Welcomes and Introductions

George Farmer

Lifetime Members
Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2006
Stamford, Lincs, UK
Hi everyone,

Firstly, a big thanks to Tom for helping to start this up, and to Greg Watson for setting up this sub-forum.

A UK plant club has been in the pipeline for a while but it took a kick up the butt in the form of Tom's initiative to get it this far. So here we are.....

I'll say a few words about myself as one member of the society that intends to take an active/lead role. I know there are some others too so I look forward to hearing from you here...

I'm George, 30, live in Stamford, Lincolnshire (just moved), husband and father of two girls (2 and 10).

I am a Weapons Technician in the RAF but my main passion is planted tanks, both the science and the art.

Many of you may know me from Tropical Fish Forums and Aqua Essentials forum where I am also a moderator.

I write regularly for Practical Fishkeeping magazine and am their high-tech planted tank expert, responsible for answering the public's questions on planted aquaria matters that involve EI, CO2 and more modern equipment etc.

I believe that the UK planted tank hobby is just starting a significant boom in popularity, in part thanks to PFK's increase in planted coverage and Aqua Essentials' and TFF's input.

This society is also a symptom of this boom and I have no doubt it will grow from strength to strength.

So welcome along, one and all and please introduce yourselves.

The future is bright, the future is green! :D

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
Please make sure to tell folks about yourself and in particular, the region where you live. You folks will want to figure out where one another lives so you can do the group buys, share cost, exchange plants, be able to help newbies find CO2 gas tanks cheap etc.

Regards,
Tom Barr

dave_gray2077

Junior Poster
Mar 8, 2007
Hartlepool
Hello

Just registered with the site.

Im very new to aquariums. I have just finished setting up my first (and planted) tank.

I live in the Northeast in Hartlepool near Newcastle. Looking forward to being able to get help from some of the UK’s most famous Aquarium enthusiasts.:cool:

Frolicsome_Flora

Guru Class Expert
Jan 12, 2007
Dorset, UK
I think Im having a major blonde moment, I cant find where to register, could someone be so kind as to wave it infront of my face? Very grateful!

Moody

Prolific Poster
Aug 31, 2006
Wirral, North West,England.
Hi all im Graeme Edwards, 26 and allmost married.

My working career started in dairy farming and now has progressed into working at the biggets UK zoo, Chester Zoo. I am part of the animial supplies team. My job is very vairied from breeding black crickets to driving tactors to animal collection around the Uk, looking after animal in quarantine,you name it I do it.

My passion is planted tanks, photography, sound daft but i love moss, I love japanese style gardens, modern and traditional. I love motorbikes, music and food, relly love food, mmmmmm fooood!:) I love being in the mountains and the wilds, love to be in nature when I can. Its a great place to be inspierd.

I enterd my first Aquascaping contest last year, the AGA contest. Not a winner but its great to get my tank on the site. I recomend any one to raise thier game and have a go at a compotion.

I live on the Wirral in the north west. Im 10 minutes away from Chester Zoo and 5 munites away from Blue Planet Aquarium.

I am also shockingly bad at spelling at times.

Regards,
Graeme.

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
Frolicsome_Flora;15704 said:
I think Im having a major blonde moment, I cant find where to register, could someone be so kind as to wave it infront of my face? Very grateful!

You are already registered, it's just for the site and keep spam away.
You really are blonde? :cool:
So am I so I can say that:)

Regards,
Tom Barr

2pods

Junior Poster
Jun 28, 2006
West of Scotland
Me too..

I'm Peter

I've had tanks and ponds for three years or so, but have only recently wanted a "proper" planted tank.

I like fish (natch), animals (got two cats of pensionable age), music (playing and listening).

I live 25 miles west of Glasgow, and am currently wrestling with my very first Co2 system monitored by some of Bill's fine 4dkh water and a malaysian dropper.

Peter

chr15_8

Junior Poster
Apr 6, 2007
Ruislip Middx
im chris 17 and from middlesex (ruislip)

im in the process of redoing my 3rd planted tank (1st didnt work and i was stilling learning) and my other is a 2.5 gallon nano

i like planted tanks and cars

im currently at college one day a week doing an electrical apprenticeship

fishyfeet

Junior Poster
Apr 6, 2007
essex UK
hi, my name is di, and im blonde too, and from Essex to boot (no jokes thanks).

Ive three tanks and i suppose they are planted as they have plants growing in them, but i can only grow what grows if you get me. Lots of plants have failed and im stuck with vallis, camboba, hygophelia, anubias, moss balls do will, oh java fern and a red plants i cant remember the name off. Im always passing on bits of my plants as they do take over the tank completely and i usually throw a bucket full a month.

Afroturf

Junior Poster
Apr 6, 2007
Nottingham England
Hi my name is Steven i'm 20 from Nottingham i'm currently sort of a student i'm taking a year out and i'm thinking of training to be a chef rarther than the building surveying course i'm current doing at Liverpool Uni.

