This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Unfortunately for Photobucket users, things have changed in a big way as of June 26th they are rolling out a $399 per year subscription fee for those who want to hotlink images from Photobucket’s servers to display elsewhere.
    This does not mean it only affects this site, It now means that billions of images across the Web now display an error message instead of the image in question. :(
    https://barrreport.com/threads/attention-photobucket-users.14377/
    Dismiss Notice

What the heck is this algae?

Discussion in 'Advanced Strategies and Fertilization' started by jerime, Jan 16, 2006.

1. jerime

jerime Expired Subscriber

2. pigwiggle

pigwiggle Junior Poster

Re: What the heck is this algae?

Are you using yeast generated CO2? I saw something similar in an aquarium when I experimented with bubbling air through the yeast reactor. Some of the yeast (presumably) made it’s way into the aquarium and grew into a pale blond filamentous slime. My scaleless fish became very agitated, flashing on the rocks and wood. Bad stuff.

3. Simpte

Simpte Prolific Poster

Looks like really bad thread algae covered in diatoms. Is the tank newly setup?

4. srozell

srozell Guru Class Expert

It must be rare, I've never seen it! Ship me a sample so I can play with it!

5. Simpte

Simpte Prolific Poster

I had it when I first setup my tank. Went away when I manually removed what I could everyday, balanced nutrients, and the tank setteled in. (2 weeks)

6. jerime

jerime Expired Subscriber

Aquarium 370 L, 3 MH of 150 w each, 2 mths old.
    This is no thread as it dossolves when touched.
    CO2 preasurized.
    Never seen it myself.

srozell, thanks for the offer. will it stand the mail ?

7. riverrat

riverrat Prolific Poster

I had this also when my tank was new (less than 2 months). It was brownish and almost like a tumbleweed appearence,easily removed by twirling a toothbrush or filter brush . I manually removed daily, upped my co2 and it disappeared within 10 days never to be seen again.

riverrat