What Dirt Should I Use For A Dirted Tank?

wtusa1783

Jun 28, 2020
U.S.
I want to dirt my 20 long. What dirt should I use? It would have to be a dirt you can find at Lowe’s and Home Depot

James Myers

Jun 7, 2020
Texas
I use Miracle Grow with low nitrates. It is also made from natural ingredients. The best way is to get a tub dump the soil in then soak it for several hours take out big pieces and floaters then drain and soak again. After the second soak place the soil on a tarp in direct sunlight and let dry thoroughly. When adding to tank get a spray bottle and wet lightly until you have a heavily wet soil then plant your plants. This is also a good time to add certs such as Ozmocote pellets or root tabs. Also on a side note this will be cloudy and a little dirty but if you place floss in your filter it will clear quicker.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

wtusa1783

Jun 28, 2020
U.S.
Yes, I believe that is it. I think it says natural on it.

Is it the “nature’s cure” one?

AAC116B7-3FAE-42C3-9CB2-7F5209CB2B5A.png

Beau Ranheim

Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
Aug 15, 2020
Brooklyn
Looking to set up a soil tank for the first time. Looking for suggestions on mixing ratios with soil/gravel etc. Do you layer or mix different components in a homogeneous substrate?

James Myers

Jun 7, 2020
Texas
Using 1.5 inches of soil (you can add root tabs or whatever dry ferts you want) then cap with 1.5 to 2 inches of gravel (pea or whatever you want). Add plants before adding the gravel. I recently found soil with the brand name kellogg. Finer than others and no sticks or big chunks. If the tank is new cycle for 3-4 weeks.

Beau Ranheim

Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
Aug 15, 2020
Brooklyn
Using 1.5 inches of soil (you can add root tabs or whatever dry ferts you want) then cap with 1.5 to 2 inches of gravel (pea or whatever you want). Add plants before adding the gravel. I recently found soil with the brand name kellogg. Finer than others and no sticks or big chunks. If the tank is new cycle for 3-4 weeks.

James,

Thanks for the advice and recommendation. Looks like Kellogg isn't available near Brooklyn so I will probably go with the Miracle Gro mentioned earlier unless there are any other recommendations.

James Myers

Jun 7, 2020
Texas
Miracle grow is good. You may have to strain to get the bigger pieces out. Also pre soaking then drying will help.