This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Where am i with my lighting?

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Mike Horstman, Jul 29, 2013.

1. Mike Horstman

Mike Horstman Junior Poster

Local Time:
    9:06 PM
    Hello everyone this is my first thread on this forum so hopefully all goes well.
    So I'm wandering where I am at lighting wise. I have a densily planted 20g mostly med-high light stems. I dose pps-pro and glut. I do pwc every week. My paramaters are Ph 7.4-7.6 ammo 0 no2 0 no3 10-15ppm po4 1.5ppm (slowly trying to get it higher). My current lighting is what I'm wandering about. I have a 24" current USA nova extreme t5ho 2x24w true lumen bulbs one is 10000k the other is a roseatte on 6hrs/day (i plan on upgrading both to geiesmann midday bulbs soon) I also have 2 CFL bulbs in 8.5" clamp lamp domes they are G.E. 26w 6500k 1610 lumen daylight bulbs and there on 3 hrs a day (slowly increasing there on time as there new additions). All my lights are 5"from the water line. So would this be considered high lighting? Or did adding the two CFL's really not help much. Also should I lengthen the time the CFL's are on? Any info or advice is greatly appreciated.

2. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator

Local Time:
    I'd try the Zoomed Ultra and then the plant bubs, or the Aquawave Red wave with the Sun wave mix, these are both cheap and have nice color.

2x24W on a 20 is a plenty of light.
    Not likely you need the added lighting.

That's a lot.

8-9 hours of light, this is about all you need.
    I'd add CO2 gas, not more light.

3. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator

Local Time:
    I'd try the Zoomed Ultra and then the plant bubs, or the Aquawave Red wave with the Sun wave mix, these are both cheap and have nice color.

2x24W on a 20 is a plenty of light.
    Not likely you need the added lighting.

That's a lot.

8-9 hours of light, this is about all you need.
    I'd add CO2 gas, not more light.

4. Mike Horstman

Mike Horstman Junior Poster

Local Time:
    I did have diy co2 along with the glut but I got some riccia and found out the glut melts plants so I moved the diy c02 to one of my other planted tanks so I wouldn't mess up the balance in this one. I do plan on going pressurized but not for a few more months. I am dosing the glut at 1ml/2g. Since my t5 light has a single poor reflector and old bulbs was why I added the CFL's as I have some high demand stem plants. I was just hoping I was on the right track. I like the geiessman brand so thats what im going with would I be better off upgrading my reflecters when I replace my bulbs. Thank you for the responce.