This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

What is going on with my HC??? need serious help

Discussion in 'General Plant Topics' started by dandestroy, Jun 10, 2009.

1. dandestroy

dandestroy Junior Poster

Local Time:
    11:39 AM
    Hello everyone,

I have recently started a nano tank project, but my plant started dying in the process... since I was unable to determine what went wrong I will list more detail then necessary in case someone has seen something similar.

I got TruVu to make a nano tank for me 9" cube.

I filled it up with some ADA Aqua soil Power sand at the bottom covered by Amazonia powder. Fill it up with some water for 1 day waiting for my plants to arrive, then removed the water and sponged all the water I could with paper towel and got into planting.

I went with some Hemianthus callitrichoides and was going to go with a dry start approach to grow them. The plant looked good on arrival

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

TO help the planting, I went with an approach that showed to keep some of the foam. Using a pen, I would dig a small whole and put the foam plug in it and tap a litle the soil around it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. dandestroy

dandestroy Junior Poster

Local Time:
    [​IMG]

I bought a lot of HC for the size I needed to cover, but my goal was to have this thing fill up as fast as possible.

[​IMG]

I can say I was happy with the result, so I sprayed some water on top and added an Olitte FC lamp with a bulb for plant growth. The soil was humid but clearly not saturated.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. dandestroy

dandestroy Junior Poster

Local Time:
    My light would be on for about 12hr a day from 9AM to 9PM (so actually a bit more since the tank gets windows light from 6h30 to 9... window is about 10 feet away). Also there is a lid that cover the tank almost perfectly (there is maybe a 1/4" opening in one corner). Anyway, everything was going well, the side of the tank was fogging nicely, once a while I would spray the HC a little... condensation got to the point where huge droplets would form, I did wipe it out once follow by some spray.

I then made myself a high power LED lamp, with 6 CREE XR-E cool white and 2 CREE XR-E-blue (mounted on rheostat so blue was not fully on).

[​IMG]

Everything was going well for 3 weeks, the HC filling slowly... one sunny day I moved the tank to the windows to test how they would do in the sun... moved back to the light since without the light condensation would form on top blocking the light (the FC light create just enough heat to dry that cover in the morning). So the whole time I was careful to make sure that the HC would not dry-up, by spraying them every 3 days or so.

I quickly realize that something was happening on some of the leaves... some of them where slowly turning dark green, almost blue. For a sec I tough that it was due to all the spiders that seem to be having a party in my tank (I did not care much for these spiders, because they were so small, but after 3 weeks you could see webs everywhere on every plants). So I tough that the spider webs were maybe causing this issue... like mold or algae taking over for web decomposition.

So I decided to flood the tank for a few days in hope of killing the tiny spiders

[​IMG]

But then the melting reaction kept going... I'm saying melting because it seems like it would start from one point and spread from there... I could see most of the leaves having some little spots, but I was not convinced that this was algae or just dirt. Chain reaction got worst; you can actually see some of the bluish dark green leave at the left of the hole. The hole is a bit of me trying to remove these dark melted leaves with a tweezer.

[​IMG]

So I remove the water and decided to put the tank in the dark for 4 days... did not help... new melting spots where appearing at other area in the tank on the HC. I decided to add more water, so that the soil would be saturated, but that did not help. Then I decided that the issue was probably cause by the stupid foam that I planted the HC with.

So I took all the plants out (the plant did grew but on the foam, not so much on the soil, the runner where not anchor to the soil very much yet). So I removed all the foam with a tweezer which took forever (also remove the dead leaves), replanted the whole thing without the foam this time, re-added some water... not saturated but not to dry... like water level halfway in the substrate. Did not use the blue light anymore in case it was causing this... had the FC and LED on, in case LED where not offering the proper spectrum.

4. dandestroy

dandestroy Junior Poster

Local Time:
    Anyways 1 week later, almost everything was dead and melted.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So I want to plant this again, probably ditch the soil and start with new soil and new plants, and this time go directly without foam... I still don't know about how much water I should put in there (just spray, or water level barely at surface, or halfway in substrate)...

and I’m very curious to know what the hell happen? Any advice are welcome... specially if you seen HC do this.

thanks

5. Philosophos

Philosophos Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    If you're going to transition from emerged to immersed with HC, you're going to need to plow a ton of CO2 in. Melt can still happen. My HC melts going from immersed to emerged sometimes, but bounces back.

HC has high CO2 demands; I gauge my CO2 by my drop checker and my HC.

Stone wool plugs are also evil IMO. Good for transport and standard measurement, but that's it. I've just finished clearing out a horrific amount of detritus/mulm because the HC anchored to its self and the plugs around it rather than to the substrate. Then again, I may have done something wrong.

-Philosophos

6. dandestroy

dandestroy Junior Poster

Local Time:
    I forgot to mention, the melting actually started before immersion. I tough the melting was caused by something else, and that immersing would maybe solve this issue.

My best guess so far is also the "evil" foam plug too.

7. VaughnH

VaughnH Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
  8. dandestroy

dandestroy Junior Poster

Local Time:
    If you read carefully you will see that this is exactly what I did, and I believe that this is one of the reason why my plant died.

9. VaughnH

VaughnH Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    If I remember correctly Tropica's video show the mineral wool being all removed, and the remaining roots heavily cut back, then the "sod" of HC being cut into little plugs just as you did. If you removed the mineral wool, you did just as they recommended.

HC, being a vigorous stem plant, should start if you just scatter tiny cuttings of it, each with a couple of leafs, on top of the wet substrate. I know glosso will start that way, because I tried some, but with HC I am relying on forum reports by others who did it that way.

10. Philosophos

Philosophos Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    ya, HC is absurdly easy to grow emerged. I've got some doing well in potting soil in a germination tray right now. My concern is the transition to immersed more than anything.

-Philosophos

11. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator

Local Time:
    The DSM does not save folks from CO2 and good care once the aquarium is filled.

No method can do that.
    Excel seems somewhat detrimental also, likely due to the tank just starting up.
    CO2 and lots of it, many water changes for the first few days/weeks and then it should settle in.

Regards,
    Tom Barr

12. mythin

mythin Junior Poster

Local Time:
    My emerged HC just started doing this too, I looked really carefully and I saw that it was just decaying away, and that what I think is causing it is Actinomycetes. Actinomycetes are a type of bacteria that break down decaying matter, so I dont know if those are the cause of the decaying, or just helping the decay along the way, but my theory now is that my humidity was too high, and some how that caused the HC to start dying off, and the Actinomycetes were just helping it decay... (it looks like little spiderwebs)

13. BenitoR

BenitoR Junior Poster

Local Time:
    Sorry to dig up this really old post but I also am having major problems with my dry start HC as well. I noticed 2 days ago that there was some very fine white webs on my plants. I tried to dry the tank out thinking it would help, I left the lid open and minimally sprayed the plants. Today the webs have spread to most of the plants and are quickly killing them. I reduced photo period to 12 hours in an attempt to help. Any ideas on how to treat this?

14. BenitoR

BenitoR Junior Poster

Local Time:
    My issue with HC cuba right now looks like this image. The webs are killing everything, ideas?

View attachment 15120

killing my plants.jpg

15. ltb420

ltb420 Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Getting the humidity right during the dry start process is key. I personally don't even bother with the dry start for HC if the conditions are right it grows really quick. At this point flooding the tank may be your best bet. Get plenty of CO2 in there and hopefully it will recover.