What BBA can’t stand

alessandro

Nov 8, 2017
italy
s-l300.jpg

Reptile bulbs, 14% UVB radiation and 30% UVA radiation, the rest as a complete light spectrum or so they claim.............

I actually have a luminare with six 54W t5 bulbs.
I do light 4 of those for 8 hours and the remaining two in addition to the main four, just for three hours in the center of my light cycle, simulating midday light.

My plan is to use the two UVB bulbs for the midday center hours and see how plants fish and most important BBA react.

In addition to this indoor experiment in spring as the weather warms up enough (early april), I will set up a 250 Gallon glass tank outdoor, close to my ponds and light it up with Sunshine only, all the rest will be set as my indoor tanks:

double filtration with strong water flow, Pressurized Co2 with super efficient Reactor (my own design), EI dosing, 50% weekly water change, large plant biomass and very rich fish population with very heavy feedings to stimulate BBA growth.

The tank will be shaded by an adjustable tent so that I can adjust direct sunhine duration during the day. My plan is to supply 3/4 hours direct Sunshine and the rest indirect light but I may change that to my liking.

Reactions: a1matt and burr740

tiger15

Aug 12, 2017
NJ
I look forward to your update on the experiments. I am surprised no one has looked into the linkage between UV light and BBA yet.

Heavy fish load and feeding is a recipe for green water in outdoor set up, which may mask the experimental results. Apparently, natural UV light isn't powerful enough to eliminate green water, but in line aquarium UV can. One way to combat green water is to grow daphnia in a net as a biological filter.

Ebay sells many LED strip and screw in black light, which is another source of UV. However I have no idea of the strength of the UV and how it is rated. Ideally, you have to simulate natural sunlight UV strength, which is a factor that can affect the experimental outcome.

Last edited:

alessandro

Nov 8, 2017
italy
I think that the majority of people keeping aquariums do not keep ponds at the same time and that’s probably the reason why nodody noticed that BBA do not grow in outside ponds.

Most aquarium people is only thinking about the same things: nutrient concentration, water flow, type of filter or artificial light sources, fish population and is never thinking out of the box.

what is different in an outside pond? The major difference is Natural light from the sun, all the rest can be the same as in an indoor aquarium.

I’m not concerned about getting green water at all, I have some fish free ponds full of daphnias to use in case of need and if the plant biomass is large enough as I’m planning I won’t have greenwater anyhow.

In my indoor test it won’t be possible to simulate the same UV intensity and spectral distribution of the sun, but I’m hoping to see if those UV bulbs will produce any effect on BBA.

My outdoor test instead is only a double check of using a glass tank instead than one of my plastic liner ponds that I’ve kept for years. I just want to be sure to have everything as an indoor aquarium except light.
I will introduce healty BBA from some indoor aquariums through plants rocks and wood and see how long it will take to get them destroyed.

I know this is not the perfect scientific method, but I still think I can get the proof of my Vision.

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
I've used 2 UV bulbs on my 120, never noted any BBA reduction on the wood, does not grow on the plants.
I was hoping for better colors for the UV effect on red plants, blah.....nothing.

But it did not help even one iota on the algae.

alessandro

Nov 8, 2017
italy
Tom, may I ask what kind of UV Bulbs have you been using and how many hours a day they were on?

I suspect that T5 bulbs emit a small fraction of their power under the form of UVB and UVA, thus not being able to even get close to direct solar radiation.

The quantity of UVB and UVA should be enough to damage the DNA of the monocellular algae.
To reproduce the same solar spectrum with the same intensity of UVB and UVA radiation I should probably use the Xenon or Metal Halide lamps as used
for Solar testing of commercial solar panels, but it will be much better to simply place an aquarium outside exposed to direct Sunshine and see what happen.

I will give a full report of this experiment with a journal starting day one. (april should be a good time to start this as outside tremperatures get milder and I can keep the temperature of the aquarium in my normal range, 77 to 80 F)

Do you know where BBA occurs naturally in the wild? and what are the conditions were they grow?

