Where to buy Fe DPTA?

Koen_v_V

Prolific Poster
Feb 27, 2008
Holland / The Netherlands
Hi Guys,

As I have 6KH water in my tank with not very high CO2, I'dd like to try Fe DPTA next to CSB+B and Iron 10% from aquariumfertilizer.com.

But where can I find Fe DPTA to buy from in decent quantities (for a decent price)?

Hope someone can show me....

Cheers, Koen.

barbarossa4122

Guru Class Expert
Dec 29, 2009
NYC
Sprint Fe 330 Iron Chelate Micronutrient ( 5 Lbs.)

( a.i. Chelated Iron ( Fe ) Derived from: Diethylenetriamine pentaacetic acid ... 10%)

Sprint Fe 330 Iron Chelate Micronutrient is formulated to produce dark green, healthy plants. Sprint 330 iron chelate is unlike non-chelated or weakly chelated irons, the strong Sprint chelate maintains and protects plant available iron in turf, containerized and field grown plants, trees and shrubs. This product is a 10% fully chelated DTPA Iron that performs best in slightly acid to slightly alkaline soils with a pH of up to 7.5.

http://www.bes-tex.com/products.php?kei=132

Hope this helps.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tug

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 5, 2009
Washington, DC
1/2 lb of FeDTPA will last a long time. The way I see it, I saved them $35.00 unless they are going to sell it off to other members. They didn't say what they knew. So how was I to know?

barbarossa4122

Guru Class Expert
Dec 29, 2009
NYC
Tug;48339 said:
1/2 lb of FeDTPA will last a long time. The way I see it, I saved them $35.00 unless they are going to sell it off to other members. They didn't say what they knew. So how was I to know?

Yes, it will last a very long time but, I thought he wants to buy a lot of Fe. Good idea is to do a group buy and it will cost $9.00/pound + the shipping. I also bought 1/2 lb from GLA about 1 month ago and I am OK for a few good months.:)

Gilles

Lifetime Members
Lifetime Member
Aug 6, 2008
Netherlands
Problem with all those irons is that it colors the water like hell (blood red). I am switching my own 'store' to Ferronous Gluconate, which is not as long lasting, but doesn't color the tank.

jonny_ftm

Guru Class Expert
Mar 5, 2009
Rex Grigg sells DTPA, the best service ever, worldwide delivery at low prices, in the quantity you like

@Gilles

Only EDDHA colors water in red, not the others. I don't think Fe-gluconate alone can replace DTPA in all conditions.

Tug

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 5, 2009
Washington, DC
Thanks Gilles,
I forgot about that. I knew something turned water red. I haven't had that problem with FeDTPA. I will however, be adding Ferronous Gluconate to my list of things for daily dosing.

P.S. I can't get the English version of your web site to work.

Koen_v_V

Prolific Poster
Feb 27, 2008
Holland / The Netherlands
Hi,

Thanks for the quick responce, the deals are looking good. I'll try to dig into this a little deeper, as I'm currently at work. Hopefully they will ship to the Netherlands.
No problem to buy 5 pounds or so, I can try to distribute over here in my aquarium association. And shipping is not cheap, so doesn't make sense to ship just half a pound or so.

Cheers!

barbarossa4122

Guru Class Expert
Dec 29, 2009
NYC
Gilles;48359 said:
Problem with all those irons is that it colors the water like hell (blood red). I am switching my own 'store' to Ferronous Gluconate, which is not as long lasting, but doesn't color the tank.

Yes, they do. Also the Sprint 138 turns the water red but, If I dose only 10ml in my 55g, it doesn't stain the water red. Sprint 138 solution I made, thanks to Wet, is : 2.5 tsp in 500ml water.

barbarossa4122

Guru Class Expert
Dec 29, 2009
NYC
jonny_ftm;48363 said:
Rex Grigg sell it, the best service ever, worldwide delivery at low prices, in the quantity you like

@Gilles

Only HEEDTA colors water in red, not the others. I don't think Fe-gluconate alone can replace DTPA in all conditions.

I checked Rex's site and I can't find HEEDTA. Maybe you meant DTPA.

nipat

Guru Class Expert
May 23, 2009
barbarossa4122;48371 said:
Yes, they do. Also the Sprint 138 turns the water red but, If I dose only 10ml in my 55g, it doesn't stain the water red. Sprint 138 solution I made, thanks to Wet, is : 2.5 tsp in 500ml water.

How often do you dose that solution per week?

From my experience, if I dose Fe-EDDHA daily in small amount (0.015 PPM). After 7 days—water change day,
the water will look like black-water biotope. So I quitted when Fe-DTPA was available.

Fe-DTPA will also stain, but a lot less. I can stand that, even at 0.166 PPM per day.

barbarossa4122

Guru Class Expert
Dec 29, 2009
NYC
nipat;48375 said:
How often do you dose that solution per week?

From my experience, if I dose Fe-EDDHA daily in small amount (0.015 PPM). After 7 days—water change day,
the water will look like black-water biotope. So I quitted when Fe-DTPA was available.

Fe-DTPA will also stain, but a lot less. I can stand that, even at 0.166 PPM per day.

Hi,

The solution is about 0.02ppm and I dose 10ml, 2-3 times/week. Btw, when I'll run out of Sprint 138 that's it. I'll stick to DTPA and the Flourish Iron.
http://www.petstore.com/Seachem_Pon...ves_Fertilizers-Seachem-SC9161-PDPCPC-vi.html cheap.

jonny_ftm

Guru Class Expert
Mar 5, 2009
barbarossa4122;48373 said:
I checked Rex's site and I can't find HEEDTA. Maybe you meant DTPA.

Sorry, my mistake, I edited my above post

Rex Grigg sells DTPA Fe 10%, he's the only retailer selling DTPA worlwide at small quantities with very low shipping fees (letter fees)

Using EDDHA at so small quantities is really a non sense in my opinion. Plants do perfectly without it.

DTPA stains water if used in high quantities: yellow aspect. Using a 0.1-0.2ppm 3x/week is far then enough for most plants and won't stain water in a significant way. Reducing CSM+B and completing with DTPA resolves these staining issues. The yellowish stain is usually not a problem for most aquariums. The reddish looking of EDDHA is really ugly

jonny_ftm

Guru Class Expert
Mar 5, 2009
barbarossa4122;48386 said:
OK. :) I wonder why Rex, GLA, Aquariumfertilizer and so on do not sell HEDDTA.

And why should they do? HEEDTA is quiet near in behaviour as EDTA, much cheaper. Let's say, HEEDTA is between DTPA and EDTA in PH stability, so not worth the investment. As I know, only TPN uses HEEDTA

We really dont need to toss in water every chelate we hear about. Make it sinple, use some CSM+B or TPN and complete it with DTPA, far then enough for most aquariums. Unless you try growing plants in PH+8 water, you won't need EDDHA too. On the other side, I don't think many plants will grow in such a high GH/KH water as we see in african cichlid tanks: few plants can thrive in there