This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Unfortunately for Photobucket users, things have changed in a big way as of June 26th they are rolling out a $399 per year subscription fee for those who want to hotlink images from Photobucket’s servers to display elsewhere.
    This does not mean it only affects this site, It now means that billions of images across the Web now display an error message instead of the image in question. :(
    https://barrreport.com/threads/attention-photobucket-users.14377/
    Dismiss Notice

What tracemix for IE

Discussion in 'Advanced Strategies and Fertilization' started by pfgrobler, Nov 2, 2005.

1. pfgrobler

pfgrobler Junior Poster

Hi,

I'm going to start dosing using IE shortly and need to check. All the posts that I've seen mention xx ml of traces. What trace mix is assumed when saying xx ml ?

If someone else wants to do the math for me my trace mix is a liquide and contains :
    Fe - 21.3 g/L
    Cu - 3.0 g/L
    Mn - 2.7 g/L
    Zn - 2.3 g/L
    B - 1.0 g/L
    Mo - 0.3 g/L
    Mg - 0.3 g/L

If I'm to use 10ml traces how much of my trace mix should I use ?

Is there someone that whould consider shipping some Soilmaster select to me in South Africa ? :)

2. Greg Watson

Greg Watson Administrator
    Staff Member Administrator

Re: What tracemix for IE

Tom is usually talking about a commercial liquid trace solution like Tropica Master Grow or Flourish ...

Tom has a personal preference for Tropica Master Grow ...

There are some of us that tend to pursue a more do-it-yourself approach and use a dry trace mix to make up a liquid trace solution with comparable percentages to the traditional commerical liquid solutions ...

The big danger in most dry trace mixes is the copper ... copper is a basic component that we often find in a lot of "medicine" that we use in aquariums - which generically means that at a very high concentration, it is toxic and has all kinds of nasty side effects ...

The trace mix that you have is relatively high in copper relative to what we traditionally use in an aquarium ... however, there are times that we have no choice but to "give it a try" with whatever we have available to us ... so in your case, I would encourage you to "give it a try" ... just recognize that the potential risk ...

I have corresponded with several other individuals from South Africa who have successfully used trace mixes with higher than normal copper levels ...

Different fish and different plants have different tolerence levels to the higher levels of copper ... most shrimp for example can not handle the higher copper levels ... but if you understand those types of limitations, you can simply choose to not try to keep shrimp ... and if you find some plants and fish that you are just not successful with, try different ones ...

All of us have unique water conditions which allow us to grow some plants better than others ... for example, I just can not grow Crypt Retrosprialis in my natural tap water ...

So ... give your trace mix a try ...

Greg