what is the best iron to use for aquatic plant ?

skija

Lifetime Members
Lifetime Member
Nov 16, 2015
Romania
scottward said:
Depends on your kh, gluconate for low kh, EDTA I think for less than 4 degrees, DTPA for kh above that.

Hi can you elaborate more this with examples ? I'm very interested in this , i recently switched from Chelated Traces to Easy Life Profito Ferro and i see improvements and i wonder why , my Kh is 5

Thanks

rajkm

Article Editor
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Article Editor
Sep 16, 2015
Hillsboro, OR
skija said:
Hi can you elaborate more this with examples ? I'm very interested in this , i recently switched from Chelated Traces to Easy Life Profito Ferro and i see improvements and i wonder why , my Kh is 5

Thanks

Chelates are only efficient within specific PH ranges.

http://www.smart-fertilizer.com/articles/iron

The below like also shows the strength of EDTA for non Fe sources.

https://www.akzonobel.com/micronutrients/products/product_stability/

Plants I read make like Ferrous Iron over Ferric, but can consume both. Chelates keep Iron in Ferric form but plants have compounds to break the chelates to make metals available.

You will need to read/research the ingredients within Easy Life to know their source.

Seachem advertises that their Iron and Excel converts Ferric to Ferrous state.

Lots of variables but I essentially try to keep my PH within the acceptable range of the chelates I use. My PH at night never climbs 6.9 and I use DTPA, EDTA and gluconate.

Adam Edmond

Junior Poster
Oct 25, 2016
United States
I would advise you to use dry macros, but liquid Sea chem micros, always add extra Flourish Iron in addition to the Flourish. Flourish uses ferrous iron, which has fewer atomic bonds, and easier for the plants to break it down and use. Many of the dry ferts use ch elated iron, which has an extra bond. You will notice good results with this.

rajkm

Article Editor
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Article Editor
Sep 16, 2015
Hillsboro, OR
Flourish and Flourish Iron use gluconate which is available to plants for short duration because it gets absorbed quite quickly, not sure how much of it precipitates out. That's why using a mix of chelated and gluconate is better for Fe availability over the duration.