Well Ive got my tank at last

bobtail

Prolific Poster
May 18, 2007
Wirral NW england
Im starting a 48" x 12" x 15"
Ive got tetra complete, Arthur Bowers aquatic compost and play sand from B&Q
I shopped at Aquatics-online for my Interpet twin 55w convertagear and daylight tubes and a Hagen co2 system.
The rocks are yorkshire stone.
I bought a new old stock Nuova power filter from Limestar tropicals for £40
I managed to cadge some filter culture and some Elodea and hygro just to start me off growing while I wait for my order to arrive from Greenline and replacement tube from A-Online It stopped working on day 2 :-(

eds

Junior Poster
Apr 22, 2007
Nottingham, UK
Looking good! I like those big block shaped rocks in the centre, they'll look great with some low plants surrounding them. Keep us updated!

bigdanne

Junior Poster
May 1, 2007
Some serious potential!!

I love the "ironing board tripod" i'm gonna use that one, i use my dining room table with a box of crunchy nut cornflakes on there then the camera balanced on on top!:eek:

Frolicsome_Flora

Guru Class Expert
Jan 12, 2007
Dorset, UK
bigdanne;17343 said:
Some serious potential!!

I love the "ironing board tripod" i'm gonna use that one, i use my dining room table with a box of crunchy nut cornflakes on there then the camera balanced on on top!:eek:

ironing board? whats one of those? huh? ug?

bobtail

Prolific Poster
May 18, 2007
Wirral NW england
Frolicsome_Flora;17370 said:
ironing board? whats one of those? huh? ug?

Its for taking creases out of irony?
Anyhow Its just rained all the last months rain in just 2 hrs so my water butt is full *cue 25% water change*

SuperColey1

Guru Class Expert
Feb 17, 2007
Lincoln, UK
Problems?

Working for William Sinclair Horticulture (which makes J Arthur Bowers products on my site) I think you may find you get some Ph problems with this product in the aquarium.

It should say somewhere on the bag that its not for use with lime hating plants as it contains lime.

I will check on the formulation at work tomorrow and see exactly what is in it and come back to you on this.

Sorry for the bad news, but you never know it may be a sales ploy to sell this brand as well as the others.

Andy

SuperColey1

Guru Class Expert
Feb 17, 2007
Lincoln, UK
Formulation of JAB Aquatic Compost

As promised I got the breakdown of the components of JAB Aquatic today and I don't think it will make ggod reading but as I am not a chemist I don't know for sure, I just buy all the raw materials for the ranges.

Dolomite D300 Lime - 0.14259%
Grit Sand - 7.12928%
Peat - 30.89354%
Phosphate Rock - 0.02139%
Triple Superphosphate - 0.00713%
Potassium Nitrate - 0.00751%
Ammonium Sulphate - 0.00561%
Mono Ammonium Phosphate (NOT MKP) - 0.00437%
Magnesium Sulphate (Calcined) - 0.0093%
Iron Chelate - 0.00033%
Zinc Sulphate Monohydrate - 0.00002%
Boric Acid - 0.00003%
Sodium Molybdate - 0.00004%
Copper Sulphate Pentahydrate - 0.00009%
Manganese Sulphate - 0.00009%
Sterilised Soil - 61.78707%

As you can see they are not just the simple composts that people imagine. They are mainly peat and soil based but do have lots of base and trace elements.

It is very important to note that although garden fertilises are often very similar by nature to the aquarium fertilisers they can be deadly when they areput into small quantities of water rather than the open ground where they are distilled by rains and groundwater.

I am no chemist but I would guess the Lime and peat will affect the Ph quite a lot.

Also note that there is ammonium added into this (and most garden) product which is deadly in the aquarium.

Maybe someone like Tom or anyone else who understands these components can enlarge on what is good/bad or downright pointless etc. but this is for your help.

p.s. Argos, B&Q, JAB, Silvaperl and almost every other brand come from the same quarry. (Argos is cheapest to buy) Playsand is unsterilised whereas Dry/Silver sand is sterilised so I would use Dry Sand as most of us have Nutrient under the sand so do not require the natural nutrient the sand may contain and therefore have no need to risk using an unsterilised product when the sterilised is only a little more expensive.

Hope this info is useful, and hope someone else can elaborate on the chemistry a little more than I am able to.

Andy

bobtail

Prolific Poster
May 18, 2007
Wirral NW england
What an excellent example of why clubs like this are so useful.
Thanks so much andy :D

I see that there is a lot more peat than lime But I have tested the water and had these results :-

PH 7.6
KH 10
GH 10 - 16
NO2 0
NO3 50
I have CO2 going in at a rate of 8 ppm I think (according to Chucks calculator)

Im getting good pearling and some thread algae

Aeropars

Junior Poster
Apr 6, 2007
Only 8ppm? The target should be 30ppm but then again i doubt your actually at 8ppm. Chicks calculator doesnt tak in to account any impurities in the water which screw up the equation. The best way to check is by using a drop checker with a 4kh reference solution.

bobtail

Prolific Poster
May 18, 2007
Wirral NW england
Ive since added a diy co2 bottle straight into a powerhead which has improved things the algae plant balance is swinging in the plants favour .

more pics in my sig