What happens if you overdose on KH2PO4 ?

Jersey Scape

Junior Poster
Nov 21, 2005
18
0
1
39
Rutgers U. NEW JERSEY
I know that if you overdose on KNO3 you will have a whole load of algae growing but what happens if you overdose on mono potassium phosphate (KH2PO4)?

I think I have green water so I am trying to find the source of that...

Jersey
 

PeterGwee

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 23, 2005
126
0
16
Re: What happens if you overdose on KH2PO4 ?

Neither will get you algae. The NO3 might kill critters/fish if it gets real high. PO4 shouldn't be of any issues as far as I know. Greenwater is induced by ammonia/urea coupled with loads of light.

Regards
Peter Gwee
 

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
18,695
736
113
Re: What happens if you overdose on KH2PO4 ?

Folks add 3-5ppm of PO4, others have certainly overdosed KH2PO4, many think it's KNO3 or K2SO4 and start adding 1/2 teaspoons 3 x a week to 55 gal.

Run that through Spar's Calculator:)

If you uprooted a lot of the tank. if you had a fish die, old filter that needs cleaned, used Jobes sticks in the past, used house plant fertilizers etc.

Sunlight also helps in some tanks with poor CO2.


But few can induce GW without NH4 and anyone can make a broth of pea soup with NH4. I;ve gone to over 100ppm with NO3, and about 3ppm with PO4.

No green water, the difference between 3ppm and 10ppm to the algae is neglible, it way beyond any limitation the plants/algae or any organism might require.

Regards,
Tom Barr