This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

What algea is this?

Discussion in 'Algae Control' started by BarnOwl, Jan 7, 2011.

1. BarnOwl

BarnOwl Junior Poster

Local Time:
    4:48 AM
    Hi, my first post here and already an algea problem.... I posted this in several fora but nobody can give me an answer.
    Its a 200G tank. Ph controlled CO2: 6.9 Ph, 5Kh, NO3 20, PO4 1-2, 2x 70ml Profito.
    1 x 1700L/h, 1 x 4000L/h, powerhead Koralia 4 (6000L/h). 8 x 39w T5 dimmed with Profilux.

I have been doing this for years and somehow this popped up half a year ago. I thought I had it under control but is is coming and going on the Staurogyne and Glosso and some on the Cyperus Helferi. Other plants are not affected.

Anybody any thoughts?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Jeroen
    Slideshow

#1 BarnOwl, Jan 7, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 7, 2011
  2. dutchy

dutchy Plant Guru Team
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    To me it seems like you have both BBA and GSA. BBA is there because of a CO2 problem, GSA because of low PO4 (1 or 2 ppm is still low) also accompanied by low CO2.

What I would do is:

1. Increase CO2. Go down very gradually to a pH of 6,5 to 6,6. Wait a week after each change and watch what happens.
    2. Turn off CO2 at night. With high CO2 this could get dangerous to your livestock.
    3. Increase PO4 to at least 3 to 4.
    4. Less light. I don't know how much they are dimmed, mine (180 gallon) are at full power but it is just 250 Watts and no reflectors.

I don't have BBA asa well as GSA.

regards,
    dutchy

3. BarnOwl

BarnOwl Junior Poster

Local Time:
    Thanks, Dutchy.
    I'll try that. Mind you, the light is dimmed. It's only at it's peak 1.5 hrs around 14.00.

I have increased PO4 to 3 and put some more Profito in. I will increase CO2 from 6.9 to 6.6. I'll let you know!

4. dutchy

dutchy Plant Guru Team
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    The algae you have now is not going to disappear by itself. Watch if new growth stays algae free. Especially with GSA there is a delay of about two weeks before it stops growing.

regards,
    dutchy

5. BarnOwl

BarnOwl Junior Poster

Local Time:
    I know, I hope it stops. I'll come back to it in about two weeks..........
    I hope you're right about the algae, as you can see the black one sits on top of the green one. Strange......it almost looks like it is one species, as they both grow in the same spot.

#5 BarnOwl, Jan 8, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 8, 2011
  6. barbarossa4122

barbarossa4122 Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    How about a few Ottos ?

7. Gerryd

Gerryd Plant Guru Team
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Hi,

Are you suggesting cause and effect here???? LOL

I would suggest removing all algae infested leaves and stems. They are not going to get better, so why let them leach nh4 while they degrade? Plus, it will show any NEW algae more easily.

dutchy and barabasa provided excellent advice that I would personally follow!

Your plants look healthy otherwise from what I can see. More pics?

What are you using for substrate?

Remember that c02 varies greatly over time and space. Have you been increasing c02 and other ferts as the tank has matured and the plant bio-mass expands? It is very rarely set and forget is all I am saying.

How about some full tank shots?

How high are your lights from the water surface? You could most likely decrease light a bit and not affect your growth adversely. Lower light may help match the c02 now available with no other changes.

All filters and such cleaned recently? An extra water change or two nevers hurts either when dealing with algae and to promote new/healthy plant growth.

#7 Gerryd, Jan 8, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 8, 2011
  8. BarnOwl

BarnOwl Junior Poster

Local Time:
    Hehehe...never looked at it that way, but it's a good one! :D

Yes, I am going to prune them out as much as possible. Today is Sunday (My refreshment and pruning day) so I will tackle it from there.

Take a look at "slideshow" in my signature.

Just fine sand from swimming pool filter, no substrate. I use fert balls for the plants that need it.

The tubes are about 6 cm from the surface. Actually this is a problem that came up suddenly and has not gone away. I think I introduced it with putting new plants in.

Thanks for thinking for a solution, Gerryd!

@Barbarossa: I do have Otto's in there, and some more algae eaters.....