I currently have one 25g tank but i'll be getting a new 50g tank in the next week or so which i am too excited about. I love tanks that look very natural, dark and junglyfied, ones with lots of wood covered in moss giving a prehistoric feel. I'm not fond of scape with lots of bright, colourful and clean looking stem plants, I like things to look a little messy.

A very big thanks to Tom for getting this society going.

BHornsey

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Aug 4, 2006
Doncaster, UK
Hi. I'm Brian. I'm 46 (Today :D ) and from Doncaster.

I've always had an interest in fish tanks but only started setting up my own about 2 years ago. It's gotten quite out of hand! I have four tanks going at the moment, varying between 10 UK Galls and 115. I read the post 'stages of an aquatic gardener' recently. I haven't reached the top step but I'm marching my way up :) :) :)

BTW, as a lifetime member of the Barr Report, does this automatically include this sub-forum?

Frolicsome_Flora

Guru Class Expert
Jan 12, 2007
Dorset, UK
Tom Barr;15707 said:
You are already registered, it's just for the site and keep spam away.
You really are blonde? :cool:
So am I so I can say that:)

Regards,
Tom Barr

hehe thanks Tom, and moderately blonde!

Anyways, introductions.

My name is Matt, Im 32, I live in dorset, near the coast, and have done for most of my life. Ive loved fish tanks since i was small, but didnt get a chance to have one until about 10 years ago. always had some plants in there but never really did well until i found you guys/girls.

Im a qualified scuba instructor, but dont teach any more as it spoiled my own enjoyment of the sport. Im also a qualified financial adviser but i hated that and quit that too.. im currently looking to get into IT support as computers is really where Im at. I love to garden/cook and i try to be as un-boy like as i possibly can (long story for a different type of forum).

Anyways, thats me :) warts and all.

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
BHornsey;15720 said:
Hi. I'm Brian. I'm 46 (Today :D ) and from Doncaster.

BTW, as a lifetime member of the Barr Report, does this automatically include this sub-forum?

Happy B day and yes, you are a registered user. That's all that's required other than living in the UK and willing to participate. I do not fall into that grouping but I'm just trying to help out and get the hobby working together in the UK so you folks advance the level of scaping and knowledge, share local resources and reduce cost.

Those are things that will attract new members.
the UK is by no means small either, so knowing where everyone is located will help form core groups.

Regards,
Tom Barr

mlawson

Junior Poster
Mar 28, 2007
Hi,

I'm Mike, I'm only 14 and from the Kent area.

I've been keeping fish for 8 years, but only properly for the last 3. I have 10 tanks all containing some plants and in the last year I've been more serious about keeping planted tanks. I have to do a lot of little jobs to afford everything for my tanks, but I just about manage. I guess I have as much as a passion for plants as I do with fish.

I'm pretty new to Forums, but am a member of TFF, The puffer forum and about a week ago here. I've subscribed to PFK for the last 2 years and I have started a high tech planted nano with the PFK cube.

Cheers,
Mike

neil1973

Prolific Poster
Dec 17, 2005
Stirling, UK
Hi. I’m Neil, I’m 33 and currently a student living in Stirling.

I’ve had kept and had a strong interest in fish for as long as I can remember. I have maintained a plant focused tank for about 2 years.

It would be great if this area of the hobby could gain more popularity in the UK.

IanFuller

Junior Poster
Apr 6, 2007
Malvern, Worcestershire
Hi
I'm Ian Fuller (no not the cory world one:) )
I live in Malvern Worcestershire with my wife and 3 boys (twins aged 3 and oldest 12) I working making cardboard boxes for the luxury food market.

I have 2 tanks that are planted and I use Malvern spring water for my water changes.
The larger of my tanks (75ltrs) has 2.5wpg lighting and DIY CO2. It planted with Hygrophilla, Vallis and E. tenellus, I intend to add a nice 'red' plant as a centre piece sometime soon:D

I'm not blonde and I can't spell:rolleyes:

Cheers
Ian

Paul

Guru Class Expert
Jan 24, 2005
Droitwich, UK
Hiya all

I currently have a 300L discus tank that has c02 and 2.5wpg and am attempting to do a decent planted discus tank - something I have not yet managed.....

I also have a couple of cory only tanks and am currently setting up a 45L nano planted tank for my son:D

jimbooo

Junior Poster
Apr 6, 2007
hi everyone im james or jmbooo as you may know me, from tff. i live in stotfold, herts/beds. im 27yrs old work in recruitment (doctors) and have been keeping high tech planted tanks for 3 years. my current planting layout consits of java fern, anubias nana, tiger lotus lillies and hygrophyllia corymbosa. ill happily share cuttings as and when i have surplus. massive thanks to tom and greg for moving so quickly on this i have a feeling this is going to get big! heres

my tank which im getting ready for the pfk comp

IMAG0039.jpg

IMAG0025.jpg