This would be a precious information. Thanks

tiger15

Aug 12, 2017
NJ
I just found this description on natural habitat of bba in another forum which I copied below. It looks like bba thrive in low nutrient fast moving stream and river and likely exposed to full sunlight.

https://www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/what-exactly-causes-bba.36674/page-1

1. https://books.google.ie/books?id=IikPwCt1ioEC&pg=PA205&lpg=PA205&dq=audouinella food&source=bl&ots=hMY4BDZiSg&sig=Jk-1GqavCmwZ1-uIDeXsxFMzzco&hl=en&sa=X&ei=SrUpVY2SL47vasucgIAI&redir_esc=y#v=onepage&q=audouinella food&f=false

Here are some extracts word for word that somewhat describe different species of freshwater red algae.

In general, freshwater red algae are localized in reasonably unpolluted waters and are infrequent to absent in streams and rivers that are organically enriched, greatly silted, or very high in inorganic nutrients(Sheath and Hambrook, 1990)
    Fresh water algae are found in a wide range of oxygen concentrations but there tends to be an increase in frequency of occurence with higher conentrations(Sheath and Hambrook 1990)
    94% of fresh water red algae is found in rivers and streams.
    The interaction between the Ph and the form of inorganic carbon can greatly influence the productivity and distribution of Rhodophyta(Sheath and Hambrook 1990)
    Although wide spread species are found in a wide range of Ph values, the majority occur in mildly acidic waters between ph 6 and 7. However, there are exceptions to this pattern, including Bangia, Chroadactylon, Thoreales and Ceramiales which maybe considered alkalophilers(Sheath 1987)
    The effect of Ph can be attributed to the form of inorganic carbon available, some taxa such as Lemanea mamillosa have been shown to use only free CO2 as a carbon source for photosynthesis which is the predominant form in mildly acidic ph values(e.g Raven et al., 199f)
    Above ph 8, the proportion of free CO2 drops below 2-5% and species occuring in these waters would require flow replenishment or use of alternative sources of inorganic carbon(Sheath and Hambrook, 1990)
    One species commonly distributed in high Ph waters is the crustose Hilden brandia rivularis, which also utilizes CO2 as a carbon source but may also use HCO3-, although this possibility has not been confirmed (Raven et al, 1994)

Freshwater rhodophytes occur in a broad range of nutrient values, but they are more typically found in low to moderate regimes(e.g., PO4*3- below detection to 100mg/l-1)
    The common occurence of red algae at low nutrient levels is partually due to flow replenishment and reduction of the boundary layer of depletion riverine systems. In addition, many species form colorless hair cells that may be produced in response to nutrient deficiency, as is the case for some green algal filaments.
    Some researches have employed rhodophytes for classification of streams. For example in Austria Hildenbrandia is typical of lowland rivers with relatively high nutrients, wheres Lemanea is regarded as indicative of high altitude streams with low nutrients.

sciencefiction, 12 Apr 2015

(You must log in or sign up to reply here.)
Page 14 of 27
< Prev1121314151627Next >

alessandro

Nov 8, 2017
italy
thank you, very interesting information!

It looks like there are many Rodhophites which thrive in different conditions, we should identify the ones in our aquariums to be more precise. Even if this is not so easy.

In any case I do have plenty of nutrients in my indoor aquariums, around 40 ppm Nitrates, 20 ppm Potassium and about 4 ppm Phosphates, PH around 6,4 due to high CO2 dosing and low hardess KH3 and GH 6.

I have a rich and healthy plant population which is free of BBA but I tend to get some on hardscape, near high water flow.

In my outdoor ponds which receive 3/4 hours direct sunlight I never get BBA even near the filter outflow and if I introduce BBA on rocks or woods coming from my indoor aquarium they Die off very quickl

In my ponds conditions are different as I have harder water GH 17 KH 10 and basic PH 7,3 and I do not supplement CO2 so it could be a combination of those conditions which BBA can’t stand.

This is why in spring I will replicate indoor conditions outside except lighting with 3/4 hour of direct sunshine.

5A7446EC-0428-4E72-9D03-411D0A1A191E.jpeg

27D2F706-3143-4A51-8880-000584C9C0D4.jpeg

alessandro

Nov 8, 2017
italy
in the pictures above, one of my aquariums, where I get some BBA on hardscape, very little, but very annoying and one of my ponds in wintertime, always free of BBA during any season.

nicpapa

Guru Class Expert
Mar 2, 2012
greece
I can say that u can run a tank without co2 , and keep algae free, no bba.
And when u add co2 u can see bba growing... :)
I keep lot of tanks without co2, and never saw bba on those tanks.
Also bba has a relation with organics in the water...
After 5 years that i keep platns i can say that bba mostly grown i n the tanks when co2 its not stable. and when we have lot of organics , dirty filters.
In my 180 lt i keep co2 stable 24hours, i placefo test an airpump for the night to drop the co2 a litlte, and in one week i saw bba on the platns...
I use a litle excel on the bba , i remove the airpump and bba diapear...

alessandro

Nov 8, 2017
italy
I know that if you use an algicide like Glutharaldeide you kill BBA but this is of no interest to me.

