Where to buy Fe DPTA?

barbarossa4122

Guru Class Expert
Dec 29, 2009
NYC
jonny_ftm;48399 said:
And why should they do? HEEDTA is quiet near in behaviour as EDTA, much cheaper. Let's say, HEEDTA is between DTPA and EDTA in PH stability, so not worth the investment. As I know, only TPN uses HEEDTA

We really dont need to toss in water every chelate we hear about. Make it sinple, use some CSM+B or TPN and complete it with DTPA, far then enough for most aquariums. Unless you try growing plants in PH+8 water, you won't need EDDHA too. On the other side, I don't think many plants will grow in such a high GH/KH water as we see in african cichlid tanks: few plants can thrive in there

I guess you are right. I do use TPN to supplement the CSM+B dosing. The EDDHA I bought as part of a group buy with Wet , to experiment with it. I guess, I got nothing better to do, for now.:)

jonny_ftm

Guru Class Expert
Mar 5, 2009
I'm not sure using TPN + CSM+B is of any help. Only difference is TPN is much less dosed. The gain between HEEDTA and EDTA should be marginal especially with the very low doses of Fe in TPN. Better to get some DTPA instead to complete CSM+B

barbarossa4122

Guru Class Expert
Dec 29, 2009
NYC
jonny_ftm;48406 said:
I'm not sure using TPN + CSM+B is of any help. Only difference is TPN is much less dosed. The gain between HEEDTA and EDTA should be marginal especially with the very low doses of Fe in TPN. Better to get some DTPA instead to complete CSM+B

Hi,

I have DTPA from GLA . Depends on how I feel that day, I use either CSM, TPN or Pfertz or all 3 on the same day.

Wet

Lifetime Members
Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2006
USA
For clarity in regards to EDDHA's coloration of water: As far as I know I am the only person who has taken and posted pictures of EDDHA dosing in an aquarium, and I think those pictures may be confusing some folks about how much small concentrations of EDDHA tint the water.

This is a tank that gets ~0.015ppm of Fe from EDDHA (and ~0.2ppm from other Fe sources) daily. It will be a familiar tank to those who I think are using the previously mentioned threads:
tank_20100326.jpg

The water is not actually that pink: the building behind the tank is pink. See these pics where you can see the off-white windowsill for an idea of the color:
rindica_lguinea_20100326.jpg

right_side_20100326.jpg

See what I mean? It's like 9325K lighting. Not ugly.

I do see the point about it not being worth the time with DTPA available and with such low concentrations. But, still interesting, and still doing well in my first tank with flowers, the nicest L. "Guinea" I've grown, etc. May be correlation, but I think my Fe dosing is solid.

HTH

Wet

Lifetime Members
Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2006
USA
Thanks, barbarossa4122, and thanks again for posting so much of your experiences with it and being so game to experiment. Very helpful.