What I did over my summer vacation

Gerryd

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2007
South Florida
Pic

View attachment 1868

I added a large manzy branch to break up the repeat offenders :) Can you spot it? Makes a big difference I think. thanks for the suggestion...

I would remove the Blyxa in the middle when the stauro and downoi take over...

I would eventually have two large Bolbitus growths one on each side growing towards the middle. The back lower portions of the tank would remain unplanted as the ferns will cover like a forest canopy and very little light would get thru.

But open space still for swimming. This scape leaves room all around the tank for uninterrupted flow..Fish can swim more 'laps' as the wood/plant islands are more mid-tank..

Of course with no fish, I can't say WHAT they would do, but I can hope..

I was thinking festivums as the tank would suit them very well I think. Cards are naturally on the menu, so maybe a larger dither fish lol

Maybe one of the larger rasboras..

This will all change of course, but will be fine while I see how things progress growth wise, etc.

Later!

Gerryd

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2007
South Florida
Hi all,

Well my new manzy should be on the way soon.....

I am thinking now using narrow Java, bolbitus, and maybe a small stauro patch as contrast. Leave more open substrate and show the wood. Maybe anubias petite or glosso as the carpet and keep it all darker shades.

The wood would be planted really only at the bases but the wood is really the focus...I need to wean myself of plant collectoritis :) I don't have as many as I used to, but I don't see me using the 6-8 species I have now...no room really with all that wood....

I keep thinking some nice pair or two or mid size cichlids 4-7". Some really fast and larger schoolers as dithers as I have good current. Again I would like the cichlids to be comfortable with the flow...

I would love to have an ongoing community where both the cichlids and schoolers have some fry survive to adulthood to perpetuate in the tank.

Suggestions are appreciated.

I keep going back to firemouths....I think they would look great with that wood.

dbazuin

Guru Class Expert
Dec 30, 2009
New manzy?
I love the ones you have on the last picture,
Never see that kind of wood here.

Gerryd

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2007
South Florida
Yes, new manzy. I also like my current setup. It gives me confidence that I can make something half decent looking...

All this wood will keep me scaping for years :) I do change my scape alot so will be good for me..

Go to Tom's manzy 4 thread. I took pieces in picture #4 and Tom is sending something really nice as well.

I couldn't resist...

dbazuin

Guru Class Expert
Dec 30, 2009
I think I wait for the pictures of your new scape.
It is not only the wood but how you place it that makes the wow factor :)

Gerryd

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2007
South Florida
Hi all,

So, I rescaped the plants a bit... Cut down on species and swapped places a bit.

The blyxa in the back will grow fine until the bolbitus above begins to shade it..

Max PAR of 80-85 at surface and 25-45 at substrate using 8x30 watt t5 8" above the tank.

Using 4 bulbs looks real nice and reduces the PAR by just about half, no matter which fixture I leave on.

BTW, I found that 55 of my cardinals had survived so they got transferred in over the last 48 hours. They seem fine, but will now do 50% water changes every 1-2 days for the next 2-3 weeks..

Of course, they stay in the back of the tank right now, but I think it is more that they are a little spooked still from the swap....

I am not sure they will remain in the new scape but I couldn't leave them in the spare any longer. The tank needed some fish to cycle it properly. The cards should not create a huge bioload and I expect no nh4 issues.

However, this highlights the issue that I want fish that are bigger and a bit bolder naturally. The cards are a bit shy to me....

Growth on all plants is now noticeable within a week of planting...The downoi is sprouting all new inner leaves on all plants yay! Stauro is upright and looking good. Anubias petite has new growth as well as the bolbitus. Using c02 at 1-3 bps and N, P, K and TPN at 1.5 EI dosage for a 180.

2-3 months will look pretty good, but at least now it looks decent if someone comes by.. I really like the openness and the current makes the narrow java and all plants sway naturally. The bolbitus is placed more to get direct current than the final placement. This will help it to grow out some and increase mass more quickly.

I hope I don't meet anyone at the AGA convention that wants to see the tank....not like this....

Well here it is:

View attachment 1880View attachment 1879View attachment 1878

Last edited by a moderator: