Wet's EI modeling dosing calculator

Wet

Lifetime Members
Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2006
USA
It's been a fun weekend hacking on this project with you guys and learning Internationalization and things. :) I'm probably back to dribs and drabs of time again for the immediate future, but I hope others keep it going. Let's release version 2 in a week or three!

Daniel,

I see what you mean. My concern is I'm using the beginning and common end as more placeholders. Here's how I think it'd look:

Code:
output:
  dose: Your addition of %1 of %2 to your %3 aquarium adds
  dose_solution: Your addition of %1 of %2 to your %3 container, with doses of %4 to your %5 aquarium adds
  target: To reach your target of %1 you will need to add %2 of %3 to your %4 aquarium to yield
  target_solution: To reach your target of %1 you will need to add %2 of %3 to your dosing container.  Add %4 of that mix to your %5 aquarium to yield

If the above is easier for translations, let's do it. If it's more confusing or trickier to have 5 or more placeholders per line, I am hoping there's certain ways individual translations could be worded to make the existing layout work. What do you, Florin, and the community think?

Last edited by a moderator:

Wet

Lifetime Members
Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2006
USA
Just an update before the end of our little hackathon: first draft of German is on the alpha site via contribution by Wasserpest over at TPT.

Florin Ilia

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Mar 22, 2011
Bucharest, Romania
DanielSev;76121 said:
This problem is due to word order in spanish. May be you should consider two different sentences without having a common end.
Nice catch Daniel, there is the same problem in Romanian (for now the "dry" version refers to the aquarium as "container", it's still understandable because it's a "50 gal container", but ideally it should be changed).

@Wet: yes that version would solve it for me!

PS the tooltip from input.dose is OK, but the one from input.solution is still in English.

DanielSev

Prolific Poster
Nov 9, 2011
Seville, Spain
Florin Ilia;76145 said:
Nice catch Daniel, there is the same problem in Romanian (for now the "dry" version refers to the aquarium as "container", it's still understandable because it's a "50 gal container", but ideally it should be changed).

@Wet: yes that version would solve it for me!

PS the tooltip from input.dose is OK, but the one from input.solution is still in English.

To Wet & Florin:

I think that it is useless to spend more time trying to get completely solved this issue. As Voltaire said, "The better is the enemy of the good", so I think it is better to just put the two words like in "container/aquarium", thus that part of es.yml will work with:

Code:
target: Para alcanzar un objetivo de %1 necesitaras agregar %2 de %3 en tu recipiente/acuario de 
 target_solution: Agregar %1 de esa mezcla en tu acuario de 
 target_end: para conseguir

I will check if this part is correct as soon as it is up.

Best regards,
Daniel

Wet

Lifetime Members
Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2006
USA
Florin,

Great, got that second tooltip.

Hey Daniel. I actually like the long version especially since it is clear this will help more translations. I've pushed your changes above for the current version, but lets change it!

I believe I can change the output lines by combining lines in our existing translations, then updating the contribute a translation document. I'll just need to make some back end changes after work tonight or so. I'll send Florin a pull request and update Dutchy and Wasserpest as well.

In more news, first draft of Dutch (minus some links in the output) is up courtesy of dutchy. Thanks much dutchy!

(In a bit of inspiration I'm thinking of adding a Glutaraldehyde to target portion -- for the space not filled by http://glut.petalphile.com -- before we release v2.0 as well and may be asking for more translations later if you gentlemen don't mind. :) )

Wet

Lifetime Members
Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2006
USA
Hello folks.

First, sorry for my delay. I just did not have much time these past couple of days.

However, there are updates to the Alpha site as well as the translations files per this discussion. DanielSev, mind taking a look? I may have butchered your translation, and you can see the changes here: https://github.com/flores/yet-anoth...3aedad644a63408c750b5e195d4304d2de1e141#L1R43

alpha.calc.petalphile.com/contribute_translation has new templates . I apologize for any trouble.

Florin, you've got a pull request. :)

Please let me know if you like the single page layout in Alpha as well. I did have to do some tricks to get both the input and output on the same page on smaller monitors. I hope you do not mind.

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
For the Water change frequencies, could we have 2x a week, 3x a week also?

Thanks,

Tom Barr

Wet

Lifetime Members
Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2006
USA
Yes!

For a second I thought how fun it would be to chart your levels over the years. Then I reached table 1 and was reminded you really have been teaching us this same thing for 15 years. :gw ;)

Florin Ilia

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Mar 22, 2011
Bucharest, Romania
Wet, your Romanian is practically fluent now. For a minute I was confused - why does the Romanian text look correct after you edited it? - then I realized that you pasted together the previous texts and did a great job. I should start sending you jokes in Romanian :)

I sent you back a pull request with the new adjustments. I have two comments:
- Output on the same page as input = awesome (also great for testing translations!)
- In the output of "result of my dose", measurement units are not translated (they are for the other options though, good job)

Cheers!

Florin

PS Tom, this forum needs a beer smiley
toasth.gif

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
Wet;76248 said:
Yes!

For a second I thought how fun it would be to chart your levels over the years. Then I reached table 1 and was reminded you really have been teaching us this same thing for 15 years. :gw ;)

Funny how consistent I have been about some things. I was nicer back then and would not come across mean and crotchy not having answered the same questions 234 times :)

BTW, the article was a group meffect by myself, Steve Dixon and Erik Leung mostly, with some feedback from the group such as it was, back then.
It was more a general club consensus.

2-3x a week water change frequencies would be a nice addition.

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
Florin Ilia;76265 said:
PS Tom, this forum needs a beer smiley
toasth.gif

Yes, I'll see if Greg can get us some nicer sets of smiley's.

