What am I doing wrong? (A long read but I need help bad.)

Matt F.

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
May 30, 2009
California
I think certain concretes leach lime. What type did you use to buil your background? Do you think that's the problem. DHG doesn't need that much light to grow.

Oreo

Guru Class Expert
May 6, 2010
All concrete will leach alkalinity into the water for a period of time. This tends to drop off after the first month or so. For instance, I couldn't even keep fish in my aquarium for the first couple of months. I had to do lots of daily 100% water changes and towards the end, I had to test with a single gold fish watching closely to see if the fish was showing signs of stress. Eventually the system stabilized- pH, Alkalinity, & other water parameters all test at normal levels now & have for over a year and a half.

I do not think the concrete background is the source of my problems. Granted, it does provide some challenges with respect to providing a surface close to the light source for algae to grow on but algae isn't my main problem. So far, it looks like insufficient light was my primary problem, aggravated by some other factors like poor reflectors, & a very tall (30") aquarium.

Last edited by a moderator: