Whats beter shorten de time of lower the intensity of light

dbazuin

Guru Class Expert
Dec 30, 2009
Hi,

I now have 2,6 watt a gallon and it is on for 12 hours a day.
I have some GDA on my front glass en something like that on the older leaves of the Alternanthera.
Also there is some moss like algea on the back.

I have changed the dosing routine and increased the the CO2.
CO2 is up to 40 ppm, the N, P, K and traces are well up to EI level.

People suggest I better turn down my light. The lamps have a 80 watt option so I can go to 1,7 watt a gallon.
On the other hand I also can leave it on 2,6 but go for a our or so less lighting.

So what is the best way to go for me.

Greetings Dirk

dutchy

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Jul 6, 2009
The Netherlands
Hi Dirk,

I can tell you what Tom said to me when I was using 2,5 WPG and 12 hours:

"Cut down to 10 hours. 10 hours is enough for aquatic plants"
"I would not go more than 2 WPG"

Did you read this article?
http://www.barrreport.com/showthread.php/6972-The-light-limiting-growth-management-method

Seems like we have the same issue with the GDA :) Since I'm using around half the amount of light compared with you light doesn't seem to be the reason.

Regards,
dutchy

dbazuin

Guru Class Expert
Dec 30, 2009
Dutchy,

I have the light on from 8.45 to 20.45. Whats your timing?
I would like the light on to 20.45, so I should start later like 10.45, would that be fine?

I am wondering what is better .3 lower then 2 or .6 higher?

Greetings Dirk

dbazuin

Guru Class Expert
Dec 30, 2009
If i decide to go to 1.7 watt for 10 ours.
What is the best way to go. Change it all at once or one lamp to 80 watt and a few days later the other one. And when thats done shorten the time for both.

Greetings Dirk

dutchy

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Jul 6, 2009
The Netherlands
Hi Dirk,
Here it's 10.30 to 20.30. Personally I would not change it all at once but do it gradually like you suggested. Anyway still more light then me. And my plants grow very well. The good thing is I have to trim and prune maybe once every month to six weeks. Less management is my objective. Nice looking plantgroups keep looking nice for a long time.

regards,
dutchy

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
If you can angle or point the lights away from the glass, this should also help.

You can also try more later after it's gone, but wait a few weeks.
2.6W is still fine etc, but realize it's pretty bright with T5's etc.

But I'd suggest running them maybe 8 hours if you decide on more intensity.

Regards,
tom Barr

dbazuin

Guru Class Expert
Dec 30, 2009
Hi Tom,

I can understand that less intensity is less demand for CO2 and everything else so that it does not run out of it and can keep growing al the time the light is on.
But what is the use of going shorten then the 10 ours you say the plants are active?
I know running 10 ours with 1.7 watt a gallon. Compare to the 2,6 I used to it is pretty dark, but on the other side it looks more natural.

I try this for a few weeks and see what happens.

Greetings Dirk

dbazuin

Guru Class Expert
Dec 30, 2009
Hi

I have put the light back to full power becouse things where getting worse. Even de Hygrophila polysperma almost stopt growing
I still have it 10 ours on. I don't understand why I should set it to 8 our. After a few days I can see things are getting better.
I have removed the alternanthera and replaced it with L. Aromatica. Also I bought a Barclaya longifolia. Mine lfs had it in stock after a long absence.
I guess that 2.6 watt is not to much when the bulbs hang about 9 inch above the surface.

With the calculator Wet made, I have recalculated my dosing.

I am going to replace my filter canister wit a bigger more powerful one.
So I will get a better flow.

So things are going good.

When everything is settled I give the alternanthere a new change in minor rol. And maybe I use the alternanthera rosaefolia then.

Just like to keep you guys informed.

C

csmith

dbazuin;50451 said:
I am going to replace my filter canister wit a bigger more powerful one.
So I will get a better flow.

Just get a powerhead, save some money.

dbazuin

Guru Class Expert
Dec 30, 2009
Hi,

dutchy suggested that same idear in a private mail but I don't want to much hardware in the tank.
And this way I get more filtering capacity to.

I was wondering if it is a good idea toe get a lily pipe style output?

Riba

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Feb 14, 2006
Holland, Eindhoven
dbazuin;50462 said:
Hi,

dutchy suggested that same idear in a private mail but I don't want to much hardware in the tank.
And this way I get more filtering capacity to.
Why would you want more filtering capacity? I'd would not add more filtering capacity, but keep the new filter partially empty resulting in even a bit more flow.

shoggoth43

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 15, 2009
Another option might be to replace the current return spraybar with a manifold providing two or three outputs back to the tank. You could power that with either the Cannister filter or with a separate pump outside the tank. Any of the options discussed will likely cost far less than a replacement cannister filter unless you have a buddy getting rid of one, in which case why not use it?

-
S

dbazuin

Guru Class Expert
Dec 30, 2009
Riba - That is a idear. The one I have in mind has three trays so I good leave one empty.

I don't use a spray bar. I have a singe output in the right back corner that is at ± 45 degrees.

I thinking in replacing this one with a lily type oiutflow.

dbazuin

Guru Class Expert
Dec 30, 2009
The new filter is up en running. It is a Eheim professional 3e 2078.
I have great flow and excellent filtering. tomorrow when I have time a go and figure the 12 ouhr change option. So I can set it a bit slower at knight.
I has 4 canisters en a pre filter that you can clean separately. So I have 4 liter Eheim substrat pro in it plus the ceramic tubes from the old filter.

The L. Aromatica crows very good. This week I add some ludwigia arcuata, Ceratopteris siliquosa, Echinodorus latifolius, 1 Cryptocoryne wendtii and 1 Cryptocoryne beckettii.
So it is fully planted and growing. Also I increased the water change 50% a week.

Greetings Dirk