1 bleach is harsh, Potassium permanganate, KMnO4 is a much better choice. :cool:

From a source such as aquariumplants.com, Alum (available on the spice rack in most supermarkets) will also work two or three tablespoons per gallon for a couple of hours for the microscopic bugs to two or three days for snails, snail eggs and such. ;)

Biollante

I'll look for Alum or PP tomorrow. Thanks again Bio.

shoggoth43

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 15, 2009
Finding PP around here is pretty tough. I've done the bleach dip. 3 minutes for the stronger/tougher plants, 2 minutes for the delicate stems/grasses. If you do this, expect HEAVY losses of leaves and high plant mortality. Swords handle this reasonably well actually, but it's still a scorched earth method.

I'll have to try the alum idea if I can find it>

-
S