This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Unfortunately for Photobucket users, things have changed in a big way as of June 26th they are rolling out a $399 per year subscription fee for those who want to hotlink images from Photobucket’s servers to display elsewhere.
    This does not mean it only affects this site, It now means that billions of images across the Web now display an error message instead of the image in question. :(
    https://barrreport.com/threads/attention-photobucket-users.14377/
    Dismiss Notice

What happens if you overdose on KH2PO4 ?

Discussion in 'Advanced Strategies and Fertilization' started by Jersey Scape, Dec 21, 2005.

1. Jersey Scape

Jersey Scape Junior Poster

I know that if you overdose on KNO3 you will have a whole load of algae growing but what happens if you overdose on mono potassium phosphate (KH2PO4)?

I think I have green water so I am trying to find the source of that...

Jersey

2. PeterGwee

PeterGwee Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Re: What happens if you overdose on KH2PO4 ?

Neither will get you algae. The NO3 might kill critters/fish if it gets real high. PO4 shouldn't be of any issues as far as I know. Greenwater is induced by ammonia/urea coupled with loads of light.

Regards
    Peter Gwee

3. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator Social Group Admin

Folks add 3-5ppm of PO4, others have certainly overdosed KH2PO4, many think it's KNO3 or K2SO4 and start adding 1/2 teaspoons 3 x a week to 55 gal.

Run that through Spar's Calculator:)

If you uprooted a lot of the tank. if you had a fish die, old filter that needs cleaned, used Jobes sticks in the past, used house plant fertilizers etc.

Sunlight also helps in some tanks with poor CO2.

But few can induce GW without NH4 and anyone can make a broth of pea soup with NH4. I;ve gone to over 100ppm with NO3, and about 3ppm with PO4.

No green water, the difference between 3ppm and 10ppm to the algae is neglible, it way beyond any limitation the plants/algae or any organism might require.

Regards,
    Tom Barr

4. jrneuzil

jrneuzil Expired Subscriber

I had a green water problem that disappeared after running UV for three days.