This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. Dismiss Notice
  2. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

whats the deal with nesaea pedicellata?

Discussion in 'Aquatic Plant Species' started by samh, Aug 25, 2011.

1. samh

samh Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    9:23 PM
    Thanks guys for the detailed responses i feel like i'm heading on the right track in the way of co2. My problem may still be in the way of increasing flow through the reactors, maybe by selling my current brand name manufactured reactors and diy'ing my own larger volume ones out of pvc similar to the one Tom did, clear pvc seems hard to find down here.

My question about increasing o2 aeration when co2 is off was to determine if the increased o2 levels would carry over to the early stages of the photoperiod when the plants haven't produced enough o2 themselves.

To put it clearer haha becuase i'm not very good at explaining myslef and i'm grateful for your patience:). I'm using a ph controller i have set the level on the controller to click off just before the fish start to gasp, this was done late in the photperiod. In the morning though the fish are breathing quite heavy until halfway through the photoperiod which i presume is when the plants have produced enough o2 to unstress the fish...

Hope this makes sense .... :confused:

2. Biollante

Biollante Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Oh Well… If I Am Hijacking A Thread May As Well Hijack It Good!

Hi jaafaman,

Aesthetics are a fine reason for doing anything that is otherwise, safe, legal and ethical. :)

The fact is that CO[SUB]2[/SUB] is cheap, readily available, and depending on your politics of global warming, generally harmless.

In and of itself there is nothing wrong with using the aquarium as a CO[SUB]2[/SUB] reactor, the problem comes with the unsupported speculation stated as fact.

The basic glass diffusers so popular in our hobby are essentially taken from the wastewater industry and are very efficient means of placing CO[SUB]2[/SUB] in solution in a 10 foot (305 centimeter) column of water moving at 3 miles-per-hour (~5 kilometer-per-hour). The major problem I see is that most of our aquariums are less than 10 feet deep and even the highest turnover systems come nowhere near 3 miles-an-hour in water flow.

In your 75-gallon tank, let’s assume 70-gallons of water (265 liters) to keep 30-ppm CO[SUB]2[/SUB] you need to maintain 8-grams of CO[SUB]2[/SUB] in solution plus gas exchange loss and plant use.
    A reasonably efficient way to accomplish that are the simple counter-flow devices you see all over the place, here many of them use powerheads to generate the flow.

I have used gravel vacuum and a small pump to run an 80-gallon tank for many years with diy CO[SUB]2[/SUB]. Overall I manage something over 33-ppm CO[SUB]2[/SUB], though it all comes down to circulation and flow.

What we actually see is not a smooth distribution of CO[SUB]2[/SUB] but shifting areas of higher concentrations. ;)

Actually Fick’s laws tell us that we should expect that, though for whatever reasons this angers many Gurus,:eek: I am not sure why.:confused: Could be they just harbor ill will toward Adolf Fick?

Since water with CO[SUB]2[/SUB] in solution is heavier than water without, there is a downward component to the flow. We see eddies forming and collapsing, this seems to provide a distributive advantage to systems that have an overall direction of flow.:)

I tend to like end to end flows, I refer to them as uphill-downhill, Dutchy describes a flow that I have seen as quite effective that is rather as you describe, front to back.

These directional flows seem to also help even the distribution of nutrients and oxygen as well.:cool:

Biollante

3. Biollante

Biollante Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    CPF---Critters First Policy

Hi Sam,

If the fish are showing any signs of distress, difficulty in breathing, run the air stones.:gw

Particularly until your system is mature, a year or so, there are any numbers of reasons for oxygen depletion. You need to make and keep the environment safe for your critters. ;)

A problem with our systems is that different elements are in direct competition for the same resources, a very efficient biological filtration system is another way of saying that the bugs in the filter have won the resource battle, possibly at the expense of your favorite fish or plant.:rolleyes:

It is all so marvelously complex!:gw:cool:

Biollante

4. samh

samh Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    Alright after following the fert regime suggested by biollante I have noticed a definite improvement in some species of plants. however co2 may still be an issue. I'm running a ph controller after trying the solenoid and timer thing for a while with no obvious change. With the ph controller I reach my gasping point in roughly 45-60 mins. The bubble rate is quite high there's no separation between bubbles in the counter. I'm testing to see how this goes with the current feet regime.

One question though I think my gh is fluctuating. I was told to dose 3tsp of caso4 and 1tsp of mgso4 3 times a week. I notice though that this seems to be altering the gasping point in which I set the controller the day after I dose the calcium and magnesium. It was originally set to 5.8 at beginning of the week now at the end it's 5.98 and I've seen this happen both weeks?

