This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. Dismiss Notice
  2. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

What to do when away?

Discussion in 'Are you new to aquatic plants? Start here' started by tedr108, Jan 18, 2008.

1. tedr108

tedr108 Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    3:12 AM
    I'll be going away on a 2 week (13 day) business trip in April. I have a 50G high light with canister CO2 and using EI. While I am away, I can easily get someone to feed my fish, I could even have someone do the EI ferts, but I would not feel comfortable asking someone to do a water change -- both because it is asking a lot and because that is something that can easily have things go wrong (e.g. forgetting the Prime or having drastic temperature changes).

So, for the 2 week trip I was thinking to maybe just do a 50-60% water change the night before leaving (to remove ferts and get a last good water cleaning), clean my filters thoroughly, unplug the lights and CO2, and let the tank "hibernate" for 2 weeks.

Sound like an OK plan?

2. Anti-Pjerrot

Anti-Pjerrot Prolific Poster

Local Time:
    I usually make a normal water change, dose extra ferts for like a whole week (if i were going away for 2 weeks. Then just leave it... I rather have extra ferts for 1 week, than none for 2 weeks.
    When i forget to dose - this is when problems occour. Threadalgae, BBA ect. ect...

3. VaughnH

VaughnH Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Going 2 weeks without a water change is not a big problem. You could reduce the dosing amounts by 25% or so, then have someone do the feeding and dosing, running the lights and CO2 normally. Just be sure you have enough CO2 to last the 2 weeks. At worst you will build up a bit more concentration of fertilizers in the water, but not enough to worry about.

4. tedr108

Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Hoppy, that would certainly be the easiest way to go -- I like it. Thanks.

5. raun

raun Junior Poster

Local Time:
    I use a 7 day pill reminder to put my ferts in. Any drug store should have them. I just put my ferts in the pill reminder and someone feeding the fish can eaisly add the right ferts on the right day of the week; no accidents that way.

6. tedr108

Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Excellent suggestion, Raun, I will do that.

7. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator

Local Time:
    If you can reduce the light, that works also, say to 8 hours or with less intensity.

Regards,
    Tom Barr