What to do when away?

tedr108

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Nov 21, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
I'll be going away on a 2 week (13 day) business trip in April. I have a 50G high light with canister CO2 and using EI. While I am away, I can easily get someone to feed my fish, I could even have someone do the EI ferts, but I would not feel comfortable asking someone to do a water change -- both because it is asking a lot and because that is something that can easily have things go wrong (e.g. forgetting the Prime or having drastic temperature changes).

So, for the 2 week trip I was thinking to maybe just do a 50-60% water change the night before leaving (to remove ferts and get a last good water cleaning), clean my filters thoroughly, unplug the lights and CO2, and let the tank "hibernate" for 2 weeks.

Sound like an OK plan?

Anti-Pjerrot

Prolific Poster
Apr 5, 2006
I usually make a normal water change, dose extra ferts for like a whole week (if i were going away for 2 weeks. Then just leave it... I rather have extra ferts for 1 week, than none for 2 weeks.
When i forget to dose - this is when problems occour. Threadalgae, BBA ect. ect...

VaughnH

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2005
Sacramento, CA
Going 2 weeks without a water change is not a big problem. You could reduce the dosing amounts by 25% or so, then have someone do the feeding and dosing, running the lights and CO2 normally. Just be sure you have enough CO2 to last the 2 weeks. At worst you will build up a bit more concentration of fertilizers in the water, but not enough to worry about.

raun

Junior Poster
Nov 7, 2007
I use a 7 day pill reminder to put my ferts in. Any drug store should have them. I just put my ferts in the pill reminder and someone feeding the fish can eaisly add the right ferts on the right day of the week; no accidents that way.

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
If you can reduce the light, that works also, say to 8 hours or with less intensity.

Regards,
Tom Barr