This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.
    Dismiss Notice

What Kind Of Algae Is This?

Discussion in 'Articles' started by Richard Kao, Mar 4, 2018.

1. Richard Kao

Richard Kao New Member

Feb 18, 2018
    11:16 PM
    Hello there,

I have a Fluval Edge 6 gallon which I cycled, and planted for 3 weeks before I added two Amano shrimp. I have recently upgraded the light from a miracle-grow light to a AI Prime Freshwater. I dose iron and phosphate every other day and approx 1 mL. Excel 5-6 drops per day.

If you know what these are and how to better control them, please let me know!

2. Allwissend

Allwissend Article Editor
    Staff Member Lifetime Member Article Editor

Jun 20, 2016
    6:16 AM
    Judging by the branching pattern visible in the photo I would say you have some cladophora on your hands. Turn off filter, put the hose near it and suck it out with the water. If it does not come out, force it with pincers. Then take some excel or H2O2 in a syringe and spot dose that area. The plants will also die in that small area, sorry just nuclear war. And hope, just hope it is just in that area.
    I had to throw away a large culture of Phoenix moss that was infested with this stuff and did not want to sell with algae in it, such is life.

Cladophora does great in pretty much the same conditions as plants. It is very well protected, no algae eaters really target it and can regrow from small fragments, for me even from wood where it was previously. The best strategy when it is only a little is physical removal. And hope it was only there.