This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What about Siamese Fighting Fish (Betta splendens)?

Discussion in 'Fish for Planted Tanks' started by ngfrazier, Jul 3, 2011.

1. ngfrazier

ngfrazier Junior Poster

What about a Betta?

Beautiful with lots of personality. I think they get a bad rap.

Whadda think?

2. Biollante

Biollante Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

So... What Do You Think?

Hi,

Perhaps you would like to start the conversation by telling us what you like about Bettas. :gw

What is it about the Betta personality you find endearing?:confused:

Enlighten us as to why you think Bettas get a bad rap.

For that matter what is the “rap’ that is bad?:eek:

I have kept them for years, properly kept; they are wonderful planted tank critters.:cool:

A bad Betta rap.
    [video=youtube;yDQq2SWZqF8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDQq2SWZqF8[/video]

Biollante

3. ngfrazier

ngfrazier Junior Poster

I've never had a Betta, so I can't speak much about them.

Here's what I like about Bettas: 1) amazing colors, 2) flowing shape and hypnotic fins, 3) unique in the planted tank (of the tons and tons of tetras/shrimp/discus you typically see).

I suppose most people ignore them because they are always seen alone, in small bowls, and have a reputation to kill other fish. They're like the Hannibal Lecter of fish, just looking at you through that glass cage...

[​IMG]

4. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

you can find anything on youtube these days....doesn't mean it should be shared:p Do you think they know their betta is probably not a "she".

Bettas are great fish and used to my top pick. I've since moved on to dwarf cichlids.

To be honest, in the past I have had more troubles with fish picking at the betta than the other way around.

Poor guys get sold as fish that live in small 1/2 gallon puddles in the wild, so you can keep them in a pint glass if you wish (*sarcasm detector*). :( Fish don't get the same respect as the other animals at the pet store.

5. anov50

anov50 Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

my betta (males) always get there fins wrecked in my planted tanks, red ones always seem to get it worse to. And they dont seem to like the flow either. Even in with small tettras its a problem. They did do ok in my shrimp tanks though it was short lived because the ate any baby shrimp they saw lol.