This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

What is the point of using an inverted page table?

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by Shanerwood, Feb 5, 2011.

1. Shanerwood

Shanerwood Junior Poster

Local Time:
    9:24 PM
    I am looking at different ways in which a page table could be organized, one of which ways is using an inverted page table. From what I can understand ... there is a row for every frame in the disk, so we essentially have a page table which looks exactly like the structure of the actual disk, which defeats the purpose of having a page table to begin with

2. Gerryd

Gerryd Plant Guru Team
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Hi,

I am not sure how page tables relate to the planted tank hobby....

I think you are on the wrong forum...

3. Biollante

Biollante Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Provided of Course The KH, GH pH Balance is Maintained

Hi,

Many of my plants have found that inverted page tables can be reasonably efficient.:gw
    • Fewer accesses are needed if you can have a successful search in only a couple of probes (on average):)
    • when doing a lookup in a page table that is more than a couple of levels deep.;)
    As address spaces get bigger, page tables get more unwieldy. A 64-bit address might imply something like 5 levels of table (10 bit index for all but last):eek: many plants and a few critters have a hard time keeping track. :(

As virtual address spaces grow so much bigger than physical addresses, it becomes possible that space and time can be saved by inverting the page table -- mapping physical to virtual, instead of the other way around.

I have found that Vals and Sags benefit most and E. tenellus is just a total pig about it either way.:cool:

Biollante

4. Gbark

Gbark Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    Ipt

Around here IPT stands for "irresistible Planted Tank" :D