This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

What ppm am I aiming for with each EI dose?

Discussion in 'Aquatic Plant Fertilization' started by Whitebeam, Aug 20, 2010.

1. Whitebeam

Whitebeam Junior Poster

Local Time:
    12:14 PM
    I'm trying to understand my tank and the dosing I'm giving it. I know that exact levels aren't critical and that is the basic aim of EI dosing - maintaining levels at or comfortably above what the plants need. Trouble is I'm a scientist (physicist to be precise) and I just love to test and tweak so that I can observe what's going on. I have one fundamental uncertainty:

I see 'recommended' levels of each nutrient as the bands in which 'plants do best' (figures such as 10-20ppm for NO3, 0.5-2.0ppm for PO4 and so on). Am I aiming to dose to these levels as a total for the week, or am I aiming to maintain these sorts of levels for the 'majority' of the time?

Lots of quotes in the above question to indicate that I realise that these are ill defined words or phrases BTW.

Peter

PS: My plants are starting to look better already, thanks to your help and EI style dosing with dry ferts. My thanks to you all for your help so far.

#1 Whitebeam, Aug 20, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 20, 2010
  2. Biollante

Biollante Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Crazy-Make-Me's

Hi Peter,

These are living things that do not easily give themselves to absolute values. There are a ridiculous number of variables involved.

Just remember lighting drives system, less light less everything else. We simply wish to provide amounts of things that are non-limiting. Dry fertz are wonderful for that purpose and accuracy to two significant digits are more than enough. :cool:

Biollante

3. Whitebeam

Whitebeam Junior Poster

Local Time:
    Just as well I only quoted figures to one significant digit then ;-)

I'll just carry on dosing towards maintaining those 'recommended' figures and taking my own observations of tank uptake to tune the quantities added.

Peter