This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

What makes HC grow freakly big leafs and what type of algae?

Discussion in 'General Plant Topics' started by Vinno, May 2, 2010.

1. Vinno

Vinno Junior Poster

Local Time:
    5:21 AM
    I got like 9 of these big HC leafs spread in a patch of like 24inchx6inch. They first showed up about 3 weeks ago.

Also in the 1st picture, to the top right of the hc, its like grey, its covered with bit of dirt/clay since i disturbed the background plants few days ago. If i removed it by hand, its like dark green in color. Can anyone tell if its thread / hair / staghorn? I know its not good quality but only phone camera around.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thanks

2. Tug

Tug Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Hi Vinno,
    I can't explain freaky big leafs. I think Biollante was just born that way.

Your algae sounds like BGA (Cyanobacteria). How does it smell, strong? Some might even ask you as they walk close to the tank, what's that smell? Possible causes are light, low nitrates (less then 10ppm), high organics (dirty filters, overfeeding and/or dead, dying plants in the area, NH4) and poor water circulation. Here is a nice read on algae and surface scum. http://www.aquariumalgae.blogspot.com/. Take with a grain of salt. The post was written in 08' before T5HO lighting and when we knew less about carbonate hardness.

Irreparably changed,

#2 Tug, May 2, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: May 2, 2010
  3. TheKillHaa

TheKillHaa Prolific Poster

Local Time:
    there is a chance to have a intruder on your HC? lets say, hemianthus micrantemoides? thats will explain big leaves.. i guess.

4. Crispino Ramos

Crispino Ramos Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    the brownish coat on the leaves looks like diatomes and the 'intruder' may also be Bacopa sp 'Japan' if it ain't Glossostigma elatinoides.

5. Philosophos

Philosophos Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Looks like some kind of Elatine (triandra being the most common) it's a nice ground cover.

6. Gerryd

Gerryd Plant Guru Team
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Hi,

IMO it does not look like HM. HM also has small leaves, but it grows MUCH taller. I have gotten it to the surface in my 24" tall 180...

Many plant hitchhikings are done......

That is how many foreign plants and critters get here via hitching a ride....

Think zebra mussels in ship holds, snakes and spiders in banana bunches, etc...

I got HM when I bought HC. I had wanted it but did not know I had it, so was a NICE surprise....

7. Vinno

Vinno Junior Poster

Local Time:
    I will cut it off and try to get the root out too that way i can tell if it is a freaky hc if the roots connected to the hc next time i touch the tank.