This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Wet/Dry,.. Should I use one?

Discussion in 'General Plant Topics' started by Whiskey, May 19, 2011.

1. Whiskey

Whiskey Subscriber

Local Time:
    6:55 PM
    Hello All!

Long time no talk, once the sun goes down, and I can get a picture with no glare I'm going to post an update on me and my tank.

Over the last couple years that I've been concentrating on school, and living with roomates I've found myself really missing my larger tank; though I don't have space right now, I've decided to make a plan for just what I'm going to do when I graduate, get my own place, and have the space for a nice show tank again.

Let's assume that money is not a problem, that's not really true, but I have enough time to save, and this is sortof a reward for allot of hard work, so I don't mind spending.

The things I've decided on so far:

The tank will be 75 Gallon
    It will have 2X54W Tek T5 retro, and 1X40W NO bulbs lighting it, putting the lighting at 2 W/G
    The lights will be in a hood I make, and will be about 12 inches up.
    It will be dosed based on the EI System
    It will be CO2 injected, pressurized using an external reactor
    It will house a collection of "Easy" plants, crypt, java fern, stem plants, anubias etc - nothing exotic, the goal is a nice looking, low maintenance tank, that can be up for years to come.

Now I come to filtration - I've found over the years that the fish seem to be much healthier and more active if I have a filter that "Splashes" some in addition to, or instead of a Canister filter.

Right now I'm using a Canister, and a HOB filter which works great,.. but I would love to hear from the Wet/Dry crowd. I'd like to hear about your experiences, good and bad. If you had the option to buy a reef ready tank that was drilled, would you add the extra expense and complication by adding a wet dry and it's associated plumbing? What do you like? What do you not like? Generally, how has your experience been?

I have had large Reef tanks with sumps, so I know what is involved, but I have never had a wet dry, so I'd like to hear about them.

Thanks for your advice!
    J~

2. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator

Local Time:
    Tank is big enough to make it practical.

Wet/dry is like a large CO2 reactor basically, but since O2 and CO2 are independent, and you want to add O2, just not degas CO2...this works nicely if the chamber is sealed up.

I'm like you about the fish and filter type, but...........I have both the CO2 and the O2 data over 24 hour periods on several tanks to back it up as well now.

3. Htomassini

Htomassini Guest

Local Time:
    12:55 PM
    I personally like the wet/dry with a polishing canister. I experimented with old 90 and I moved from a wetdry to 2 canisters and my o2 concentration dropped significantly, fish were not happy.

There are a lot of really nice wet drys out there and even if the tank is not drilled you can use a hang on overflow and skim the surfave to keep it clean.

4. Gerryd

Gerryd Plant Guru Team
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Hi,

If the tank is reef ready and pre-drilled, then there is no special plumbing for a wet/dry as opposed to a basic sump.

Wet/drys are easy to use and maintain and in combination with a sump cannot be beat. Wet/drys add lots of 02 as well..

Just need to seal as Tom says if using c02. Sumps as you know can contain heaters, c02 pumps, etc.

I had a wet/dry sump on my 180 but now used closed loop (CL). I will be using a sump and wet/dry on my new 220 gal.

Hope this helps.

#4 Gerryd, May 21, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 21, 2011