This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

When is it save to plant utricularia graminifolia in a new tank? and other questions

Discussion in 'General Plant Topics' started by Omegatron, Jun 22, 2013.

1. Omegatron

Omegatron Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    7:13 AM
    Well the title says it all, im planning on starting over with my tank using ADA AS amazonia.

I've been reading a lot of mixed stuff about this beautiful plant. Some people say that the utricularia graminifolia wont do well in a newly setup tank. And i would like to know if this is true or not. Also im gonna do a submersed start.
    So if you fine people have any tips for me how to treat this plant right from the beginning I hope i will be succesful with making a nice carpet with it.

Probably not the right forum section for this question but when using new ADA AS with plants in it. Do you need to start immidiatly with the EI method or do i need to wait a couple of weeks or so?
    And what a bout water changes? A lot of people do it differently but is what is a succesful method. How much waterchanges per week etc is reccomended when starting up while all the plants are in it with this aquasoil?

Also I want to add blyxia japonica and as background i was thinking about Eleocharis Vivipara but if you guys have better suggestions to go with UG and Blyxia Japonica pls let me know (its going to be an iwagumi scape)

Im using 2x T5 Juwel Day lights 9000k each. Since its a juwel tank the lights are 1 or 2 cm above watersurface this would be 0.40 or 0.80 inch. Waterlevel to substrate is around 45cm (18 inch). I can add 2 extra T5 lights if needed but i dont know if it would be too much.

Im using pressurized Co2 (with UP atomizer) and I have 2 filters: Eheim 2071 and the Eheim 2036. Also using the Hydor Koralia nano 900 liters powerhead.

Sorry for a ton of questions, but thanks for answering them!

Thanks!

#1 Omegatron, Jun 22, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 22, 2013
  2. Yo-han

Yo-han Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    It has nothing to do with a new setup or existing setup IME. It's just that UG takes a few weeks converting from emersed to submersed. I've setup a tank over a month ago with only UG as carpet:
    sxdh77.jpg

It is starting to grow finally and only in 3 areas, the other areas are still recovering (I'll try to take a photo next week, it is not at my home). Maybe if you can get submersed UG it would convert easier.
    I've added emersed UG at an existing setup as well, and it still took a few weeks so no difference whether it is new or not.

About the lights. I grow it under low-medium light. Maybe add reflectors but it doesn't need very high light. Just make sure you've enough CO2!
    A second personal experience which I probably shouldn't mention on this forum:p is that it grows better with low nutrients. More people noticed this and knowing where it grows in nature this is not very weird. It always did better in my ADA tanks than in my EI tank. But I've seen a great carpet in Toms tank as well, so it might be due to something else.

See this Tropica article: http://www.tropica.com/en/plants/plant-articles/utricularia-graminifolia.aspx

3. Omegatron

Omegatron Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    Thanks for all the info yo-han, much appriciated! Im going to buy the plants from aquarium-planten.com i dont know if they get their stuff emersed or submersed.

If been reading on http://www.thegreenmachineonline.com/articles/tips-techniques/working-carpeting-plants-and-grasses that you shouldnt add any liquid fertilizers the first 6 weeks, is this info correct? Or do you people just start with the EI method right from the start?

Ug wil be the front plant and i wanted to add blyxia japonica in the middle with the rocks, now im looking for idea's for the background plant. I still have some vivipara left but can you guys think of any other background plants that would look good with blyxia japonica and UG?

and any idea's about the waterchanges how frequent from the beginning? i.e. 2 or 3 times 50% or something else?

thanks.