This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

What's your opinion about aeration during night?

Discussion in 'CO2 Enrichment' started by fablau, May 7, 2012.

1. fablau

fablau rotalabutterfly.com
    Staff Member Moderator

Local Time:
    2:55 AM
    Hello here,
    I was reading ADA aqua journal October 2011 issue, and they suggest to aerate water during night to help plants breath as well as microorganisms better thrive.

What's your opinion on this? I am currently stopping Co2 diffusion during night, but never thought to really aerate.

Looking forward for your thoughts.

Best,
    Fab.

2. Wwh2694

Wwh2694 Member

Local Time:
    10:55 AM
    Hi. They have the lily pipe that create a vortex for surface movement that serve as a aeration 24/7. U just need to make sure the outflow of you filter is pointing a little upward to create a surface movement but not a wave type of surface movement. That will removed most of the co2 overnight and exchange o2 24/7. If u have a drop checker u can see it in the morning buy the color change back to blue/green from yellow. Aeration at night is very beneficial specially if u have some delicate fish.

#2 Wwh2694, May 7, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2012
  3. fablau

Staff Member Moderator

Local Time:
    Thank you for your reply. Does that mean that should to "move" upward my outflow every night?! Wouldn't that be something unpractical?

4. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    I aerate some tanks at night...others I do not. I do so on my 48 gallon tank which has a lily pipe mainly because of the oily film that will develop if I do not. My other smaller tanks have a greater ripple that prevents this. I lift my lily pipe every night before going to bed so it aerates the tank.

5. Biollante

Biollante Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    When In Doubt Aerate!

Hi,

Heavily planted tanks with large critter populations and closed loop filtration should, in my ever-humble-potted-plant opinion have extra aeration.
    :)

Biollante

6. Wwh2694

Wwh2694 Member

Local Time:
    On my ADA lily pipe it creates ripples and vortex on the water surface I don't have to raise it up and down it does it 24/7. Now when water goes down during evaporation, the ripples and vortex increases. You need to have a good strong filter to have a vortex effect on a lily pipe.

7. fablau

Staff Member Moderator

Local Time:
    Ok, I will look,to increase surface agitation during night despite I never experienced issues with any organism,living in my tank, I have Amano and Red Cherry shrimps breeding all the time together with several other fish... And I must say that my tank is full of plants. But as I said earlier, I do stop co2 at night ( from 2 hours before lights turn off to 7 hours before light runs on for a total of 9 hours off)

Thanks.

8. Biollante

Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    There is No Right Or Wrong Answer...

Hi,

If everything is fine, why change?
    :confused:

Biollante

9. fablau

Staff Member Moderator

Local Time:
    Well... You are right! I do have some little algae problems I am struggling with lately. I've got some GDA and small brush algae, so I am revising my complete strategy and so I am just "considering" night aeration as part of it.

Thanks!

10. Biollante

Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    A Little Change...

Hi,

Sometimes we all need some change!
    :cool:

[video=youtube;J-wV_YGmPSk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-wV_YGmPSk[/video]

Biollante