This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

what plants do best in non co2 method?

Discussion in 'Non-CO2 Methods' started by beachroadbum, Dec 13, 2008.

1. beachroadbum

beachroadbum Junior Poster

Local Time:
    3:10 PM
    Hi all,

I first posted this in the newbie forum but I see that this part of the forum gets alot more hits.

First let me say that this site is fantastic! I kept a planted 29gallon several years ago...with low light and hagen diy co2...flourite substrate and greg watson ferts. The tank was a great sucess. I ended up moving and started keeping reef tanks...but the planted tank bug has bit me again. After reading Tom's great article on non co2 low light tanks I plan on using that method. I will be using a 46 gallon bowfront which is 36x15 and narrows to 12inches at each side.
    I know it's very important to stock the tank fully with plants right from the start. If anyone could suggest what type of plants do best to start in this system that would be great. Also how many bunches of each and pots etc...
    I need to order the plants online so I don't want to order too many or too few. I will have two pieces of driftwood about 12 inches long to fill up some space. Hopefully this will give you guys an idea of how many plants I need to start. Thanks!

best,
    jared

2. Skabooya

Skabooya Prolific Poster

Local Time:
    Any of the low light plants would work well i think. Just make sure your lighting for low light is 2wpg or less.
    Some plants are: hygro species, java ferns, crypts, mosses, tiger lotus, dwarf sag, rotalia indica and rondifolia, anubias nana and petit, Vals, some have success with bacopa and lewdegia (sp?) and some of the higher light plants.
    Checkout aquariumplants.com and look at their low light selection to give you an idea.

3. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator

Local Time:
    I tend to add as much as will fit, read the part about 10-25% floating also, that will help mop up things if the nutrients get higher than you'd like, they have plenty of light and CO2 since they float.

Deeper sediment is also a good idea.
    So error on more plants rather than less.
    You will want more rather than fewer to save a few$, it's never worth it.
    You can sell off any extras etc.

Regards,
    Tom Barr

4. aprofromindia

Local Time:
    9:10 AM
    Hi can any1 give examples of floating plants as recommended by Tom please?

5. Gerryd

Gerryd Plant Guru Team
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Duckweed, riccia, water sprite, water wisteria, hornwort, many stems can float and be used.

6. dan_lup

dan_lup Prolific Poster

Local Time:
    Cabomba Caroliniana, Sagittaria Subulata, Cryptocoryne Pontederiifolia, Christmass Moss. But you need light (0.4W/liter) and daily fertilisation

7. jerrybforl

jerrybforl Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Hygro verticulata, japan, or brazilian pennywort are great floating plants.