What are my plants missing?

Ben Jamin

Junior Poster
Jan 13, 2017
I attached a pic. It seems the lower leaves are turning yellow and dissolving, but the upper leaves are fine. I have a low tech tank, no excel. I only dose flourish for micros. My nitrates are abut 20 to 25. Was hoping to let the fish supply the macros, but apparently something is missing. Although, the anubis might be turning brown because I dipped it in peroxide :\ Any suggestions? Thanks!

Reactions: 2 people

rajkm

Article Editor
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Article Editor
Sep 16, 2015
Hillsboro, OR
The pin holes in the lower leafs are likely from lack of Potassium which fish cannot supply and Flourish has very little of it.

Start with that. I think you will need to dose some Excel or other CO2 source (DIY or pressurized)

Reactions: 2 people

Amanda Adkins

aquariumfertilizer.com
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2015
Napa, California
www.aquariumfertilizer.com
Your plants are lacking in structural nutrients such as potassium and calcium and trace elements for help with absorption of nutrients. Boron is an important one of these. Keep in mind that trace or micro nutrients are called that because living creatures: plants and animals only need a small amount of them to be healthy.

edelry.junior

Plant Enthusiast
Lifetime Member
Nov 26, 2016
Germany
Ben Jamin Could you please post more photos, also of the whole tank, frontal and side views?

I agree with Julia about the ferts, but it is hard to judge from only close ups.