When is PlantFest 2005?

reiverix

Lifetime Members
Lifetime Member
Jan 29, 2005
Re: When is PlantFest 2005?

I'll be getting with the Barr to get an proposed itinerary together along with the usual info on hotels, etc.

It will get posted here for sure as well as on the DFW site.

reiverix

Lifetime Members
Lifetime Member
Jan 29, 2005

It's earlier next week Tom. :gw

Tom Barr said:
I'll let folks eariler next week.
Stay tuned.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005

Yep, I'll send it to Ricky tonight.

Regards,
Tom Barr

reiverix

Lifetime Members
Lifetime Member
Jan 29, 2005

Got one but there was a glitch. Waiting on Tom . . .

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005

Hehe,
I's better send it this nite, not a few later huh?
:gw

Regards,
Tom Barr

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005

Just email me PM and I'll put you down.
You'll need to send the payment to my email via paypal or just pay in person will work also etc.
The events are 75$ for ther Fw and the $ same for the SW.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005

FW:

Fly into Tampa.

Friday:

7:45am meet in the lot at Motel 6 off of Archer in Gainesville.
Drive to IFAS to see the Center for Invasive Aquatic Weeds. Meet with Dr Haller, noted world expert of aquatic weed control. They have posters of plants, finder keys, etc, we saw rare Caspian sturgeon there last year, who knows what this year.

Dr Haller is a character as are many there at the research center.
We will leave at 9am and head out to Ichetucknee springs.
We will park the cars at the south end and take the shuttle bus to the front head springs. Cost is 4-5$ per person for the park fee and the cost of the rental inner tube.

Some of us will head to Blue hole prior to starting down stream.
We will all launch downstream from there and end up at the end and hike over to the cars and do a BBQ if it's not raining too much.

The Ichetucknee River is about a 6 mile trip down a clear hardwater spring full of plants (close to 20 species all told) in inner tubes, and be sure to have a snorkel, mask and maybe even some fins. It is a fun day and you will see more plants than you can shake a driftwood stick at. Its take approximately 4 hours to complete the trip. Even if you don't care about plants, you'll have fun doing this.

BBQ after the trip down. Someone please bring some BBQ biscuits and something besides fish. BBQ is steak, hamburgers and at worst hot dogs.

After all that eating, a side trip to swim in head spring or see Blue Hole if there is interest. Of course mother says you have to wait at least 30 minutes after eating to swim. Most folks will be pooped out so, it will be an on the fly decision.

If we are done somewhat early then we'll stop over at Waldo's for driftwood. Tom will try and arrange something there so its is open. Aquatropics is the local fish store and we can wander over there as they are open till 9pm.

We may also stop over an see the head waters there at River rise to look for more weeds or perhaps Rum Island.

Perhaps Dr. Kane's tissue culture might also make it in there.
I'll see if he is available, he's still not sure.
Most would love to see his operation!

I have several things going here for a reason: rain.
We may switch things around depending on the weather.

Saturday
8 am
A canoe trip up and down parts of the Rainbow River. We will hopefully get canoes early at the park. If not, we can get them at the county park downstream. I will try to reserve several canoes if possible before heading to the Crypt patch. Visibility in the river is 200 ft. Swimming, plants, fishing and collecting outside the park. There is an arranged plant visit to see the Crypts there like last year.

We'll then will head to the a Hydrilla infested lake to show how weeds can really screw everything up.

From there we will head to the Lower Suwannee River and stop off along the road for some 20-30 plants species and many good examples of blackwater pools and streams. From there we will head to Cedar Key for a nice dinner overlooking the sea.

Sunday -
8am
We will head to Blue and Salt springs on the other side of the Lake wales ridge this year. Lots of fish, plecos and several different species of plants.
There is a 45lb pacu and plecos running around.
Salt springs is very salty and fish and plants(weeds) still do well.

We are still not sure about Everglades nursery for late Sunday.
I hope to get there around 1-2 pm for a tour and purchasing.

