This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

What Kind Of Algae Is This ?

Discussion in 'Algae Control' started by yusuf saraç, Feb 11, 2018.

1. yusuf saraç

yusuf saraç New Member

Local Time:
    5:55 AM
    Can you guys tell me what kind of algae is that on the picture. As soon as my anubias make new leaf, the are being covered this blackish / reddish algae. And my cobambas seems to start having this problem as well.

20180211_180705.jpg

2. Tim Harrison

Tim Harrison Lifetime Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    3:55 AM
  3. Allwissend

Allwissend Article Editor
    Staff Member Lifetime Member Article Editor

Local Time:
    4:55 AM
    It is a type of red algae, related to BBA but unlike BBA it has a low compact growth. It is hard to remove by scraping. It seems to also be mixed with GSA (green spot algae). Spot dosing excel or easy carbo on the leafs of the anubias will remove it. Cleaning up the tank (water changes, filtration, vacuuming ) will reduce new growth. It might also be receiving too much light for its metabolism.

yusuf saraç likes this.
  4. yusuf saraç

yusuf saraç New Member

Local Time:
    5:55 AM
    Here s a closer look. it is comng more and more every day.

20180212_234957.jpg

5. Kyalgae

Kyalgae Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    10:55 PM
    I had a similar problem a while back. I had very dirty substrate, and my CO2 wasn’t stable throughout the day. You might want to give your gravel a deep vacuum and see what comes out. Judging by the first picture the substrate near the glass looks dirty, probably throughout the tank. Do the vacuuming in sections, uproot the plants, vacuum 20% of the substrate, then do a large water change. Maybe spread it out over a couple of weeks. Drop your light level a bit while you fix the buildup of organic waste in the substrate.

Tim Harrison and yusuf saraç like this.
  6. Tim Harrison

Tim Harrison Lifetime Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    3:55 AM
    Still not close enough to really see what it is but from what I can make out it looks like BBA.
    What are your tank parameters, tank size/capacity, lighting - photoperiod duration and intensity, filter turn over, circulation, CO2, fertz and water change regime, etc?
    Can you post a full tank shot as well, it might also help solve any problems.

Mozart Henriques likes this.
Tags: