What fish ARE NOT jumpers for open top tanks?

AquaticJim

Guru Class Expert
Aug 2, 2007
What species are WELL KNOWN :) for not ending up outside of their four glass walls?

I've lost a lot of fish over the years.

nipat

Guru Class Expert
May 23, 2009
AquaticJim;69978 said:
What species are WELL KNOWN :) for not ending up outside of their four glass walls?

I've lost a lot of fish over the years.

Fancy goldfish, the fat type with two tails. ;)

Jim Miller

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2010
Baltimore, MD
I've got an open top with no jumpers. Otos, Corys, Boraras briggitae, microdevario nanus, sundedanio axelrodi.

jim

nipat

Guru Class Expert
May 23, 2009
Just found a dried up Black Neon Tetra on sofa today.
But I like rimless, open top tank. :(

"Q"

Prolific Poster
Jun 15, 2011
Almost any fish will jump if they get an irritating enough parasite. And it might not be something that shows itself right away either.

That said I find many loaches are great escape artists and are not to be trusted.

nipat

Guru Class Expert
May 23, 2009
[QUOTE="Q";70295]Almost any fish will jump if they get an irritating enough parasite. And it might not be something that shows itself right away either.

That said I find many loaches are great escape artists and are not to be trusted.[/QUOTE]

I feel a bit angry everytime when reading someone says MAIN reason fishes jump
is from water quality, fish health, etc. Because I think there are much more reasons
than that.

All my Black Neon Tetra jumping incidents are coincident with mating frenzy.
Were they in bad health, they wouldn't mate, and... probably didn't jump.

jaidexl

Prolific Poster
Oct 17, 2006
Fort Myers Florida
nipat;70296 said:
I feel a bit angry everytime when reading someone says MAIN reason fishes jump
is from water quality, fish health, etc. Because I think there are much more reasons
than that.

All my Black Neon Tetra jumping incidents are coincident with mating frenzy.
Were they in bad health, they wouldn't mate, and... probably didn't jump.
I get annoyed too, lots of species jump all over the place just to relocate themselves. Not strange to see fish splashing around in the wild, but when it happens in your tank then it's surely too much CO2 or ammonia, or whatever. Don't think many fish are even equipped to realize they're not going to land back in the lake, I mean they are looking right out at what they have to think is more water, probably see fish reflections in it too, so "hey guys let's hop over to that puddle and chase those ladies" PLOINK.........> carpet jerky :gw

uimike

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Dec 29, 2008
my jumpers: clown loach, einthovenii rasbora, harlequin, glow light tetra, anabantids
never jumped (knock on wood): several corys, otos, kuhlii, back neon tetra (but then, they're NOT in a frenzy)

my nerite snails sometimes jump :)