This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

What Is Wrong With My Plants??

Discussion in 'General Plant Topics' started by Ryan Patterson, Jan 29, 2019.

1. Ryan Patterson

Ryan Patterson New Member

Local Time:
    3:39 PM
    Recently I have been having problems with my plants which up until a few weeks ago were growing great. I am not sure what is happening but I have been noticing a lot of gsa and hair algae on the plant leaves and hardscape as well as hole in the leaves and very dark new growth. Aquarium is a 180l Juwel Rio which has been set up for around 5 months. I am dosing aqua rebell ei and have my CO2 around 30ppm at least according to my drop checker which is always lime green. I am running two external filters, an eheim exprience 150 and 350. Does anyone know what this could be? Here a picture of my alternanthera reineckii rosefolie.

20190129_163422.jpg

20190129_163403.jpg

20190129_163359.jpg

#1 Ryan Patterson, Jan 29, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2019
  2. Ryan Patterson

Local Time:
    This has been happening to my ludwigia as well. The leaves start dying from the stem side and then fall off. Here is a before and after picture

20190129_202726.jpg

20190104175915.jpg

3. fablau

fablau rotalabutterfly.com
    Staff Member Moderator

Local Time:
    6:39 AM
    It could be a lot of things:

1. Plant mass that has reached a point where you need to dose more or add more Co2.

2. Any other changes you may have done?

Do you have an overall picture of your tank? That'd help...

4. Seattle_Aquarist

Seattle_Aquarist Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    6:39 AM
    Hi @Ryan Patterson

Welcome to The Barr Report!

Can you provide any water parameter information, pH, dKH, dGH, and nitrates (ppm of NO3). Provide what you can.

-Roy

5. Ryan Patterson

Local Time:
    Hi and thanks for the welcome! Been reading alot on here lately as I am pretty new to planted aquariums (and aquariums in General). But have been having alot of fun so far! I only have test strips for giving me a general idea of where I am at with Nitrates, pH, dKH etc. But here is what those say.

NO3: between 25-50 mg/l
    NO2: 0 mg/l
    GH: >7°d but less than 14°d
    KH: 6°d
    PH: Before CO2 turns on in the morning 7,4 and Drops to about 6,8 in the afternoon with CO2

Substrate is JBL PfoFlora Aquabasis Plus
    Lighting: 2x 45W T5s

The only thing I changed that i can recall around the time the plants started having issues is that I lowered my EI dosing slightly as I was having really high Nitrate readings on the strips (over 100 mg/l). And after a water change I forgot to turn the heater on over night and the tank cooled down from the usual 75°F to around 68°F. A few days after that I noticed a lot of Vallisneria floating on the top as if it broke off at the base.

Here is a picture of the whole Aquarium (one before and one from yesterday). Not a ton of plant mass in there at the moment as I trimmed out everything that was beyond repair. Hoping it will start to fill out again once I can figure out what is going on...

20190113174301.jpg

20190126162739.jpg