Whats happening

Wolfie

Jun 5, 2021
Southend uk
Hi all, new to group, i have an issue with these plants (I D if possible from pic).
Have been using EI FERTS since tank set up 5/5/21 mixed to instructions and dosing to instructions, 10ml of both macro, mico on alternate days, 50% W/C every sunday now cycled.
So when tank cycled(week 4) added live stock, 6 Amano, 2 Otocinclus, 3 Horned Nerite snails and 5 Galaxy Rasbora, plants all growing well, had a trim of stem plants, replanted tops.
Went away for 3 days and when got home noticed tht new growth looked deformed, checked nitrate levels and they are at 0ppm all other levels are spot on, so upped dosage to 15ml, over the following 7 days to today my Nitrates are still at 0 ppm, i know test kits are not that reliable but thought would atleast show some increase, all others are still spot on. How can i go about increasing Nitrates, today upped dosage to 20ml as now new leaves are going a browny colour. Any advice would be very much appreciated. TIA

16234350559284752657233387298301.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Gorillastomp

Dec 26, 2020
Canada,Quebec
Hi all, new to group, i have an issue with these plants (I D if possible from pic).
Have been using EI FERTS since tank set up 5/5/21 mixed to instructions and dosing to instructions, 10ml of both macro, mico on alternate days, 50% W/C every sunday now cycled.
So when tank cycled(week 4) added live stock, 6 Amano, 2 Otocinclus, 3 Horned Nerite snails and 5 Galaxy Rasbora, plants all growing well, had a trim of stem plants, replanted tops.
Went away for 3 days and when got home noticed tht new growth looked deformed, checked nitrate levels and they are at 0ppm all other levels are spot on, so upped dosage to 15ml, over the following 7 days to today my Nitrates are still at 0 ppm, i know test kits are not that reliable but thought would atleast show some increase, all others are still spot on. How can i go about increasing Nitrates, today upped dosage to 20ml as now new leaves are going a browny colour. Any advice would be very much appreciated. TIA

View attachment 17090
You could make a reference solution to test put your water test kit. There is a post in the estimative index section of this forum on how to make them for nitrate and phosphate.

After dosing your aquarium you could test out for nitrate after a couple minutes to make sure its mixed into the water. If your nitrate are still 0 it means your dosing is too lean or you macro concentration is lean on the nitrate side. This is implying your water test kit is working correctly.

If nitrate is shown on test then goes to 0 after couple days, you will need to dose more or more frenquently during the week.

Keep in mind it takes 2-3 weeks before the plants adapt to a new regimen. But once your ferts dosing are correct you should see improvement in the new growth of the plants. Old, crooked leaves will stay like that.