whats the best/cheapest lighting?

danski

Junior Poster
Apr 10, 2007
i use compact flourescent but was wondering what is really the best bang for your buck(in the cheapest sense)? can you set up some regular flourescent lights and do just as well? it is pretty expensive to replace cf bulbs. how should one go about this?

Mooner

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2006
Colorado
Please tell us what kind of tank you are talking about

ie. CO2, Excel or non-CO2/non-Excel.

Chris

VaughnH

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2005
Sacramento, CA
We need to know the size of the tank as well. Four foot fluorescent tubes are widely available in many types, while 30 inch tubes are very hard to find.

Crazymidwesterner

Guru Class Expert
Feb 3, 2007
Dixon IL
I use regular fluorescents and had some success. I do have issues growing some plants but I am relatively sure that is due to me just being a novice. Another issue is CF fixtures tend to look better in my opinion. The tank in my sig is all regular 40 watt fluorescents

danski

Junior Poster
Apr 10, 2007
sorry..im runnin a 29gal with co2 pressirized,pretty heavily planted..i see fixtures that use flourescent tubes like the all-glass fixtures so i was wonderin how good these are..im probably better of just replacing my cf bulb ha? my tank is 30in long...dan

VaughnH

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2005
Sacramento, CA
When I had a 29 gallon tank I was amazed to find that there were no 30 inch fluorescent tubes available at all, with the exception of the LFS variety costing an arm and a leg apiece. So. I started with a three tube 24 inch T8 setup, with reflectors I made myself, trying to keep the cost down. I ended up spending at least as much as the AH Supply light kits, and that made it very easy to decide to replace the lights with the AH Supply light kits. I had twin 55 watt lights for most of the time on that tank. I had made my own hood. So, for me, the AH Supply fixtures were the cheapest way to go, and far more effective than the more expensive three tube 24" setup.