This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

What’s Wrong With This Rotala?

Discussion in 'General Plant Topics' started by Ryrowins, May 3, 2019.

1. Ryrowins

Ryrowins New Member

Local Time:
    4:43 PM
    Hello there!

I was hoping to get some clarity on the issue I’ve been having with this Rotala I’ve been struggling with. I’ve been searching here and on TPT and it seems like Either an iron deficiency...or an iron toxicity! The plant has become very stunted and you can see the spots on the leaves as well as turning translucent.

I planted it about 3 months ago in fresh Aquasoil, without CO2 and on the stock fluval spec v light. It took off without any problems and grew quite fast. I then got happy and started adding plants and equipment. lol funny how that works.

Basically ever since I increased plant mass and added CO2 the plant has suffered. Could it be CO2 still!? I’ve tried everything from a 1 point drop to a full 2 point drop! I will admit I have to baffle the output for the poor betta buddy I have in there.

I’ve been dosing nilocg Thrive (not plus) since the beginning and varying the dose based on any research I’ve done on here. For the last week I’ve tried to get 10ppm of NO3 per dose, 3x weekly. Is this too much micro along with the macros?

Thanks for any help!

70892B31-2CDA-4E95-9872-D1FEE56E2EA3.jpeg

2. AquaEnthu

AquaEnthu New Member

Local Time:
    7:43 PM
    IMO, your adding way to many nutrients. Niclog Thrives is based on Estimated index, at the 10ppm NO3 rate you stated, your dosing almost twice what's recommended.

I would do a 50% water change, a day, for the next three days. Don't start fertilizing again, until next week.

When you do restart fertilizing, cut the recommended dose.

1 pump(2ml) per 10g 1 to 3 days per week

For your 5 gallon Spec you would either do 1ml twice a week. (Note: the pump is 2ml so you will need to open the container and use a dropper to measure 1ml)

or dose 2ml (1 pump) once a week.

The NO3 level of 10ppm is probably not harmful. But the boron, cooper, and iron that comes along with it is getting high. If you want to get to 10ppm of Nitrate I would use a separate NO3 fertilizer but it's probably not necessary .

3. KeeperOfASilentWorld

Local Time:
    1:43 AM
    Dose 1 ml Thrive 3-4x a week. Which would give you 6 ppm NO3, 1.1ppm PO4, 4.2ppm K, 0.22ppm Fe and a super safe 0.0001ppm Cu per dose. Do 50% WC every 3 days for the first 2 weeks and weekly 50% after that. Where is your GH at? Ca? Mg?

Dial in CO2 and keep it above 40ppm at all times.

4. Ryrowins

Ryrowins New Member

Local Time:
    4:43 PM
    KH 5
    GH 8

It’s reconstituted RO water and I’m still trying to dial in the GH. I’ve since switched to a dry fert solution and am trying 2 50% or more water changes weekly on Macro days. Trimmed the Rotala down, but I am still seeing lingering long chain diatoms (melosira is what I gather from these forums). Will report back when I get it handled. Thanks guys!

5. sarpijk

sarpijk New Member

Local Time:
    6:43 PM
    Stop dosing at all for a week. I know I did and I now have healthy growt. Rotalas do not take well on water column dosing, they prefer root intake.

Tags: