What is this floaty spider web like algae or something?

J

Jacky Ao

Hi I recently got this weird spider web like algae or something few days ago and I don't understand why and what it is? It only grows when I turn off the light and come back it appears?? It's very long and connects from a plant to another from afar. Snail poop and stuff sticks onto it too? I recently rescaped my tank after moving plants to new positions and trimming them last night. Today I left the light on for only 3 hours before I went to work and when I came back this stuff popped out of no where. I had this spider web thing before too when I was not using co2, so maybe that contributed to it? Somethings in my tank causing this string like thing to appear because obviously if i had a completely new tank i wouldn't get this web like thing. Is a snail causing this or something.. Or ammonia coming out of new plants put in tank that aren't healthy?? Please help! Do i have an actual spider in my tank? LOL looks like it..

[More Information On Tank]

1) Recently got pressurized paintball CO2 system few days ago.

2) 5.5 gallon with 15 shrimps and lighting is finnex stingray 16 inch(should be around 30-35 par at substrate).

3) I don't think co2 is limited because I'm pretty sure I got at LEAST 10ppm or so when I started the light on because I ran co2 1 hr before turning lights on.

4) Light was only 3 hours too what the heck? How does that cause algae? Maybe it isn't algae?

5) Dosed yesterday according to EI method so...

Last edited:

Apprentice

Lifetime Members
Lifetime Member
Feb 4, 2015
Gardiner, N.Y.
Looks like some type of fungus. I've had fungus grow on mopani wood when first introduced to the tank. Goes away on it's own. Doesn't harm any thing. No aquatic big spray needed. Lol.

J

Jacky Ao

Well I don't know what it is but I got rid of it when i fixed my pre-filter sponge that was blocking 80% of the flow to the tank haha. Maybe it was an algae or some sort that grew in stagnant waters?

Apprentice

Lifetime Members
Lifetime Member
Feb 4, 2015
Gardiner, N.Y.
Pre-filters are great. But definitely need a good squeeze once a week. I still believe it was likely just a piece of fungus, probably hitch hiked in on one of your new plants. Also the fact that it instantly cleared up in a day. Algae usually doesn't go away that quickly. The stuff does break apart easily into strands.

Here is a link to a list of algae with photos for future reference. http://www.theplantedtank.co.uk/algae.htm

Glad you got it sorted no matter what it was.

Regards, Rob