I’m not looking to kill the problem, but rather to understand the reason or reasons that cause BBA.

I also would like to identify the factor or factors which inhibit completely the growth of BBA in my outdoor ponds.

I suppose this could be the Ultraviolet Radiation of the Sun or other radiations from the sun which are unavailable in our indoor tanks that only receive artificial light (very far from the solar spectrum, both in terms of radiation distribution and intensity).

Nobody ever noticed this or even supposed that the Sun could be the best cure for BBA? This is my guess.

Could there be other factors? Sure, there could be water hardness, PH, free CO2 concentration and who knows what else, and this is why this Spring I’ll position one of my aquariums outdoor, no artificial light only direct or indirect light from the Sun. Water conditions will be the same as in my indoor tanks low hardness, low PH, high CO2 concentrations and lots of nutrients in the water many plants and many fish with heavy feedings.

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
Tom, may I ask what kind of UV Bulbs have you been using and how many hours a day they were on?

I suspect that T5 bulbs emit a small fraction of their power under the form of UVB and UVA, thus not being able to even get close to direct solar radiation.

The quantity of UVB and UVA should be enough to damage the DNA of the monocellular algae.
To reproduce the same solar spectrum with the same intensity of UVB and UVA radiation I should probably use the Xenon or Metal Halide lamps as used
for Solar testing of commercial solar panels, but it will be much better to simply place an aquarium outside exposed to direct Sunshine and see what happen.

I will give a full report of this experiment with a journal starting day one. (april should be a good time to start this as outside tremperatures get milder and I can keep the temperature of the aquarium in my normal range, 77 to 80 F)

Do you know where BBA occurs naturally in the wild? and what are the conditions were they grow?

This would be a precious information. Thanks

Those details do not matter if the UV actually works.............
I used Hortilux.
8 hours a day.
Pretty high lighting, 150 umols. More than most folks would ever need.

If it harms BBA, it'll harm fish, plants, and other things as well, you are using basically a general biocide and seeking selectivity, killing only BBA or other algae, but not the plants.
There's a good reason those T5 bulbs only emit a little bit of the UV spectrum. BBA lives in streams mostly, plenty of light and UV. CO2 ranges about 5-10 ppm. Algae are pretty tough when it comes to high light. I think common sense should tell you where this is going.
I doubt it's going to work. Why not focus more on good CO2?
That actually grows plants better.
Every BBA issue I've seen in person, has been related to CO2 in some way. No exceptions. There might be some, but I've never seen it in person.
Several 100 tanks, some operating 15 years etc. Plenty of ups and downs over that time frame.

Reactions: Mooner

scottward

Guru Class Expert
Oct 26, 2007
Brisbane, Australia
Ponds typically have much less flow than aquariums. BBA likes Flow. CO2 is likely lower in a shallow pond with lots of surface area. Temps are cooler in the pond. BBA likes warmer temps, 5-10 ppm CO2, and flow............it lives in streams typically.

Do not like it? Grow plants better and better.
Use lower light.

Water changes seem to encourage it frankly.
But depends on other factors.

My thoughts exactly.
CO2 lower than BBAs preferred range, large surface area so probably higher oxygen.
I've run a long term UV steriliser and found it had no effect on BBA.

tiger15

Aug 12, 2017
NJ
After 5 years that i keep platns i can say that bba mostly grown i n the tanks when co2 its not stable. and when we have lot of organics , dirty filters.
Is there a correlation that bba can uptake organic nutrients directly more effectively than higher plants bypassing the mineralization stage? Interestingly, natural occurring bba thrive in low nutrient fast moving water and often used as an indicator of good water quality. Blue green algae, on the other hand, love eutrophic stagnant conditions from what I read.

nicpapa

Guru Class Expert
Mar 2, 2012
greece
Is there a correlation that bba can uptake organic nutrients directly more effectively than higher plants bypassing the mineralization stage? Interestingly, natural occurring bba thrive in low nutrient fast moving water and often used as an indicator of good water quality. Blue green algae, on the other hand, love eutrophic stagnant conditions from what I read.

