What causes pogostemon erectus tips to turn black?

oliverpool

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jul 27, 2011
As above. What ferts is lacking that will cause erectus tips to slowly turn black?

I am dosing around 2/3 of the ei dosage for my tank with medium light. So can't see how I can be short on ferts.

oliverpool

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jul 27, 2011
Here is a picture. A little hard to show a good pic. Basically perhaps 30% of my erectus plant has tips that seem to be turning black. I been increasing my co2 bit by bit and it seems the only plant in my tank havin a problem now is this plant. I did do a trim by chopping off the top of the erectus by 2-5cm to try to get them level with each other about 2 weeks ago. That should not cause a problem right?

Attachments

• erectus tip brown.jpg
    157 bytes · Views: 292
Last edited by a moderator:

oliverpool

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jul 27, 2011
This problem seem to be getting worse! And am starting to get some hair algae it seems. BBA seem to be coming back in doves as well. Starting to increase my co2 after reducing it due to one coral red pencilfish and a few hastatus casualty.

Did a major trim of my bba inflected leaves on Buce, anabius and also some daily excel dose at recommended levels. Also chopped off quite a bit of the erectus to try to clear the black tips area as much as possible. My nitrate levels seems to go from 25ppm after water change to 50ppm just before. Almost no kh with 2-3 gh through equalibrium use each week. The one week holiday I took 2 weeks ago did not help. But the thread hair algae seems to stop increasing And seems to be dieing back.

Just not sure what to do now. Reduce lighting temp? Continue to increase co2? Increase ferts? Currently at 3/4 recommended ei levels for my tank. Any suggestion on plan of attack most appreciated

puopg

Guru Class Expert
Nov 19, 2012
Sacramento
IME, This plant does much better when topped and replanted, rather than mowed. I can't really see any black parts you referring to in the photo, but i know when i mowed this plant, its just looked ugly and smaller shoots had trouble competing since the leaves are so dense.

gsjmia

Lifetime Members
Lifetime Member
Jan 10, 2010
Boca Raton, FL
Same experience as puopg. Right now I have one stem that was topped and the cut top that was replanted. The cut stem has no new growth and is getting black moldy looking algae on some of the leaves, while the replanted top has grown about 8" in the same time period and looks great (and is ready to be cut).

I like this plant, but its a pain to keep pulling the stem and roots up-it has a pretty good root structure.

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
Maybe less light on the cut stumps vs the nice taller tops also.
They have to regrow the tips and or roots.

Takes some time to rebound and algae often strikes then.

See the new thread I posted about O2 and CO2 from root zones and algae.

oliverpool

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jul 27, 2011
I love this plant. But I agree that it seems to be better to topped and replanted. Otherwise it seems to take a long time to grow again at the cut part and it basically sprouts shoots from the cut area. Making the top even more heavy compared to the bottom. Very tough to shorten then it seems.

The black parts now seem to be have been taken over by fuzz or hair algae. My hairgrass also seems to be picking up BBA by the truckload. Sigh. I am thinking of removing all my hairgrass and replacing them with Pogostemon Helferi and maybe replant my whole Erectus again. Or is there a easier fast growing plant that can be trimmed from the top?

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
Ya got other issues, the BBA and algae on the bottom, not so good.

Some plants are wimpier about CO2.

I had this plant and it did very well either method of trimming and bounced back easily.

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005

I had this plant and it did very well either method of trimming and bounced back easily.

oliverpool

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jul 27, 2011
Tom Barr;120239 said:

Oops. U mean u have other issues including co2?