Will this dosing be raising the ph? Can I reduce this dose to 1 or2 a week?

Sam

5. Stan510

Stan510 Member

Local Time:
    1:23 PM
    This has been ..unusual. I bought a reddish pink plant that I thought was Ammania. After planting..it sure was not Ammania. Fine..lets see what it does..then all the red faded to plain green. Contemplated a future of it as just another green stem plant. Lately with some heavy iron dosing..the top new growth is golden yellow. On purpose yellow,not starved yellow,lol.
    Being that its near dead center in the tank..I hope it grows ca-razy as it wants. I got lucky.

6. Phishless

Phishless Lifetime Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    4:23 PM
    Sadly the revival of many of these old threads is futile.
    Many involved in this thread have not been seen in 5-7 years.

Ammannia pedicellata was one I was growing well and selling for quite some time.
    Senegalensis was even better but I've sold it off completely over a year ago.
    I've got some gracilis that looks like pig vomit right now, soon to the trash.

Any pics of this lucky plant???

7. Stan510

Stan510 Member

Local Time:
    I just plow ahead on threads. If they dont come back its alright..I usually just say my experience. Some of my recent posts here on Barr? already are listed on google. Like the Columbian river of blood Algae plants and some iron talk.
    A,pedicellata is my tentative ID...it was sold as Nesaea.
    I'll try tomorrow and take a photo..my camera is just not good at focusing through the plexi. Seeable,but not too sharp.

8. Stan510

Stan510 Member

Local Time:
    Here's the Neasea. It was red when I bought it a week ago..now yellow. Either its some new cultivar or my conditions made it super yellow very fast. IMG_1526 (1)x.jpg

9. Phishless

Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Does not look like emersed or submerged ammannia golden.
    Looks more like a ludwigia species in your pic.

Going from red to yellow could be not enough light?

A quick search on the web and maybe you can positively identify?

10. Stan510

Stan510 Member

Local Time:
    I'm positive that it was SOLD as Nesaea-ha. It was written on the glass. The plant in back is Ludwigia. I tried to crop out what wasn't what..but Nesaea fronts the other.Maybe Golden Nesaea is red grown emerged..goes gold underwater? The Ludwigia is the one with rootlets on the stems.Nesaea are bare.
    It's getting light..top LED and Fluorescent light,bright indirect sunlight in the mornings and direct sun for 2 hours in the afternoon. Cloudy rainys day like in nature, ,make it vary. Time will tell I guess if its nature or nurture.

#50 Stan510, Jan 13, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2020
  11. Stan510

Stan510 Member

Local Time:
    You could be right Phish. It might be a ludwigia,because the owner was at the store and I bought THIS as Neasea--
    On this,
    signed,
    Confused. IMG_1528 (1).jpg
    Some things go in pots,some in the substrate...depends if it has runners or if I want more,or the same amount. Also,I will pot up some as they grow. No Vallisneria going everywhere.

12. Phishless

Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Much better pic of the red one.
    Possibly ammannia senegalensis or gracilis.

13. Phishless

Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    What are the hammered green leaves on the right?
    Crypt?

14. Stan510

Stan510 Member

Local Time:
    See? The last two bunch of stem plants were BOTH called Nesaea. Now,Ammania is what I think that last one is also. But the first is still hard to figure..not enough growth to tell if its just the very newest growth thats golden yellow.
    Have to take my foot off the iron accelerator..seeing some green algae juuuuust starting. But ,you see that Sword bleheri and the C.balansae? they too have put most of that big growth in a month and half of iron dosing. Both plants for a year were very slow. That Seachem iron is miraculous and I cant get why nobody else has seen big changes using it. Maybe it+ soft water is dynamite?

15. Stan510

Stan510 Member

Local Time:
    Thats Cryptocoryne balansae. Was one plant last year..then grew into six this year,and all just about doubled in mass since the Iron was started less than 2 months ago. It also loves the window sunlight..yet..couldn't really get fast growing until the iron got it going.

16. Phishless

Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    The plant in the left rear looks like a Ludwigia repens or variant there of.

17. Stan510

Stan510 Member

Local Time:
    I added one more bunch to what you see. They are $5 a bunch and with 4 bunches it give the 240 a punch of color in the middle RIGHT NOW!..and right now is even faster than Co2..lol.;)

18. Stan510

Stan510 Member

Local Time:
    NOW,I wonder if its really Nesaea crassicaulis?...in photos they all look the same. Mine only said Nesaea.