Wet Dry and Sump Operational Demo Video

Gerryd

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2007
South Florida
Hey all,

Here it is up and running. I misplace my camera during the build and thus did not film the assembly/installation.

Last edited by a moderator:

gparr

Subscriber
Oct 31, 2013
When you get the time could you explain and show how your cerges reactor is working in relation with your sump?

Gerryd

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2007
South Florida
Hi,

I also posted a cerges walk thru vid. Did u watch that?

- - - Updated - - -

Hi,

I also posted a cerges walk thru vid. Did u watch that?

gparr

Subscriber
Oct 31, 2013
Yes, sir...I watched it.

What I am trying to envision...do you feed the cerges with a separate pump from the sump? If so, what kind of pump are you using? And how are you feeding the CO2 into the cerges?

Thanks for your time!

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, sir...I watched it.

What I am trying to envision...do you feed the cerges with a separate pump from the sump? If so, what kind of pump are you using? And how are you feeding the CO2 into the cerges?

Thanks for your time!

Gerryd

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2007
South Florida
gparr;120682 said:
Yes, sir...I watched it.

Thanks for your time!

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, sir...I watched it.

Thanks for your time!

Hi,

I have a Rio submersible pump model 1000. I place that in the sump where it runs 24/7. I feed the c02 into this pump that has a DIY needle wheel to break up the c02. I use eheim tubing to connect the Rio outlet to the Cerges to get the c02 enriched water INTO the Cerges. Then more eheim tubing to connec the Cerges discharge back to the sump.

It is not that complex and I am fairly certain I have covered this in other videos.

Once, running there is nothing to 'see'. It is like looking at a canister filter :)

Hope this helps.

- - - Updated - - -

gparr;120682 said:
Yes, sir...I watched it.

Thanks for your time!

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, sir...I watched it.

Thanks for your time!

Hi,

I have a Rio submersible pump model 1000. I place that in the sump where it runs 24/7. I feed the c02 into this pump that has a DIY needle wheel to break up the c02. I use eheim tubing to connect the Rio outlet to the Cerges to get the c02 enriched water INTO the Cerges. Then more eheim tubing to connec the Cerges discharge back to the sump.

It is not that complex and I am fairly certain I have covered this in other videos.

Once, running there is nothing to 'see'. It is like looking at a canister filter :)

Hope this helps.

gparr

Subscriber
Oct 31, 2013
This helps greatly...and thanks for taking the time to answer!

Another question...

How hard is it to balance out the overflow box with the return of the wet dry filter so they stay in agreement with each other?

- - - Updated - - -

This helps greatly...and thanks for taking the time to answer!

Another question...

How hard is it to balance out the overflow box with the return of the wet dry filter so they stay in agreement with each other?

UDGags

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 13, 2009
Kettering, Ohio, United States
Balancing is easy....I run the same system as Gerry (I copied) with a Herbie.

The only difference is I use a Mag 9.5 for my cerges and its on the same timer as co2.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

shoggoth43

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 15, 2009
Gerry,

Is there a reason you didn't raise the emergency standpipe a little more to keep the water from spilling back down over the internal weir?

Also, I'm curious as to the reason for the valve on your emergency pipe in the outside box. Was that for isolation or some other purposes?

I will admit that I did not even think of using metal valves for this purpose.

Did you try the valves down at the sump instead of up by the overflow? I found down near the sump purges the air so much faster from the lines but could see how making adjustments would take longer.

-
S

Gerryd

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2007
South Florida
shoggoth43;120794 said:
Gerry,

Is there a reason you didn't raise the emergency standpipe a little more to keep the water from spilling back down over the internal weir?

Also, I'm curious as to the reason for the valve on your emergency pipe in the outside box. Was that for isolation or some other purposes?

Did you try the valves down at the sump instead of up by the overflow? I found down near the sump purges the air so much faster from the lines but could see how making adjustments would take longer.

-
S

Hey,

Not sure I understand your first question??? The standpipe simply helps to keep the water level higher is all and helps with noise reduction.

The dual valve setup is to close for maintenance OR to swap full vs siphon drains if needed :) It was little cost/effort to make both inlets the same.

I have heard that valves closer to the sump are better, but I opted as you thought for ease of access.

I liked the brass valves better than the cheap pvc gate valves that are hard to turn over time. These are easy to adjust and allow for a finer adjustment. Plus I like the look.

Does this help?

- - - Updated - - -

shoggoth43;120794 said:
Gerry,

-
S

Hey,

Not sure I understand your first question??? The standpipe simply helps to keep the water level higher is all and helps with noise reduction.

The dual valve setup is to close for maintenance OR to swap full vs siphon drains if needed :) It was little cost/effort to make both inlets the same.

I have heard that valves closer to the sump are better, but I opted as you thought for ease of access.

I liked the brass valves better than the cheap pvc gate valves that are hard to turn over time. These are easy to adjust and allow for a finer adjustment. Plus I like the look.

Does this help?

shoggoth43

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 15, 2009
I have an Eshoppes overflow. It's a U tube design. The external box has 3 chambers and the tube goes into the middle chamber. The water spills over the walls on either side and into the outside chambers with the bulkheads and standpipes. Because the box is so narrow the water velocity is pretty high and if the water level is too low it will pour over the walls between the chambers with bubbles and noise. Consequently, I have my standpipe an inch or so above the walls so that the water is even across all of the chambers.

It looks as though yours spills over so I was curious if you'd tried a taller standpipe and water level in the external box.

-
S

ltb420

Lifetime Members
Lifetime Member
May 31, 2012
Bay Area
Hey Gerry,

I,m in the process of switching over to a CPR overflow and have a quick question. I have read some material where the person just shaved the PVC into the bulk head and viola ready to go. I was wondering if you glued yours to the bulk head and if so did you just use PVC glue? I don't know if I want to trust just a pressure fit with my floors.

Gerryd

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2007
South Florida
ltb420;121416 said:
Hey Gerry,

I,m in the process of switching over to a CPR overflow and have a quick question. I have read some material where the person just shaved the PVC into the bulk head and viola ready to go. I was wondering if you glued yours to the bulk head and if so did you just use PVC glue? I don't know if I want to trust just a pressure fit with my floors.

Hi,

I did NOT glue them at all. The pvc had to be tapped into the bulkhead fittings and they seemed fairly tight to me. I have 3 different cpr overflows and all setup the same way. So far no issues.

That said I also use zip ties to support the intakes so they don't pull out on me someday :)

I would suggest using a larger threaded connection if it will fit on the bulkhead. That way just use teflon tape.

Hope this helps.

- - - Updated - - -

ltb420;121416 said:
Hey Gerry,

Hi,

I did NOT glue them at all. The pvc had to be tapped into the bulkhead fittings and they seemed fairly tight to me. I have 3 different cpr overflows and all setup the same way. So far no issues.

That said I also use zip ties to support the intakes so they don't pull out on me someday :)

I would suggest using a larger threaded connection if it will fit on the bulkhead. That way just use teflon tape.

Hope this helps.

ltb420

Lifetime Members
Lifetime Member
May 31, 2012
Bay Area
thanks that makes perfect sense. It did feel very snug I just Didn't want to deal with a flood. I will also support the bottom of the tubes so they don't pull out.