DanielSev

Prolific Poster
Nov 9, 2011
Seville, Spain
Hi, I tested briefly the calc now and the translation for the dry fertilizers options is still wrong. The proposed changes are shown below. Sorry you'll have to open the file in a separate tab and magnify it.

Best regards,
Daniel

[attachment=896:name]

pantalla.jpg

dutchy

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Jul 6, 2009
The Netherlands
The problem I see is that the amount of ml's daily/weekly dosage into the tank determines the diy premixed solution in the container, while it should be the other way around. The amount of the substance in the solution should determine the amount of added ml's into the tank to reach a certain value. But maybe it's there and I just overlooked it....

A lot of people will have difficulties with this. Just yesterday I was explaining someone the difference between 10 an 0,10 :(

DanielSev

Prolific Poster
Nov 9, 2011
Seville, Spain
dutchy;76299 said:
A lot of people will have difficulties with this. Just yesterday I was explaining someone the difference between 10 an 0,10 :(

Well, last week I had to explain to a first year engineering student how to start a program from the windows start menu, so go figure :rolleyes:

Best regards,
Daniel

Florin Ilia

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Mar 22, 2011
Bucharest, Romania
DanielSev;76298 said:
Hi, I tested briefly the calc now and the translation for the dry fertilizers options is still wrong.
Daniel, if it's wrong in Spanish, it will be wrong in Romanian. However I tried to test specifically for this case and it was my impression that now it is no longer possible to have the old ambiguity about the aquarium vs the solution container. That's why Wet made the last changes. Can you provide specific instructions on how to see the same text used once to refer to the aquarium and another time to the container?

Thanks,

Florin

DanielSev

Prolific Poster
Nov 9, 2011
Seville, Spain
Hi Florin,

The calc output if correct for dosing solutions, however it is wrong (grammatically) when you select dosing dry compounds. In the attachment of my previous message I show where is wrong and what it should read.

Best regards,
Daniel

Florin Ilia

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Mar 22, 2011
Bucharest, Romania
Daniel, my message was not clear, sorry.

What I meant was - with the new messages that Wet put in place, you always know if it's the container or the aquarium that you refer to - so it shouldn't be any need for "recipiente/acuario".

Unless I'm wrong of course :)

Florin

Wet

Lifetime Members
Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2006
USA
Sorry for my delay again, friends.

Hey DanielSev. I was hoping with the new parameters in the last update you could give me something easier to add to your translation file. These are the new values for output:
Code:
output:
  dose: Your addition of %1 to your %2 aquarium adds
  dose_solution: Your addition of %1 to your %2 container, with doses of %3 to your %4 aquarium adds 
  target: To reach your target of %1 you will need to add %2 to your %3 aquarium to yield
  target_solution: To reach your target of %1 you will need to add %2 to your %3 dosing container.  Add %4 of that mix to your %5 aquarium to yield

Thank you for such a detailed translation and your improvements and suggestions.

dutchy,

Thank you for the NL updates!
dutchy said:
The problem I see is that the amount of ml's daily/weekly dosage into the tank determines the diy premixed solution in the container, while it should be the other way around. The amount of the substance in the solution should determine the amount of added ml's into the tank to reach a certain value. But maybe it's there and I just overlooked it....

This is actually the opposite of what I've always wanted from a solution calculator. Lets say 100g of X in 500mL means I need to dose 3.5mL into my tank to reach target Y.
I would much rather calculate that adding 70g of X in 500mL lets me dose 5mL to reach target Y. (Because it is much easier to measure a funny amount once for the solution than it is for every dose.)

Alternatively, one could use the calculator to add 100g of X into 500mL and then see how much each 1mL adds to their tank.

But I see your point and we can change this. May be tricky with the new translations.

And thank you as always, Florin!

I am still actively seeking new translations and refinements to the existing ones, of course! Please notice some translations are wrapping around to new lines, and it is difficult for a UI novice like myself to work around this for styling and formatting. Brief input translations (or help with the styling!) are appreciated.

(There is enough space allocated now that almost no translations wrap. However, if input translations were shorter, I think we could make the one-page interface nicer looking. I cannot allocate any less space and have it work/look nice on many smaller laptops, and long translations guarantees we won't be able to port those changes to the mobile calculator while presenting an interface that works on most mobile devices.)

These bug reports are great.

Plantbrain said:
2-3x a week water change frequencies would be a nice addition.
This is totally drunken coding from tonight and won't be properly finished until after Yet Another Nutrient Calculator goes from alpha to "production", but PSSSSSST ;)

http://alpha.ei.petalphile.com

In addition to the multiple water changes per week, it now uses the wonderful and Free http://highcharts.com libraries, which allows you to click the legend to remove noise you don't care about...

Or zoom into the bits/timeframe you do care about

But it's probably got bugs with the new additions and is totally only Alpha and not quite ready yet, but should let you play a little for your demonstrations and models. I promise this will be better vetted after y.a.n.c. is properly released.

I'm going to continue to be mostly away for a while but appreciate all the help and ideas, all of you.

Florin Ilia

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Mar 22, 2011
Bucharest, Romania
Wet, the new graphs look very professional :)

Random issue report for the calculator, it recommends a low dose of K[SUB]2[/SUB]SO[SUB]3[/SUB] when calculating for EI. The output shows it clearly below the EI range:

kdosing.png

Is this because EI also recommends other K sources like KNO[SUB]3[/SUB] and KH[SUB]2[/SUB]PO[SUB]4[/SUB]? If yes, then could you please update the text to say so?