what is the best metod to disolve CO2?

B

Brian20

what is the best metod to disolve CO2? only a list and names.

I think the best are CO2 reactor but I never use it.

I use a ceramic difusor and its works very well for me that is why I dont experiment with other tipes of difusion.

Biollante

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2009
Surprise, AZ
Steady Supply of DIY CO2

Hi Brian,

Since, I believe you are using DIY CO2; one of the main issues is maintaining a steady supply.

A trick; is to use two generators, I use two-liter soda bottles run into a single container, I use 500 ml Erlenmeyer flasks, with rubber stopper, check valves off each generator.

I use about 300 ml of deionized (DI) water in the bottom of the flasks with the two inputs, three sixteenth inch rigid air tubing, extending to just above the bottom of the flask. The output extends slightly below the stopper. For the flexible tubing, in keeping with my “on the cheap” philosophy I use black quarter inch drip irrigation hose. I have been using this tubing and various drip irrigation parts in my aquaria and ponds for almost ten years.

I have found this arrangement works quite well up to 70 gallons or so, I currently use this system on a heavily planted 55-gallon tank that I use for experimental purposes. Primarily, I suppose, because I was told it could not be done, I have been operating this tank for over five years. By simply alternating replacing one bio generator at each water change, the drop checkers (I keep 3-6 in this tank to monitor CO2 disbursal) indicate 30ppm, I am now able to measure with greater (calibrated, even) accuracy and it seems to be quite stable at 33-35ppm CO2.

For diffusion, I have found a simple counter-flow device, with strong circulation to be adequate. I use an old gravel vacuum, like six by one-and-a-half inch cylinder.

The output from the flask, to just above the rim of gravel vacuum, I use a small fitting for drip irrigation, and then a water pump placed at the opposite end of the tank, the same side as the intake for the canister filter, with the return to the top of the gravel vacuum.

Because, I am, well me,:eek: I developed pressure release valve at the top of the gravel vacuum to adjust the amount of CO2 dissolved into the water.

Those of you with your beady light-adapted eyes, a brain and opposable thumbs, would do well just to drill a few holes at various levels down the cylinder and plug whichever of the upper ones as you wish to contain more CO2.

Instead of ruining gravel vacuums and such, I recommend those View-Tainers, I read about around here. I can’t believe I didn’t think of abusing something like that.:rolleyes:

Biollante

nipat

Guru Class Expert
May 23, 2009
I'm using DIY yeast CO2 too;).

I use 2+1 of two liter soda bottles.

I call it 2+1 because I renew 1 bottle every week
and keep the old bottle with old mix in it,
not connecting it until the 5th day.

In my case, the 2 bottles will provide quite
steady bubble for 4 days and usually will drop
too low by day five. Then I just add that old
3rd bottle (it still have a little power) to the line
to bring the bubble rate up until day seven.
(I stop CO2 at dark hours by disconnecting the line)

I like it but now I'm eyeing the pressurized system
for the benefit of automatic turning on/off while
I'm not around.

B

Brian20

I saw the thread but still people have differences of choosing what are the best method

Gerryd

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2007
South Florida
Brian,

Based on the tank setup and config and the method used, one may be 'better' than another. It is really up to the user to experiment with different setups that give them what they want.

Discs and reactors work well, needle wheel and venturi, many methods will work for a certain setup.

I don't think there is a 'best' method or we all would be using it.......

B

Brian20

Thats right!!

I more concerned about cheap methods. I use a ceramic Discs here cost $25 bucks. Not everybody wil spend $25 bucks and a lot of people that I know not buy in internet. So a lot of people prefer using a power head, power filter (the air tubing in the intake of the filter), the wood diffusor, normal diffusor, the intake of external filter and the thing thatthe bubbles go side to side. The experiment is what of that simple methods are the best. I compare the power head and the ceramic difussor and the ceramic diffusor is alot more efficient because the power head dont make little bubbles like the ceramic diffusor.

Gbark

Guru Class Expert
Jun 15, 2009
I use the ceramic disc type too. :D

I have had a post on here about my co2 distribution, so i added a small pump to fire those small bubbles around the tank. Seems to be working.

However i do like the look of Tom's Venturi DIY design.

Maybe try modifing it by putting a ceramic disc type on the co2 input tube ;)

B

Brian20

Gbark I make the same as you, the ceramic diffusor in a back corner close to the substrate, the bubbles go up and then the water flow move the bubbles around the tank. I was concerned about the methods that my friends in hobbie do. But I found a site with cheap ceramic diffusor so I bough 6 one for me and other for sell. I know that my friends will like it :D

Brian

Gbark

Guru Class Expert
Jun 15, 2009
I've decided to make the venturi reactor that Tom has designed. i have a spare powerhead, think it is a hagen. (not that it matters:) )

Can't get hold of viewtainers though, so i'm going to use a syphon gravel cleaner tube instead.

This setup will be in addition to my glass diffusers.

I will let you know how i get on.

Gbark

Guru Class Expert
Jun 15, 2009
Just to update,

I made the venturi, with an old hagen 402 powerhead and a gravel syphon tube. I used it first without my glass diffusers.

It in my opinion is not as good, it is quite large and uses twice as much co2. I have decided not to use it.

I have left the powerhead in though, and placed it above one of my diffusers, this helps spread the tiny bubbles around the tank:D