Wet's EI modeling dosing calculator

Biollante

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2009
Surprise, AZ
Your Friendly Neighborhood Evil Plant Monster PITA

Hi Daniel,

This is one of “those” calculator problems.
:rolleyes::p

We start with a built-in error of the difference between the mass of the solvent (distilled or deionized water) and the mass of the solute (salts).
For the purposes of very dilute solutions, they can, and we do consider them equal and this works very well in our aquariums
where we typically are in the 0.00005% to 0.0030% concentration range.
As the solution concentration, raises into the stock concentration ranges as in this example of almost 9.1%,
the difference in mass of the solvent and combined mass of the solute start to be noticeable.

I am reasonably sure in your example you used 1-liter as the solution rather than the 1.1–liters that Tom Barr is actually prescribing.
(For the record, I think Tom meant 1-liter total solution, but I will leave that issue to him.)

To be honest I do not think these numbers are very important when dosing fertz, the real problem comes when dosing medications and various treatments where a very small error can mean the difference between cure and catastrophe.
:gw

Biollante
DanielSev;75639 said:
Hi Wet, I must recheck everything before ask ! Anyway there is something that confuses me: if you follow the guidelines given by Tom in:

http://www.barrreport.com/showthread.php/3209-Want-more-accuracy-Want-daily-PMDD-style-EI-dosing

you have that if you want to dose 12 ml daily from a 1000 ml solution for a 20 Gal tank the necessary quantities are:

However if you set the same conditions in your calculator you get that you have to add 25.718 of KNO3 to get 2.5 ppm (I use KNO3 only as an example) which plotted for three months/7 times a week/50% weekly WC let the "no uptake" trend spikes slightly over 30 ppm. The quantities suggested by Tom gives a total of 6 ppm for KNO3 which if dosed daily yields spikes over 80 ppm for that same trend. Is there any error on this ??

Again, thank you for your wonderful tool.

Wet

Lifetime Members
Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2006
USA
Psssssssst... sneak peek of translations in alpha. Only English and Spanish for now, but would love more and need your help: http://alpha.calc.petalphile.com

Please let me know if you're up for contributing a language!

Last edited by a moderator:

Wet

Lifetime Members
Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2006
USA
Florin Ilia - yes, please!

I only need a ro.yml file. Here's an example in English: https://github.com/flores/yet-another-nutrient-calculator/blob/master/i18n/en.yml and Spanish: https://github.com/flores/yet-another-nutrient-calculator/blob/master/i18n/es.yml -- only tricks, as you may know, is not to edit any of the HTML or %1, %2 stuff.

If you can fork and send me a pull request via GitHub, it's preferred plus you get a commit into the project :) Otherwise, please feel free to shoot a PM or post here - whatever works. I do prefer GitHub because one of the goals of this calculator is that it live long past any individual or site or whatever, and instead is always available for the hobby.

Thank you!

Thanks to you too, Constantin. :)

If this goes well, lets translate http://ei.petalphile.com next.

Florin Ilia

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Mar 22, 2011
Bucharest, Romania
Hey Wet,

I tried to use GitHub but I got stumped at adding the new ro.yml file to the project.

- I did a fork
- I created my file
- I uploaded it
- I don't know how to add it to the i18n folder

Here's what I see:

ghstump.png

Help please!

Wet

Lifetime Members
Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2006
USA
Florin Ilia,

Awesome!

It looks like that Download tab is for compressed versions and doesn't actually use Git. I'm sorry that's confusing.

I googled some tools that might make it easier to make that commit without installing command line tools. Maybe one will help:

Windows/Mac/Linux:
http://engineeredweb.com/blog/10/2/smartgit-best-git-gui-so-far

Windows only:
http://software.krimnet.com/windows...indows-fully-gui-github-quick-start-guide.htm

Mac only:
http://mac.github.com/

(This is an open source project and released under the "do whatever you want with it" license ;) , so you shouldn't need to pay any of the registration costs if they prompt for any before download.)

If these steps are too hard, I am happy to just download ro.yml from your fork and push it live, with a credit in the commit to your name and username (and the readme when I push v2.0). Just let me know and we'll have Romanian up in minutes!

Thank you!

Wet

Lifetime Members
Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2006
USA
Hey Florin. Added it, credited you in the commit as well as the new howto page http://alpha.calc.petalphile.com/contribute_translation

If you get around to committing via Git, just shoot over a pull request please and I'll take care of the rest.

These alpha urls will redirect once v2.0 is official. Please let me know what you think: http://alpha.calc.petalphile.com/ro/

I'll fix the styling/css when you pick DIY -> Method a little later.

Thank you again.

DanielSev

Prolific Poster
Nov 9, 2011
Seville, Spain
Hi Wet,

I can help with the spanish translation (and I think I can improve it, as in its present form I understand better the english version than the spanish one :D ).

Best regards,
Daniel

DanielSev

Prolific Poster
Nov 9, 2011
Seville, Spain
Hi Wet,

Please, find below a fragment of the file for the spanish version of your calculator. Here is 1:10 AM, thus I'm afraid that you have to wait for the remaining code.

Just a few comments on my translation:
- element is used to refer to chemical elements (K, P, etc...) as well as to some compounds (PO4, ...). I think that the most accurate translation for element is elemento/compuesto.
- five_milliter has been translated into "cucharilla de té/tapón/5 ml". Teaspoons have no acronym in Spanish, thus I have to use the full words (cucharilla de té). Also it is very possible that your teaspoons are not of the same capacity as ours, thus I have included the exact quantity you are referring here, that is, 5 ml.
- I don't know what means pumps here (pump can be translated to bomba as in water pump).
- I have left empty the translation of container, because the position in which it is displayed is not grammatically correct. It is included in "text".
- As you may notice, the spanish language is more verbose than english, thus some of the field texts are longer than in english. In defense of my tongue, although this verbosity yields a less efficient transmission of information, its robustness is greatly enhanced, thus you have to speak a very very bad spanish with a horrible pronunciation to be misunderstood :p.

I will check how these changes look as soon as you put them into the calculator code and of course I promise to continue the translation.

Best regards,
Daniel

Code:
units:
  element: Elemento/Compuesto
  ppm: ppm
  degree: grado
  us_gal: galones internacionales (USA)
  imp_gal: galones imperiales (UK)
  Liter: L
  milliliter: mL
  five_milliter: cucharilla de té/tapón/5 ml
  pump_bottle: pumps
  grams: g
  milligrams: mg
input:
  aquarium: Mi acuario es de
  source:
    text: uso fertilizantes 
    diy: hágalo usted mismo
    commercial: producto comercial
    label: fertilizantes
  diy:
    text: Estoy añadiendo
    method_text: usando
    solution: disuelto en solución
    dry: compuesto seco
  solution:
    text: usando un recipiente de
    container: 
    dose: añadiendo dosis de 
  dosing_method:
    text: y estoy calculando
    target: dosis necesaria para alcanzar una concentración concreta
    dose: resultados de lo que estoy añadiendo
    ei: Método EI (Indice Estimativo)
    ei_daily: Método EI diario
    ei_low: Método EI suave/semanal
    pps: Método de preservación constante (PPS)
    pmdd: Método PMDD
  dose: Estoy añadiendo
  target: Mi objetivo es

Wet

Lifetime Members
Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2006
USA
DanielSev,

Wonderful! However, it's too hard to incorporate your changes on this mobile device, so I hope you don't mind me pushing until later when home.

Don't worry about the length of your translations within reason: I can work around this. Also thank you for making your contributions grammatically correct -- what you've done with container should totally work and I can catch those changes in the code.

Pumps here are 1.2mL pumps from a push pump bottle, such as from Pfertz or most soap bottle dispensers. The exception is RootMedic's stuff, which is 0.5mL per pump by design. For this reason, the calc does mL per pump behind the scenes and we can't just print a mL per pump number. We can change this if you think it's smart. Otherwise, how about a translation for "pump" in the context of these common push pumps?

Thank you for the contributions, Daniel!

(cc Florin Ilia)

In hopes it makes things easier for you and Florin, I added a template file you can add to. Once you fork the repo on GitHub, just make your changes/additions to this file: https://github.com/flores/yet-another-nutrient-calculator/edit/master/i18n/template.yml

(Replace "flores" there with your username, or browse to the i18n/template.yml file in your fork, then click the edit button.)

You can then edit using GitHub's fancy web interface and send a pull request. :) Mention the translation (example: ro.yml) and I will move template.yml over behind the scenes.

(Or this way we've been doing it works!)

Florin Ilia

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Mar 22, 2011
Bucharest, Romania
Wow, it's up :)

After seeing the text on the website I wanted to make some changes. I downloaded SmartGit but in the end that was not necessary. I was able to do the fork, edit and pull request online on GitHub. So, you have a pull request :cool:

I noticed some issues:

- The string "input.dosing_method.ei_pps" is referred in the code but not defined in the file (see image below).

eipps.png

This happens only if you select premixed fertilizers. I suppose the code should be updated to refer to the existing "input.dosing_method.pps".

- The link "Start over" sends the user to the English version, not to the currently selected translation

- I didn't understand the meaning of "The EI ranges below are over time for most tanks" so I'm not sure I translated it correctly

- The error "There was an error! Please only use numbers (3, 3.0, 3/4, 0,75, etc) and make sure all visible questions are answered." is not internationalized, I received the English text although there was a Romanian version in the file.

- some other bits that are not internationalized: (I hope you manage to recognize the bits I am refering to despite the Romanian text, but if not, I'll try to be more precise)
notin3.png

notin2.png

(and all the other helpful tooltips)

Florin Ilia

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Mar 22, 2011
Bucharest, Romania
PS, apologies, I didn't see your latest message when I started work. I completely ignored the template file and I worked like this:
1. I forked the project (I removed my previous fork as I didn't know how to sync that one with yours)
2. I edited ro.yml online
3. I saved it
4. I pressed "Pull Request"

Florin

Wet

Lifetime Members
Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2006
USA
DanielSev and Florin Ilia: your translations are up.

Florin,

Thank you! I totally missed the tooltips in the translation and have added new keys for them. I've sent you a pull request, which you should be able to merge, then edit ro.yml again and send another pull back.

I've caught most of the rest of the bugs except the error page and the output's units, the later of which has been pending since this version went to Alpha. There's just a rewrite I've not started yet and I'll have to think about how to make this work consistently.

"The EI ranges below are over time for most tanks" is in the context that EI will accumulate levels over time, and so the daily dose will not always be within the middle of EI's ranges, but that the tank's levels will gradually build up to those levels in the dosing chart. As I type this I see how terrible the English version is in the first place and will edit that, too.

Anyway, awesome. Thank you!

DanielSev

Prolific Poster
Nov 9, 2011
Seville, Spain
Hi Wet,

I have continued on the translation, please find below an updated version of the es.yml file. I'm not sure if grammar is now 100% correct as some of the automatically generated text is meant for the word order used in english (word order is different in spanish, e.g. adjectives come before nouns in english, where as in spanish the order is the opposite). I will try to check it as soon as you update the online code.

Best regards,
Daniel

Code:
units:
  element: Elemento/Compuesto
  ppm: ppm
  degree: grado
  us_gal: galones internacionales (USA)
  imp_gal: galones imperiales (UK)
  Liter: L
  milliliter: mL
  five_milliter: cucharilla de té/tapón/5 ml
  pump_bottle: pumps
  grams: g
  milligrams: mg
input:
  aquarium: Mi acuario es de
  source:
    text: uso fertilizantes 
    diy: hágalo usted mismo
    commercial: producto comercial
    label: 
  diy:
    method_text: usando
    solution: disuelto en solución
    dry: compuesto seco
  solution:
    text: usando un recipiente de
    container: 
    dose: añadiendo dosis de 
    tooltip: Si en la lista de opciones inferior se especifica "resultados de lo que estoy añadiendo" esta será la dosis que se añada a la solución.
  dosing_method:
    text: y estoy calculando
    target: dosis necesaria para alcanzar una concentración concreta
    dose: resultados de lo que estoy añadiendo
    ei: Método EI (Indice Estimativo)
    ei_daily: Método EI diario
    ei_low: Método EI para niveles bajos de luz/semanal
    pps: Método de preservación constante (PPS)
    pmdd: Método PMDD
  dose: 
    tooltip: Puedes usar números formateados como 1/8, 1.25, 2,50, or 3
  target: Mi objetivo es
output:
  dose: Tu agregado de %1 para tu
  dose_solution: contenedor, con dosis de %1 para tu
  dose_end: acuario agregando
  target: Para alcanzar un objetivo de %1 necesitaras agregar %2 de %3 en tu recipiente de 
  target_solution: Agregar %1 de esa mezcla en tu acuario de 
  target_end: para conseguir:
warnings:
  solubility: La solubilidad de %1 a temperature ambiente es %2.  Deberas ajustar tu dosis.
  k3po4: El K3PO4 disuelto en una solución tiende a incrementar el pH debido a la naturaleza del KOH, que es una base fuerte. ray-the-pilot explica esto a sus jardineros [URL="http://bit.ly/ev7txA"]en APC[/URL]
  eddha: Ten presente que el EDDHA puede tenir el agua de rojo incluso usando dosis moderadas.  Puede ver este video de una dosis de 0.2ppm [URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCTu8ClcMKc"]aqui[/URL].
  urea: Este producto tiene un porcentage desconocido de N como Urea y NO3.  El calculo y la tabla  de abajo funciona con equivalentes a NO3.
  cu: Tu dosis de Cu es %1 % de la recomendada para peces sensibles e invertebrados. Puedes considerar reducir tu dosis de %2 por una de %3 [URL="http://y.[petalphile.com/cu"]Mas información acerca de la toxicidad del Cu aqui[/URL]
chart:
  text: Concentraciones relativas %1 para los métodos 
  pmdd: PMDD
  walstad: Walstad
  pps: PPS-Pro
  ei: El Indice Estimativo
  user: y tu dosificación
  long_term_chart: Quieres modelar los efectos a largo plazo de tus dosis de %1? Haz Clic %2 aqui!
methods_text:  
  ei: El éxito del método EI depende de un buen nivel de CO2, buena circulacion, y cambios regulares de agua. La cantidad de luz pasado un cierto nivel moderado no es tan importantes.
  ei_daily: Este es el método EI tradicional reducido a dosis diarias.
  ei_low: Es es el método EI para acuarios con poca luz y dosificación semanal. Para la mayor parte de los tanques, los rangos de EI abajo son a lo largo del tiempo.
  pps: Hemos calculado para una dosis diaria de PPS-Pro. El rango recomendado más abajo es para tanques maduros y estables.
  pmdd: El método PMDD no dosifica %1. Sin embargo, quizás deberías considerar hacerlo tu.
  ada: La fertilizacion de sistemas ADA incluye sustratos ricos en nutrientes, mientras que los fertilizantes liquidos añaden un suplemento a la columna de agua hasta que el substrato es consumido por completo. El analisis de ADA es una cortesia de Plantbrain/Tom Barr y puede ser encontrado en [URL="http://barrreport.com"]The Barr Report[/URL]
misc:
  calc: Una Calculadora de Nutrientes Mas
  restart: Comenzar de nuevo
  submit_button: Calcular
  translations: Traducciones
  contribute: Contribuye a las traducciones
  mobile_link: Sitio Web para Móviles
  noscript: Para el funcionamiento correcto de esta Calculadora web se require que Javascript este habilitado.
  error: Hubo un error! Por favor solo use los numeros (3, 3.0, 3/4, 0,75, etc) y asegurese que todas la informacion requerida ha sido ingresada correctamente.

Florin Ilia

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Mar 22, 2011
Bucharest, Romania
Don't mention it, friend. Everyone using the calculator owes you a huge THANKS. Providing international versions is the least we can do.

I translated the new tooltips, did some minor fine-tuning and sent you a new pull request.

Keep up the good work :)

Florin

Wet

Lifetime Members
Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2006
USA
Your contributions are live in the alpha site, gentlemen. Thank you again and again :)

Daniel,

It's the references to dosing blocking you, with the placeholders %1 and %2 and stuff? If so, you can switch the order if you need to under the same key. For example, this is fine for output.target:

You will need to add %2 of %3 to reach your target of %1

Let me know what you think.

DanielSev

Prolific Poster
Nov 9, 2011
Seville, Spain
Hi,

I'm not sure how to solve it without changing the programming, but there is a problem with this part of the code of es.yml:

Code:
target: Para alcanzar un objetivo de %1 necesitaras agregar %2 de %3 en tu recipiente de 
target_solution: Agregar %1 de esa mezcla en tu acuario de 
target_end: para conseguir

The problem is that using dry compounds the output sentence is:

Para alcanzar un objetivo de %1 necesitaras agregar %2 de %3 en tu recipiente de XXX mL. Agregar %1 de esa mezcla en tu acuario de XXX L para conseguir

This is correct. But when using a solution you get:

Para alcanzar un objetivo de %1 necesitaras agregar %2 de %3 en tu recipiente de XXX L para conseguir

and this is not correct you should get:

Para alcanzar un objetivo de %1 necesitaras agregar %2 de %3 en tu acuario de XXX L para conseguir

This problem is due to word order in spanish. May be you should consider two different sentences without having a common end.

Sorry to disturb your programming !

Best regards,
Daniel

DanielSev

Prolific Poster
Nov 9, 2011
Seville, Spain
Florin Ilia;76117 said:
Don't mention it, friend. Everyone using the calculator owes you a huge THANKS. Providing international versions is the least we can do.

I fully concur with this. The calculator is an awesome help for everyone that wants to dose using EI methods. Thanks for your work !