When Does Aquascaping Become "Collectoritis"?

C

csmith

Where's the line drawn? Is it merely grouping well versus random placement, or is there more to it? I've seen some awesome aquascapes that have just as many different species as other tanks where people have been advised to cut down on what they're using. What's the difference?

C

CL_

I'd say it's based on what the aquascaper/ planter says it is mostly. If someone other than the owner of the tank says it's collectoritis, it probably looks cluttered/ messy, IMO.

dutchy

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Jul 6, 2009
The Netherlands
For Dutch aquascapes there is a "golden rule", which is max. 1 species of plant for every 4 inch of tank length.

regards,
dutchy

C

CL_

Wow, I've never heard that one, dutchy. At least not that I remember. I may have read about it in an old library book years ago where dutch aquariums where basically the only style, and all of the pictures were of metaframe tanks.
Cool information. :)

shoggoth43

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 15, 2009
That brings back some memories. I really miss my victorian tank. 5 gallons, mastic cement, stainless frame and slate bottom for the lamp fired "heater". I forget how it got damaged. :(

-
S

hbosman

Guru Class Expert
Oct 22, 2008
Leesburg VA USA
dutchy;53330 said:
For Dutch aquascapes there is a "golden rule", which is max. 1 species of plant for every 4 inch of tank length.

regards,
dutchy

Can you post a link describing the rules of the Dutch style? I want to give it a try, it must be in the genes. ;-)

Wet

Lifetime Members
Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2006
USA
I like that "rule", too. Also explained in a way that makes me think of the big groupings of single species of stems that make Dutch tanks so striking and pretty.

In another way for csmith's question, if you get a new species because you cruised online forums and just had to have it, then have trouble making room for it or have to toss it in the back somewhere, and try to justify it by saying it's just storage between tanks or something, it's probably collectoritis in denial. Ot at least those are my symptoms.

Last edited by a moderator: