When's PlantFest 2008?

creighton

Guru Class Expert
Jun 18, 2007
I have to start saving up now. I'm broke as a joke!!! Give me a deadline so I know how many month's I have to save my lunch money for :p . I'd rather go hungry that miss this years PlantFest!!!

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
I'm thinking July(right after the 4th) or early Aug first week.

Regards,
Tom Barr

rusticitas

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
May 4, 2006
Pennsylvania
I'm not familiar with PlantFest, other than seeing some old(?) references to it. Is it typically held in the same place, or different areas around the U.S.? I'd be interested in finding out more to see if it's viable that I could attend.

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
Gainseville(Freshwater) and Long Key(Marine portion) Florida.

If you are not familiar. TFH did a piece on it, as did DFWAS:
DFWAPC Member Gallery

See page 2, plant fest 2K4

View all the pics and see for yourself.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Orlando

Subscriber
Feb 20, 2007
This would be wonderful, where in Gainesville? I will be there for sure. Any dates or info on 2008 plantfest?

Orlando

Subscriber
Feb 20, 2007
Did I do something wrong? I live in Gainesville and I know Bert would like to know, or maybe he already knows the scoop on plant fest in Gainesville. Im excited and would like to have a plant fest after party at the Farm. Please for the love of beer and wine not to be wasted. I need more info.

Best Regards, Orlando

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
Hi, it'll be in G ville.

I'll be bringing the GF, I often stop to see Bert when I'm there.
We usually meet in the mornings by Archer Blvd near the I-75 overpass. Folks eat at the waffle house and stay at Motel 6 or any fancier place they chose, but the prices are cheap and if you have two to a room, then it's 20$ a day about. Food is cheap.
So we go to a few sites, IFAS and the aquatic weed lab + Ichtucknee one day, Lower Suwanee + Rainbow River, Santa Fe river + Waldo for wood/rock, few other spots along the way if time and energy permits. Folks are worn out and sick of plants by the time I'm done with them.

I have not firmed up the dates just yet, but they are after the July 4th week.

Regards,
Tom Barr

rusticitas

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
May 4, 2006
Pennsylvania
For my planning purposes...

I've never attended a PlantFest, nor get out in nature enough (IT geek). But I want to start to change that.

What should I plan on bringing clothing-wise, meds, equipment (cams?), etc. I should start gathering that now. Would hate to get caught ill-equipped and have a bad time.

Just need some pointers and basic help with a list. I'm sure others on here would benefit as well!

-Jason

Orlando

Subscriber
Feb 20, 2007
Here in G=Vegas its going to be nice and hot for you maybe some huge rain here and there. So bring an umbrella, koozie cup holder, big camera, extra socks, Paddle, life jacket, sunglasses, emergency shovel, toilet paper.

Orlando

Subscriber
Feb 20, 2007
Yeah, although the Sherpas would be cool. This should be fun. I have never been to a plant fest. I wonder what go's on there?

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
Nothing you have not done if you live there, nor Bert has either, just a bunch of folks that are not familiar with FL springs, rivers and swamps.

I drive them around, toss them in the water, then yell "Gator!":p

I take them tubing down Ichtucknee, I have an underwater video camera that I'll take this year, it has pics as well.
So that will be nice.

After 6 miles of that, then a BBQ, they are fairly tired.

Sat, we head to Tom's driftwood.
Then to Rainbow Springs, canoe and check out the Crypts in bubbling spring via a gate and Park permission.
Then we drive to Lower Suwanne, then on to Cedar Key for din din.
Come back, pass out.

Sun, if you have time, we do the early trip down the Santa Fe to Buck's island.

So clear water, blackwater, lots of fish, more plants than you can shake a stick at(no one has ever been able to beat that claim yet).

Lots of wildlife.

Regards, '
Tom Barr

Orlando

Subscriber
Feb 20, 2007
Ive never done that. I have seen it done on TV before. I dont have the guts to stick my hand in a muddy hole that I cant see in. Haha! man thats funny!

creighton

Guru Class Expert
Jun 18, 2007
I'm totally serious. Ever since I saw a special on PBS I've wanted to at least try it. Some point this summer I'm definitely going to try and catch a catfish with my bare hands.
What's crazier that noodling is the old black men in the New Orleans levies that catch huge snapping turtles with their hands. And what's even crazier is their BAREFOOT!!!

I tried to buy this book from amazon, but It was back ordered for like 6 months.

Barnes & Noble.com - Books: Noodling, by Richard E. Faler, Paperback

I may try to get it soon.

Orlando

Subscriber
Feb 20, 2007
I tell you what Ill do , I will bring the camera and film it. Then we can send it to PBS and show them what happens when you noodle in Florida aligator infested waters. Nahh! just kidding , lets do this!

rusticitas

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
May 4, 2006
Pennsylvania
"Noodling"

Seriously, no offense, but that is the stupidest thing I've ever heard of. I heard about that, it is just asking for some wicked infection.

It can't be referring to using one's "noodle" (brain)... :)

creighton

Guru Class Expert
Jun 18, 2007
Noodling can't be the stupidest thing you've heard of. What about snake charming and gator wrestling :) ? It's definitely one of the toughest/burliest things you could do, but it sure isn't the safest or smartest. I've always been into stuff where there's a little risk involved. When I do go noodling I'm deffanately going left handed just because I don't want to learn how to write with my other hand if I lose a finger or two :p. Hopefully I won't get an infection, but I know I'll get a few scars. I don't really want to make noodling hobby. I just want to try it at least once and see if I can't "wrastle" me a catfish to the surface. It's the purest form of fishing, and its really awesome to catch things with you bare hands. You know people were sticking their hands into deep dark holes trying to catch dinner long before someone came up with a rod an reel. I guess I can't even really say because I haven't noodled, but that's just my take on things.

You only live once!!!

But back to the PlantFest topic....What plants will we get a chance to see in the wild?

Thakns,
Creighton

VaughnH

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2005
Sacramento, CA
"You only live once!!!"

The goal is to make that one time be of a decent length.

I can't find my pith helmet, so I will not be able to join the plantfest.