It can be a relation with oxygen in the water... High organic, high bacters --- low oxyzen...

Reactions: Tom Barr

tiger15

Aug 12, 2017
NJ
Is there an update on the experimental results from the OP?

I recently set up a shrimp bowl by the window with dirt substrate, no heater, no aeration and no filter. The PAR must be super high as it gets 4 to 5 hour direct sunlight daily. The bowl is fully planted with floating and carpet plants. I am not sure what I have done right as I have not encountered any algae. I transferred some BBA infected plants to the bowl and they are gone with no trace in few weeks.

alessandro

Nov 8, 2017
italy
Hello,

yes I do confirm that my outside aquarium with 3 hours direct sunlight and the rest indirect sunshine got no BBA at all, not even the smallest trace of it, but I started the tank just 1and 1/2 months ago.
Experiment will go on the whole summer.
In my indoor aquarium where some BBA were present on a wood, In addition to my 4 regular T5 bulbs I added 2 UV emitting bulbs and I noticed their drastic reduction in 3 months now. I cant be sure this is due to the UV bulbs or by any other factor.

Next thing will be introducing BBA in my outdoor aquarium, unfortunately I dont have much more of those anywhere, so I’ll search from some friends and try to introduce infested plants or other infested substrate.

tiger15

Aug 12, 2017
NJ
What type of UV bulb did you pick?

I read that high light and low co2 is a recipe for bba. My bowl receives intense direct sunlight and low co2 from dirt substrate, and there is not a trace of bba or any other algae. My estimate of the co2 at peak lighting period is below 0.5 ppm based on pH-kH chart. The intense sunlight has stripped co2 to near zero and raised pH close to 9.

So is the intense light low co2 combination or UV light doing the trick. My bowl has high plant mass. Without plants, the water would certainly turn green.

alessandro

Nov 8, 2017
italy
both lamps emit about 20% of their radiation in the UV spectrum. One is Arcadia and the other is Raptor they are designed for Reptiles.
I really noticed a drastic reduction of BBA especially on the wood which is directly under the lamps.

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
You can use shade cloth, 90-95% blockage for outdoor ponds, this is about 100-200 umols of light. This is what we used for our ponds at the aquatic weed lab, we operated about 20 of them.
Diatom algae mostly like typical planted tanks. No BBA or green hair type algae once the shade cloth was added.

BBA is mostly a CO2 issue for 95% of folk's aquarium.
I've had high DOC, organics etc, but..............I also had good gas exchange and enough O2.
Bacteria is able to break things down under those conditions.

I have non CO2 planted tanks and CO2 enriched tanks, tanks that get no water changes to speak of with and without CO2.
BBA will appear in the CO2 enriched systems far more than non CO2 planted tanks as a rule.

Reactions: sarpijk

Claudio

Nov 4, 2019
Rome, Italy
I cannot say much on the biology of BBA, but I can say something about the light.
Part of my job is working with lamps called "solar simulators". These lamps are either used to simulate the solar spectrum out of atmosphere (AM0, air mass zero, with UV-C) to simulate environment in space, or inside atmosphere (like AM1, at sea level with Sun directly over head, without UV-C, mainly to test solar cells. There are other Air Mass options to simulate other conditions of latitude and Sun angle above horizon).
A solar simulator that simulates the correct power density and a good enough spectrum over a small surface, like 12 cm x 12 cm, uses a 1 kW Xenon arc lamp and can cost about 50'000 Euros. There are other options, nowadays there are even LED simulators, but the order of magnitud of the cost is several tens of thousand Euros. For a small area. And these are still "good enough" approximations of real solar spectrum, not an exact match!
What is my point?
My point is that in our tanks we are running lamps that have a power of few tens of Watts or several hundreds of Watts, to illuminate a large area (even a 30 cm x 30 cm is "large" if compared to the area of an average solar simulator). The spectrum of these lamps has been tested to allow plants to perform photosintesis but it is far from a decent approximation of solar light. When doing comparison of what happen in a pond and inside an indoor tank, we must remember this difference.