What Material Is Best To Build Up Rocks In One Corner Of An Aquarium?

rs18alpha

Subscriber
Feb 3, 2017
Pennsylvania
I want to have rocks in the corner of my tank that almost reach the top of the water. I don't want to use one big rock. I've heard people use Styrofoam or Drainage cells. Or other plastic materials.
If I used Styrofoam I could create multiple tiers. To keep the styrofoam from floating I think it would be ok to use aquarium safe silicone?

Any suggestions for me?
Thanks every one..

Reactions: a1matt

tiger15

Aug 12, 2017
NJ
Why not use real rock. Lace rock is very light and interlock tightly. Pile big ones on the bottom and smaller ones on top. Lava rock is also very light, specially those with holes carved out. Both rock are popular with cichlid keepers who pile them up high to make caves.

For fake rock, I’ve seen realistic Texas Holly rock sold in Petsmark. Any diy rock won’t be as realistic or light weight enough for safe use in aquarium.

rs18alpha

Subscriber
Feb 3, 2017
Pennsylvania
Thanks tiger15.
Anyone out there ever use Styrofoam? I have a couple other tanks, so I'd really like to experiment with different stuff.

a1matt

Prolific Poster
Jan 30, 2006
I've not used it, the floating is too much of an issue for me. I believe some use it to make backgrounds from. An internet search for diy aquarium background might put you on the right track.

Jilrae

Jul 4, 2018
Cudahy, WI
My concern would be that if you're using heavy rocks on top, the styrofoam might break apart, or at least start to cave in the middle over time, dents. I've seen people using the plastic drainage cells before in aquascaping videos, cut to various sizes to make steps, if it's all going to be covered that should work well I'd think.

tiger15

Aug 12, 2017
NJ
I see no reason to use artificial objects to mound hill when you can use real rock. Styrofoam displaces valuable water volume and plastic objects may leach harmful chemicals. I mound lace rock to make green hill by attaching epiphytes. Lace rock is light weight, interlock tightly, and displace relatively small water volume and the empty spaces between rock provide habitat for cave dwellers. Here are pics of my set up with side views showing the rock piles.

BDCB1737-F2BF-4A53-B152-A242F2BD9729.jpeg

3FA5517B-3CD0-4F95-B0DB-E7426C38A92B.jpeg