This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

wet's thingy

Discussion in 'Aquascaping' started by Wet, Jun 28, 2010.

1. Wet

Wet Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    1:05 AM
    A couple pictures of my 40gal breeder from yesterday, before trimming. It's high light with daily N (and by extension, K) and Fe input and every other day dosing of P and other micros via Good Shit: http://www.barrreport.com/showthread.php/7134-How-to-make-DIY-Tropica-Plant-Nutrition-(or-how-to-make-the-Good-Shit) . Large water changes at least once a week, unless work is rough. Equipment is a broken Eheim used to hold filter floss (no biomedia) driven by an old MagDrive, then into a Hydor inline heater. Soil is a mix of RedSea Florabase, AquaSoil Amazonia, and terrestrial stuff. There's a humidifier in the back for the emergent stuff.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Submerged flower on Polygonum sp. 'Sao Paulo'
    [​IMG]

Cruising around the top
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

#1 Wet, Jun 28, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 28, 2010
  2. Wet

Wet Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Rotala mexicana 'Goias' is one of the coolest plants ever.
    [​IMG]

The main fish is 1 male and 3 female Paradise fish and 3 (tank born) juvies, a couple of White cheeked gobies, a school of Otos, a school of false (?) SAE, a rubber nose plec, and a juvie bristlenose plec.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thanks!

3. dbazuin

dbazuin Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    very nice!

4. nipat

nipat Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    I like the underwater scape :)

5. Gerryd

Gerryd Plant Guru Team
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Wet,

I like that very much...you have some excellent growth! Keep up the good work..

I would swap with dwarf gouramis personally....but the paradise ARE beautiful no doubt!

6. Wet

Wet Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Thanks, fellas :)

Gerry,

Yeah - I didn't think the Paradise would successfully spawn but now that they have, I am concerned about their size and territories once the kids are full grown. I might give them to friends since as single fish they can be fine in smaller tanks, but maybe I'll just flood the emergent sections of this tank, turn it into a proper aquarium, and give them more space. I think the funny log would pop and look awesome in such a setup. But just not sure yet.

I'll post updates in a while. Some of the bigger stems in here -- the Pogostemon yatabeanus and Ludwigia 'Cuba' especially -- have just been growing out from starter portions for a while and really belong in this other aquarium I have not gotten hardscape for yet. I'd like to yank at least a couple other species from this tank and make it more coherent...

#6 Wet, Jun 29, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 29, 2010
  7. Wet

Wet Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    ... so, on that note, I flooded it for the first time. Easy to tell the Paradisefish and other guys like the increased room and expanding territories. The stems like it, too.

I'm still trying to learn something about cameras. These were shot with my lady's vintage 50mm fixed length macro lens we picked up on eBay for like $50, and her Olympus E-620 camera, plus this $20 adapter she picked up on Amazon. So, because of sensor size it's a 100mm macro lens equivalent, but there's no autofocus. Fun and cheap tools to learn with. Now if only I learned good... ;)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Wet

Wet Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Last set of keepers.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. dutchy

dutchy Plant Guru Team
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Hi Wet,

Very nice, I especially like the second pic up. Very healthy plant growth.

regards,
    dutchy

10. nipat

nipat Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    It has the mysterious look I like :)

11. Wet

Wet Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Thank you :) I think you'll like it after I move some of the bigger stems and make this tank look bigger. I'll post to see what you think.

Found a new Paradise fry today. So, that potential problem is still there and only getting worse... also noticed one of the adult females so egg laden I'm a little worried (the male does not prefer her). Might post a pic in the fish forum to see what you think. (Is there anything I can do in such a situation but let nature take its course?)

12. ghostsword

ghostsword Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    This is a proper aquarium, it looks great.