I'll know for sure Monday. If not, we will definitely go there Monday afternoon.

Monday
Later Monday, we will go to the Public aquarium in Tampa and I speak on aquatic plants to the local club there.

The FW officially ends Monday but many will head back Sun evening.

Folks will be after:

After the freshwater sponge that grows on Hydrilla, the freshwater pipe fish, water scorpions, blue fin shiners, Madtom Catfish, FW flounders, southern darter, pygmae sunfish and of course wood.

Cost:
Food is cheap here.
Canoes run about 8 - 16 dollars per person and park fees are about 1 - 4 dollars. Hotel is about 29.99 per night.

We'll plan for about 15 people but if more come we will accommodate.
I'll be renting a passenger van. You are liable for knowing how to swim, injury etc and other obvious things. Folks do this all the time here and the locations are safe, but there are inherent risk associated with water safety and I will review a few things each time.

Do not remove anything from a state park. They will cite you 200-500$ and we will not be allowed to do anything again there.
There are plenty of weeds along the road.

Tues we get up early and start the Marine plant fest.
How to Get to Plantfest

Air
GNV Gainesville, FL 0 miles
JAX Jacksonville, FL 71 miles
ORL Orlando, FL 114 miles
DAB Daytona Beach, FL 117 miles
TLH Tallahassee, FL 156 miles

Accomodations

Motel 6 is about the cheapest place and the one here is nice and is close to many stores/eateries. Check the website for the current pricing but it usually runs $36 per night for single, $42 for doubles and $3 each for up to 4 people per room. Now if you folks want to room together, 2 people $21 each per night, 4 people $10.50 per night and kids under 17 are free. That's pretty darn cheap!

The number for reservations is 352-373-1604.

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005

Marine plant fest.

If you have never seen a seagrass bed or a macro algae bed, you are in for a real treat.

Tues: 9am
We will meet in Key Largo at "Dive Direct". It's a huge dive shop on the right hand side as you first come into Key Largo off of 1.
We will island hop towards Key West and look for various plants along the road. Tues night we will stay at Key West in a dorm like setting.
Lots of night life there.

I would suggest a shorty wet suit(hence the Dive Direct shop).
This also prevents intense sun burn without adding lotion.

This will keep the various critters from stinging, irritating folks.
Jelly fish stings are common in some places, I've spent a week here without one and then a day with 4-5. Like a nbee sting but not quite as intense. Wet suits are great for protecting and for extra floatation.

If you are cold intolerant, I would suggest one.
If you are doing the Fw version, might want to get one then for that part.

Weds:

We will rent a boat to go to the Reef, search for the giant Caulpera, see how algae balls are made, and then to the reef.
From there we will head to the other side of the island and stop off at a mangrove forest and explore the roots.

From there we will head back as most will be exhausted.

Thurs:
Option to rent another boat and stop off at an island and reef crest area, collect some macro algae and then head home!!!
Most collecting of species for home will be done at the end and last minute.
We will not take but a small amount for ID and herbarium presses, and a little for your use. No piggery or hording. This is for your tank only.

We will share the cost on the boats which run about 150$ for a 1/2 day, so with 10 folks that will be only 15$ each time.
We will see Barracuda and lots of other fish, sea Turtles, jellyfish etc.
Don't wear shiney objects.

Folks only need to be able to swim reasonably well, an hour of bobbing on the surface can take a lot out of you.

Each evening we will ID our day's collection.
We will eat as we go from location to location and stop off at the local food places.

See you all there!!!

My cell phone will be posted shortly so folks can get a hold of me as they come into Tampa or Miami.

I will drive back to Tampa with the van Thursday evening/afternoon.

Folks can stop off at the Big Cypress swamp, gator wrestle or what not on their way home.

Next year I'll arrange an air boat ride for folks for the FW version.
See ya all soon!

Regards,
Tom Barr