This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What's a freshwater fish I can use in my tank under 1"

Discussion in 'Fish for Planted Tanks' started by julian14julian, Jul 30, 2008.

1. julian14julian

julian14julian Junior Poster

I'm looking for tiny fish to have a school of in my 55g. Let me know if there are any aquarium fish that small

2. Gerryd

Gerryd Plant Guru Team
    Lifetime Member

Hi,

How small do you want? Remember that they have tiny mouths and require smaller food. Also, no larger fish :)

Some suggestions:

Pencilfish - most of the Nannostomus sp remain quite small. N. marginatus is the dwarf of the bunch and quite pretty.

Corydoras - C. hastatus is a mid water schooler and also quite small.

Rainbows - threadfins are quite small.

There are many to choose from, based on origin, species type, etc.

I have owned the examples, so I went with what I know.

Google will help with others and images...........

3. VaughnH

VaughnH Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

If you enjoy live bearers, Endlers Live Bearer is a very small version of a guppy. These aren't too hard to find for sale on various forums.

4. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator

Galaxy rasboras are nice, but damn things hide all the time in planted tanks.
    R maculata and there are a copule of other tiny fish.

Regards,
    Tom Barr

5. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator

Galaxy rasboras are nice, but damn things hide all the time in planted tanks.
    R maculata and there are a couple of other tiny fish.

Regards,
    Tom Barr

6. tedr108

tedr108 Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Julian: there are some smaller tetras, like Embers and others that I have no experience with. I don't know what you mean by "tiny," but in a 55G, some of the larger tetras like cardinals and neons would seem plenty small.

I hear you on the Galaxy Rasboras hiding all of the time, Tom. I have 18 of them in my 50G and only catch a glimpse of them at 3 times: 1) during feeding, 2) while I'm hiding on the the other side of the room, or 3) while I'm down on my knees below water level. They basically live IN a huge crypt wendtii most of the time.

I really like the little guys for some reason ... but it gets a little old almost never seeing them.

I just bought a 20G tank to put them all in. I'm going to plant my 20G in a way that the Galaxies cannot completely disappear.