This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Where to find or how to keep healthy cardinals

Discussion in 'Fish for Planted Tanks' started by wheatiesl337, Aug 26, 2013.

1. wheatiesl337

wheatiesl337 Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    12:01 AM
    I have been trying to stock my tank with a school of cardinals for a while now. I have tried a few LFS in the Davis and Sacramento, CA area, and all of their cardinals have come in sick and look terrible. I have tried bringing some home a few times that looked relatively healthy, but very few survived transport and quarantine. Maybe I just havn't tried the right one.

I have heard cardinals can be sensitive, but this can't just be me right? I use remineralized RO water, heaters, and I keep an eye on temperature. I have tried water ranging 150 tds to 250 tds. I have quarantined them in a planted 10g with cannister filter, 10g quarantine with sponge filter, and in my sump refugium. No luck. Am I missing something? Please let me know if any other information would be helpful for an answer.

I keep CRS and a variety of neos, so I thought I had any water quality issues eliminated. Are cardinals that sensitive to water parameters, or are these unhealthy stock?

Can anyone suggest a good source of tank-bred cardinals, locally or shipped?

2. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator

Local Time:
    Depends on the batch and how they are cared for. I get about 200-300 at a time and them change the water and feed them well. A good filter, good flake food etc, this will fatten them up and then brine etc later.
    Wholesalers have issues, but it's mostly the batch, some are tough, some are not.

3. wheatiesl337

wheatiesl337 Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Thanks for the response. I ordered some high quality flake foods to spoil the next batch with and try to fatten them up good. Do you use live brine or does freeze dried work well enough? Do you recommend any proactive de-worming or other medicating when you get in a new batch of cardinals?

I am fairly certain my issues have just been the terrible batches from the wholesalers lately, so I will be patient and keep my eye out.

I also wouldn't mind a suggestion for a reputable mail-order source of cardinals if anyone has any.

4. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    I have never had to work that hard to keep cardinals healthy. :O that is poor luck my friend.

I HIGHLY recommend The Wet Spot Tropical Fish based out of Portland. I try to order all of my fish from them. I have ordered a good amount of fish 3 times and not one DOA. I have been very impressed.

5. UDGags

UDGags Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    I have wild cardinals in my 125g from Wet Spot and would HIGHLY recommend them. I buy all my fish and shrimp from them.

I live in Ohio and they ship from Portland. I've never had an issue with any fish....cardinals, oto's apistogramma, amano shrimp, etc.

6. grumble69

grumble69 Junior Poster

Local Time:
    I've read that cardinals like stable water parameters. Do they mind the ph changes from diy co2?